So I've had a change of heart on the 5C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tzuten, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Tzuten macrumors 6502

My initial posts on the 5C after Apple's announcement were not the most favorable towards the C. That customers were being shortchanged to an extent .. However today when I went to take a look and felt it, it's not a cheap product. I then pulled my iPhone 5 out, wrapped in a cheap plastic case and chuckled. Sure I have the "premium" aluminum phone but I am forced to protect it due to how easily the black finish scuffs.

Is the 5C better than the 5? IMO, no... However I paid the extra 100 bucks last year to get it. Biggest gripe about the 5C is the lack of a black option.

So the point is, before casting judgement go down and take a look. Hold the phone and you may have a different outlook.

2. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

I held one at the store as well. Then today I had a friend over who's still on a 3gs. The back of which reminded me of the 5C I had held earlier in the day. I think it's pretty cute and probably sturdy enough. Perfect for people who don't need the bells and whistles. (I like my whistles how did I love without finger scanning?)

3. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

i agree , wait till someone feels it to have a judgement on it, while i got the 5s due to it being their "flagship" phone, i wish it had the option to have the plastic housing, it felt REALLY nice in your hands

4. KPOM macrumors G5

For $39 you can get a leather housing for the 5s. I ordered one, and my only complaint is that it isn't easy to take the phone out of the 5s case. But unless you are putting it into a car mount or dock that's not an issue. In some respects, the 5s in a leather case looks and feels like a fancy 5c. I'm sure that was the intent. Note that Apple didn't actually sell an "official" 5 case last year. Something sparked the color initiative.

5. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

i'm definitely going to be buying one of the leather cases (probably red) but i'll have to go and see them in the store and feel it on my phone ( if they allow that) before i buy the case

6. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

the majority of people on these boards are most likely to prefer flagship products. But casual consumers will probably prefer the cheaper 5C, and a lot of people are driven by price. A friend of mine 3 months ago bought a new iPhone, a 4S because it was cheaper than the 5.

i played with a 5C as well, doesn't feel cheap in the least bit.

7. MRSucks macrumors member

Finally saw some 5cs at the Apple store earlier today.

Stunning.

8. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I agree. While I wanted the new camera and ordered 5S, 5C would have felt more like a "new phone."

Now, I do like the metal though because plastic with a clear coat like that is going to get the swirls / micro scratches under the right light/angle.

However, when brand new, the plastic phones in color are stunning.

I wish they weren't so much to buy off contract and I'd buy one as like an iPod.

10. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I looked at them at the Apple Store yesterday and I was very impressed. Many people on here talk about the 5c as a downgrade. Yet 2 weeks ago, it would have matched or beaten (battery mAh, front camera) Apple's flagship iPhone 5. Yet a few days later it is a downgrade? There is too much hate toward the 5C. They have done a fantastic job in making plastic feel not cheap. Quite unlike a lot of other plastic phones available.