So my daughter left her iPhone on a plane last night....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robertpetry, Nov 29, 2013.

1. robertpetry macrumors 6502

And unfortunately it was still on airplane mode. We were flying into Orlando and I think it fell out of her open top bag on an AirTran flight.

It is set up with a passcode and Find My iPhone is ready to notify me and play a sound and message with my number as soon as someone turns off airplane mode. I also sent it a text with my phone number.

Still I'm not very optimistic. It is on iOS 7 so I don't think anyone will be able to use it. And It is locked with a passcode. I called the airport lost and found, the airline lost items/baggage office and filed a. Lost item form on their website. They claim everything is sent to Texas and they will notify me if it turns up.

I wish I could remotely turn off airplane mode. That would help a lot.

Anyone had any susses getting one back in this type if situation?

Btw, if someone out thee found it and reads this after finding out it is useless, PM me and I will give you a shipping address and ask no questions!

2. senrab macrumors member

I wouldn't get too optimistic. I left my silver 160gb iPod on a Southwest Flight back in 2010. Called them and filed a lost & found report, never heard a word from them. :(

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

4. robertpetry thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The folks who told u everything sent to Texas, were they at the local baggage claim office (arrival airport) or did u call the main number for corporate?

6. robertpetry, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

robertpetry thread starter macrumors 6502

Both actually. I spoke with airport lost and found, called the airline 800 number and they said to talk to baggage claim. Baggage checked 3 times today for me and said everything goes to Texas.

They also told me that they had not found any iPhones in the last couple of days in Orlando. Only an iPod. So I think out only hope is that it was found our turned in at the next stop. I haven't been able to figure out where that was.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Realisticly the odds of getting it back are very very slim.
    Take it as a lesson learned.

8. Neverbepeace, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2013

Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

What lesson? It just fell out her bag. I would just chalk it up as "[stuff] happens"

9. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Not a huge help, but... anyone can turn off Airplane Mode under iOS 7, presuming Settings > Control Center > Access on Lock Screen is currently turned on (maybe your daughter knows, maybe not). It's at least possible that someone would find the phone, open Control Center, and turn off Airplane Mode. If that happened, then iCloud Lost Mode would kick in, they'd see your message, etc.

What are the odds? Hard to say. First, they'd need to know to open Control Center, then recognize that Airplane Mode is on, then realize that Find My iPhone would kick in if they turned off Airplane Mode. A good person might turn off Airplane Mode, a bad person would be likely to leave it in Airplane Mode.

So, leave the phone in Lost Mode. Your odds are better with it turned on than if it's turned off, even if a snowball might not survive in either case.

10. Applejuiced, Nov 29, 2013

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Secure your valuables and be more careful I guess.

11. AFDoc, Nov 29, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Really you can't think of a lesson to take away from this? The lesson is take care of your expensive electronic devices.

Tripping and hurting yourself is "[stuff] happens" losing an expensive phone is called being irresponsible.

OP, sucks she lost it. Funny how she's probably the only one to actually use Air mode.

12. Neverbepeace, Nov 29, 2013

Neverbepeace

Nope....she obviously had it in her bag. OP I guess next time you have to sit down with her and let her know she has to tape the phone to her hand since she wasn't taking care of her "expensive electronics" by putting it in her bag.

13. robertpetry, Nov 29, 2013

Well there are several lessons to try to take from this:

1. Don't carry expensive things in an open top bag
    2. Triple check your area and be paranoid about leaving things.
    3. Even when your daughter says "I checked" and rolls her eyes, double check as the dad.
    4. Learn to continue with life (Disney vacation in this case) and put things in perspective. That is for both of us.
    5. And yes, [stuff] happens. Even if you try your best it happens sometimes anyway. That is life. No mistake: You are are still responsible for what happens due to your actions. And there are always consequences fair or not. But in life, [stuff] happens.

So if we don't here from Dallas, which we probably won't, then we will see if our travel insurance will cover some of it. Or the Amex j bought it with 70 days ago. Although I bet they cover purchase price not replacement.

She may end up with a used 4S instead of a new 5.

14. AFDoc, Nov 29, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Ummm if she had it in the bag she wouldn't have lost it unless the entire bag was lost. I know OP said it may have fallen out.... if that's the case that is def irresponsible. Close the bag... easy peasy.

OP sounds like you're coming out of this like a champ. I have kids too so of course you need to triple check. Did Universal with the kids this summer so know your "pain" lol.

15. Applejuiced, Nov 29, 2013

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wether you see it or not you don't just drop or lose items if you store them properly and pay attention to them. You make sure they don't just fall out of your bag.
    So you either learn a lesson from it and dont let it happen again or keep losing very expensive electronics.
    [Stuff] happens more often if you're careless and dont take care of your valuables. You triple check you have everything before you leave the plane etc....
    At least that's what responsible people do.

16. robertpetry thread starter macrumors 6502

The bag doesn't close all the way but it was not overly full. She just needs to be more careful.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd just file a claim with Amex. They'll reimburse you the purchase price plus tax.

Tell her not to bother with airplane mode.

18. Neverbepeace, Nov 29, 2013

Neverbepeace

What if you checked it 20 times and it still fell out? Irresponsible then?

The whole point is....you can check something a million times....[stuff] just happens. No way will I put judgement on somebody by calling them "irresponsible" you would have a point if she left the phone in the seat...in the cup holder ect. She was responsible to put it in the bag...it just slipped out somehow.

I'm going to bed now....I'm turning off my game and putting the remote control on my desk safely.....you know because if it some how falls on the floor....i guess I was irresponsible LOL....you people are really crazy. Can't believe I'm up entertaining this nonsense.

19. robertpetry, Nov 29, 2013

Well, [stuff] happens is not a pass for making mistakes. There isn't a pass for that. But making a mistake didn't mean you are irresponsible. It means you goofed. People like to put things in black and white but the world is shades of grey. Just take responsibility but keep your perspective. There are a lot of lessons to learn even when things go right for you.

To Jay, telling people to ignore the airplane mode is not a responsible suggestion. I understand the FAA is considering it. But doubt you know more than they do. She follows reasonable directions from authority and you should too. I'm not going to tell her to just blow off instructions she doesn't agree with.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I double check always when the plane is taxing. That's when I do my personal items check. The standard for men 3-pat down is in order plus the small travel bag in the over head bin (which I don't check since it never comes out anyway).

For those who don't know, 3-pat down for men is:

Pat down 1: Keys
    Pat down 2: Wallet
    Pat down 3: Phone

The order doesn't really matter as long as all of the above are met.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then don't start a thread sounding desperate about an unresolvable problem. You already know what to do.

22. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

I do all these everytime I'm moving from one point to another. :D

23. taedouni macrumors 65816

Spoken like a true man.
    I'm super paranoid in regards to my personal belongings. I'm the guy who hesitate to leaves his MacBook Pro in a backpack in his car while at the movie theater. People just don't understand.

24. robertpetry thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it still hasn't come out of airplane mode. I am actually taking that as kind of a good sign thinking that someone just put it in a pile and they are sending it to lost and found.

Obviously there are other interpretations but of someone didn't turn it in I would think they would probably mess with it a bit to try to get into it. They may have but they didn't turn off airplane mode to do it.

25. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

There would be a business idea. airlines send all the lost electronica to a company and that company charges 5% finders fee from the owner for every phone/electronics they ship back to the owner. i would gladly pay 30 dollar plus shipping if they send back a lost iPhone. I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet.

To the OP: hope you get the phone back. Airlines are very slow in processing things like this.