So let me get this straight.......

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BoxerGT2.5, Sep 12, 2012.

1. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The iPhone 4s had the best screen according to many, AMOLED plus was too saturated, but the iPhone 5 has 44% more saturation. So either:

A. The iPhone 4s was in fact washed out.

or

B. People need their eyes checked or like to stick to the talking points

2. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Maybe it had the best screen a year ago, technology changed in a year.

3. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

the iphone screen will gain srgb spec, and amoled is still over saturated.

color accuracy is a different animal

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It wasn't displaying the colors accurately because it didn't have a wide enough gamut. Now the iPhone 5 is said to have a gamut of around 99% of sRGB, like the new iPad and rMBP.

[​IMG]

OLED displays aren't more accurate than the iPhone 4/4S's displays at displaying colors, they actually are often much worse and display colors as too saturated or simply inaccurate. An image can be too washed out but it can be too saturated too, what matters is that it reproduces the colors accurately, as they were meant to be displayed.

If you want an analogy, that's like saying a pair of headphones has too much bass. Even though bass itself is not a bad thing, the best pair of headphones is supposed to have no coloration and reproduce a perfectly flat sound.

That's why I hate OLED screens (that and the new PenTile subpixel arrangement trend) and if I had to choose a non-iPhone smartphone, I'd look at phones with LCD screens like the HTC One X and Nokia Lumia 920. PenTile SAMOLED screens like those on most Samsung phones (GSIII, Note, GNex) are terrible at color reproduction, I feel like they went with quantity over quality.