so I've got to get a new iPhone today, can't decide which one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by astromoose, Nov 29, 2008.

1. astromoose macrumors member

astromoose

I've had an iPhone 1st generation since they came out on June 29th a year and a half ago.
    Yesterday, using it to play music docked to a third party speaker system, it got fried. The phone is done. Some kindof bad power connection shorted the USB pins completely.

Anyway I'm going to get a new one today and I have the option to get the first generation one again for $199 through the "out of warranty equipment replacement program".

I know many would consider it a no brainer to go ahead upgrade to the 3G for the same price of $199. But I actually can't decide, I really liked the flat metal back and classic look of the old phone. I also think it gets better battery life and is more durable. This thing was like a tank of a cell phone, I really wish it would have just survived through next june/iphone refresh. Although I wouldn't mind having the GPS of the new one.

anyone care to give input?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I understand your hesitation, but I would just go ahead and upgrade. The OS has been the big problem so far, but with the release of 2.2 things are a lot better.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I would suggest finding out how the 3G coverage is in your area. That would be the first factor in my decision. If the coverage is okay to poor, I would definitely stick with the first gen. Personally I think it looks and feels better.

After that it's a matter of preference in what you pay. If you think the 3G and GPS are worth an extra $15/month (I sure as hell don't) then go for the newer technology. It'll be worth more if you decide to sell it if/when you upgrade in June.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

3G.. move forwards with technology, don't stay in the dark ages! :D

5. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

There we go

6. astromoose thread starter macrumors member

astromoose

well I was going to go with the new one, but apple hooked it up with a free replacement of my old phone. nice, way to go apple.