So my EVGA 8800gt has gone bad, what can it be replaced with my EVGA?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mjgunn, Sep 15, 2009.

1. mjgunn macrumors member

After about a year and a half, my EVGA 8800gt has gone bad, screen corruption, and eventual freezes, etc. and no problems with the original 7300gt in the machine. The part number on it is 512-P3-N801-AR, and it was used in a launch (1,1) mac pro.

Not a problem, the card has a lifetime warranty, my only concern is if I get a different card back from them. I have in the past, and just recently had a friend, perform a exchange with EVGA and had them send back a different card than was sent (it's always been a better card so no complaints at the time), but of course that would be an issue with the EFI32 firmware, etc. So if they end up being unable to send me another 8800gt which ones would be ok? I've read a bit about 9800gts flashed with the 8800 software working, etc. Thanks.

2. MacVidCards Suspended

Luck of the draw I'm afraid.

Since I have gotten 0 (ZERO) help with stitching EFI Nvidia ROMs you are stuck using the Mac 8800GT ROM AS IS.

In MOST 9800GT cards this will result in a fan that either runs at 100% or 0%. An aftermarket fan will kinda/sorta solve this.

EVGA had a 9800GT that worked OK but they just discontinued it.

Let us know what they send you.

3. mjgunn thread starter macrumors member

So a evga 9800gt would be ok if they sent me one of them instead of another 8800, "worked ok" is a little unclear.

4. MacVidCards Suspended

they HAD a 9800gt that flashed fine

the current model is different....may or may not work well

an 8800gts would be a better bet

5. mjgunn thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh gotcha, thanks. Any chance you might happen to know the model # of the 9800gt that worked?

6. JollyRogers macrumors regular

I have a spare 8800GT that is flashed for 64bit. I also have another that also went south. I bought the replacement on E-BaY FROM evga for $95 plus shipping and flashed it and have not had problems. I don't use it anymore so if you get in a bind, PM me.

7. mjgunn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the offer Jolly, I'll keep it in mind if needed.

I called them today and set up the exchange, the CSR told me that he couldn't guarantee what I got back, just that it would be a 8800gt or better, but that I could put a note in the box with a request for a certain replacement and if it wasn't too outrageous (like I didn't request a GTX285 lol), they would try to follow it if they had stock. So I'm going to request ideally another 8800gt, or a 8800gts, or a 9800gt, sound right, are there any others which would be good?

8. mjgunn thread starter macrumors member

9. MacVidCards Suspended

Should be fine, as long as it doesn't have a 64K EEPROM chip or a 55nm G92 GPU chip, which I don't think it will.

Only way to know for sure is to test it.

10. mjgunn thread starter macrumors member