so many shootings... why?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EEzycade, Aug 4, 2019.

1. EEzycade macrumors regular

EEzycade

It seems like a few decades ago, this didn't happen. Obviously there were rare exceptions. Now there is a shooting in the news almost every day. What's changed in our society. What are your theories on why this is happening. And don't blame it on Trump like the news is doing. That is not productive. They say he's incited violence. Sure he may be(probably) a racist but in my mind incitement to violence is saying "go harm or kill this person or group of people". As far as I know he has not done that

2. Vanilla Ice, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019

Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I personally believe the Devil is hard at work and unfortunately his actions of evil is working. Other then that I blame social media, anti depressants, bullying, parents, gangs, white supremacy and copy cats.

3. H2SO4, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019

H2SO4 macrumors 601

The horses have been swapped for cars but the west is still wild.
    It’s a mindset that America will never grow out of.
    Seems life just isn’t worth enough.

Even on this forum, the condoning of violence is eye opening.
    Lots of posts about how, “yeah I’d have shot him too”, and things like, “he deserved it”.
    Stupid things like guns don’t kill people, people do which isn’t quite true either.

4. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

The Devil is hard at work - getting his son Trump elected.

5. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Your Democratic party alone is doing a good job at that.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I think a lot of it is how quickly news travels that contributes in part to the sensationalism and widespread awareness

I think columbine provided a model for many to emulate that has unfortunately used the ante so to speak for those wishing to cause the most harm

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

The technicalities don't matter. Trump obviously panders to hate, which keeps hate at the forefront. What do you think the results of that is? The majority of mass shootings over the past decade come from those that have beliefs within the umbrella of white nationalism.

Now I wouldn't say the increase in frequency started with Trump. Obama has brought plenty of hate to the forefront as well. But that's at no fault of his own. Simply being a black president was enough. But the fact is, Trump has added tons of fuel to the fire, and directly (but not technically) has been encouraging hate, which in turn encourages the behavior of extreme violence such as mass shootings.

So being that said ...... YES, Trump does bare some or plenty of the blame for the more recent events.

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I think it’s due to the society we live in, white supremacy, ease of obtaining a gun, and perhaps wanting to be a celebrity martyr. Is it really mental illness that caused these shootings this weekend? As someone who suffers from severe depression, I’ve never thought of hurting anyone..

Did the terrorists that caused 9/11 also mentally ill? Keep in mind Trump hasn’t forcefully denounced white supremacy, Yet if this was a Hispanic person that carried out these shootings or a Muslim person, he’d be tweeting about his beautiful wall and other things and how they are invading our county. Ultimately the shooter is responsible for pulling the trigger, but this president with his divisive politics fueling the hatred isn’t helping. I know some folks thought Obama was divisive, but he’s a saint compared to Trump. Obama wasn’t a fear monger like Trump is. Actually since Trump complains about America as well, why doesn’t he “go back”?

I don’t think politicians will bother to do anything until they experience the pain first hand that the victims and their families went though. Maybe if Ted Cruz lost his daughter at a school shooting he might think differently. Tragedies change people and sometimes alter their point of view. I find it both amusing and pathetic that it’s probably safer to join the military than go to college or any public place with lots of people. I don’t think gun control is going to stop all gun violence, but if the current laws are actually enforced and some more strict laws are out in place it would help. The Texas shooter purchased the gun legally online from what I’ve heard. How is that a thing?

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

angry incels , not having sex and being rejected.
    [​IMG]

10. MacDonaldTrump macrumors 6502

MacDonaldTrump

So many gunshops probably has a role to play somewhere.

11. Altis macrumors 68030

It's a very good point to bring up, and one that it seems nobody is interested in tackling.

From my research, one of the biggest culprits is the rise of fatherlessness, both for girls but especially boys and young men. It's particularly bad when it's an entire community of single mothers and few to no healthy male role models.

There's also social media and 24/7 connectivity that's doing absolute wonders to destroy the mental well-being of young people. There's loneliness, anxiety, depression, substance abuse, endless media outrage and manipulation -- just look at the crisis that is the spike in suicide in young men. Do you think people willing to end their own lives will ensure the safety of others? What is the effect of high-density living where nobody knows anyone or has anything in common? Lack of community, of purpose, etc.

It goes on and on. There's so much that's still rather experimental and we either don't know, don't want to look into, or willfully ignore.

12. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

My Democratic Party? I’m not even an American.

And Trump was still put in place by Satan, not God.

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Back about the mid 1950s, Americans began gradually ceding their personal capabilities to industry. At this point in history, most Americans simply cannot do anything, and most have come to accept their own passenger role in society. But we have basically lost control of our lives and have minimal leverage on changing the things that trouble us. For many, we cope the best that we can, but, for a few, the accumulation of indignities becomes more than they can bear, and they snap.

All our serious problems, at the very bottom, are economic in nature.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

of course he was. Satan wanted trump to run because Satan thought she could beat him in the elections, Satan was wrong :D

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Actually, God is the evil one. I mean, look at the many detestable things God has done and you begin to realize how incredibly effective his smear campaign against Beelzebub has been. Just when you think it makes sense, you find out the whole thing is upside down.

16. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

My bad... Ok, then the Democrats. No need for Satan.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2019 ---
    Free will. It’s a powerful thing for mankind.

17. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

You ask for our theories in one sentence, then shoot us down in the next by saying exclude Trump...

18. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

This has to be part of the problem.

Maybe if more people lived with reality we’d have a better shot.

19. EEzycade thread starter macrumors regular

EEzycade

Sorry if it came off like that. Maybe a better way would be to say don’t blame it entirely on Trump. If you think he is partially to blame, I respect that. But I am interested in other ideas and other possible reasons.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

THERE were no shootings before trump, didn't you get the memo?

21. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Tell that to whacko evangelicals who don’t mind stepping on the free will of others by trying to get laws passed to make things they believe are wrong illegal (like abortion or homosexuality).

22. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Society is sick :( There are a combination of societal factors that are driving young men to isolation, radicalization, and (finally, for some) violence. They cope with their emotional problems by lashing out.

It's those mass-shooter glasses, I'm telling you... :confused:

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

morons who never got laid, bet you they wore crocks with socks as well......................

24. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Were any of these people immigrants from Mexico or African-American?

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Home grown. No reason to import more