So its been nearly 5 years since "Powerbook" became "Macbook Pro", still weird?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I remember when the switch to Intel came about and the name Powerbook was changed to the Macbook Pro and at the time a lot of people complained that it sounded too weird. I'd guess half the people with powerbooks thought the name was a joke but here we are after nearly 5 years, what do you guys think about the name now?

For me personally, I think the name Powerbook sounds weird now as to a Macbook Pro. LOL.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PowerBook still sounds more powerful and awe inspiring to me. Macbook Pro, seems fake-ish and poorly named. How do you get five years? I'm only getting 4 1/2.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I can live with MacBook, but MacBook Pro still sounds strange, and I never had a PowerBook to begin with, only an iBook, the sturdiest laptop I ever had.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I still prefer PowerBook and iBook. Although I might be a tad partial to those names.

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Well approaching to 5 anyway. Everytime I see or hear powerbook, the first thing that comes to my mind is, eww too slow!!

I did switch to a Mac in 2005 with the last generation 17" 1.67GHz powerbook G4 (awesome notebook btw). But now the macbook pro name is embedded in my mind and I only see or feel positive things hearing that name rather than "powerbook."

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The Apple Powerbook was by no means a slow computer, it ran the OS that was designed for it at the time just like Apple's latest computers run Snow Leopard. I'm sure the future Mac notebooks will make what's currently out seem like snails running a marathon, LOL. I hated Macbook Pro in the beginning but my family and friends who were not Mac heads didn't know what a Powerbook was at the time. Now today, people know Macbook Pro almost as much as the iMac. I know a lot of people that do music and all I hear is "I want a Macbook Pro", even one of the Hip Hop jamz I listen to mentions a Macbook Pro so I've come to love the name. :)

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I still dislike the name "Macbook Pro" although Macbook sounds as passable as ibook. Moreover though, the "Macbook Pro" name represents everything I dislike about Apple's marketing team, which is probably a good part of why I don't like it.