So let’s talk about the screen..

HopeWV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
So I realize that one of the big selling points of the iPhone X is the screen/display. I have read the technical specs of the display but I don’t quite understand this whole OLED technology. What are some of the main differences between it and LCD? Is it a true 4K display? Thanks in advance!

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
No, 4K is a resolution. The iPhone X has a resolution of 2436×1125; 4K is 3840 x 2160. I'm pretty sure the Sony Xperia XZ Premium is the only phone with a 4K display at the moment. OLED has better contrast ratios than LCD.

Hoosier317

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
So I realize that one of the big selling points of the iPhone X is the screen/display. I have read the technical specs of the display but I don’t quite understand this whole OLED technology. What are some of the main differences between it and LCD? Is it a true 4K display? Thanks in advance!
Perfect black for one (a completely black image on an iPhone 6/7/8 will look like a very dark grey by comparison) and a contrast ratio that is far superior to an LCD screen. Not to mention HDR and energy/power efficiency and other features as well.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Absolute blacks, much the same as the glass CRT televisions of yesteryear. Different technology, but same concept.

swinery

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
its much easier just to go to a store and look at a galaxy s8 and compare it to your iphone honestly
also note how brighter the display can go