So just how bad is the lag of the 13rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xkmxkmxlmx, Jan 17, 2013.

1. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I know, this topic again. Sorry.

I have read through a lot of threads and seriously feel the need to ask again, how people feel about the lab on the 13rMBP?

Some people say it is non-existant. Some people say it is a deal breaker. I just don't understand how it can be so split.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

3. bill-p macrumors 65816

If you're used to 2011 MacBooks, which are... insanely smooth, then the 2012 Retina models feel like a downgrade in UI performance.

If you come from a pre-2010 Mac, then the Retina MacBooks are about on par in terms of UI performance.

So it depends very much on "where you come from". Personally, I can tell that there is lag in my Retina... coming from a 2011 Mac, but it's not as bad as... say, a 2009 Mac.

Basically... in terms of smoothness:

2008 Mac < 2009 Mac < 2010 Mac < 2012 Retina < 2011 Mac < 2012 Mac

I've had the privilege to play with all of those generations, so I know.

By the way, for the folks who are about to say "WebKit will fix your problem", I have a note to make: this is general UI performance, not web browser scrolling performance.

4. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Sorry, yes, UI. But anything performance hit in general.

That is pretty disappointing to hear. I need a laptop. I absolutely love the size of the MBA, but I hate the screen. Retina is not a deal breaker, but it is the next best thing to having a MBA. The regular Pro is a bit heavy for my needs.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

This is just on the 13" though yes? I have a 15" Retina and with the dGPU enabled it's as smooth as any other Mac that I've used. The UI Does lag a bit on iGPU though.

6. bill-p macrumors 65816

Yeah, but it's only a "problem" if you have used a 2011 or 2012 MacBook. If you haven't, then any of the Retina MacBooks is a considerable upgrade.

It is also on the 15". The 15" 2011 or 2012 MacBook Pro are both significantly smoother than the 15" Retina at pretty much everything.

But personally, I wouldn't trade my rMBP for any of the other models. The screen far outweighs any drawback.

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

coming from a mid 2009 mbp (ssd) i dont really notice any lag besides scrolling within the application folder from the dock in list mode sometimes

doesnt rly bother me

8. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Nuts is right. If you use the GT650m GPU then the retina macbook pro is very smooth. To test this use Launcher and see the difference between the intel gpu and the nvidia one. Mind you I only notice this when I'm using the 1920x1200 equivalent resolution. If I use the 'best' retina resolution then I don't notice any lag.