So my first iPhone 6 that I returned months ago was recently sent back to me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Jan 14, 2015.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I initially bought a 6 a few months ago from the Apple Online Store through the AT&T NEXT plan and I went to return it on the 15th day thinking it was the 14th day (I thought it was 14 days from the date of receipt) and the Apple Store wouldn't accept it. I then called AT&T who said they were perfectly happy to return it for me and to send it back to them.

Apparently this employee was misinformed and I was supposed to send it back to Apple. However, upon calling Apple they said the device had been paid for by AT&T and was in my/AT&T's hands now. I called AT&T again and they said the return had been processed and I was only being charged for one phone. Did I just get a free phone or will it eventually come to their attention?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It is 14 days from the date on the receipt. If you bought the phone on 1/14 it would have to be returned on or before 1/28.

3. 617aircav Suspended

Only time will tell. Nobody here can tell you if you will be charged or not. Why not cal ATT and confirm.

4. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

back with the 3GS i had something similar happen with rogers in canada.

i got a replacement iPhone 3GS from rogers, sent the old one back. 3 months later they sent me back the original stating "this is not a rogers phone" -- no mention of sending back the replacement they sent.

i sold it to my cousins gf at the time for some nice cash.

funny how it was the same phone i did an upgrade with just months before that.

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No the day of receipt is day 1, so it's 13 days from that day. I know, completely misleading, I was pissed. It must happen all the time bc most people wait til the last possible day to return things to have as much time to make their decision as possible.

----------

Just got off the phone w AT&T. Apparently the current phone I have and have been using (I ended up buying another iPhone 6 weeks later after realizing the 4S was too small and slow now) I am not being charged for. The IMEI number, AT&T's unique identifier, for this phone is not the same as the one of the phone I am paying for. The phone I am being charged for is the original one that was sent back to me. I am not paying for the new phone, I wonder if this was just a mistake in paperwork and they mixed the two up somehow? I feel like I should've kept my mouth shut and enjoyed getting lucky, or do you think I wouldve eventually gotten charged for the newer one? The only thing I feel like really needed to be confirmed was that my AppleCare was under my current phones IMEI/serial #.

6. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I just checked the receipt from the iPhone I purchased on 1/7 and it says the return date is 1/21. That's 14 days, not counting the first day.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This actually made me look at my receipt. Mine was purchased on 12/22 from apple. My return date says January 5, 2015, but 1 day earlier if purchased with a carrier plan.

So it is 14 days, but 13 if bought with a plan.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The answer to your question is: Maybe you got a "free" phone, due to error, maybe you didn't. Really isn't a way for anyone here to tell you if the error will be caught; that's going to depend on whether the device itself gets tracked and the account linked to audited. I would say there is a decent chance of you ending up with a free phone. I won't say what the right thing to do here is though; I think you know. :)

Considering AT&T was misinformed once, I still wouldn't be terribly surprised if they were misinformed a second time (and thus will actually bill you for the full MSRP of the device).

9. TH55, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah. Being a pretty moral person, conscience took over and I called back to further investigate - it turns out there is no record of it. It is on file that I have now tried several times to return the phone but the management couldn't seem to figure it out and said happy new year! Looks like I got a free phone!! I still feel slightly guilty but I'm a pretty loyal customer, every now and then you get lucky :). How much are they going for, what could I get for it on eBay?

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

That seems like a pretty easy thing for you to check out yourself. ;)

11. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

doing the right thing is always the best decision you can make....

update: i guess you did try your best to rectify the error and with a clean conscience. you did the right thing and it's up to ATT then. happy new year.

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Hopefully it doesn't get blacklisted after you sell it.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, like they wouldn't be able to activate it?

----------

Thank you! :)#

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The carrier can list the phone as blacklisted meaning it will not work on any U.S. Networks. I'm unsure if activation can or would ever be a problem since the phone is technically unlocked.

----------

The carrier can list the phone as blacklisted meaning it will not work on any U.S. Networks. I'm unsure if activation can or would ever be a problem since the phone is technically unlocked. I wouldn't be as worried about this as you just flat out being billed for the phone but that's based in no evidence other than my gut lol.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, worst case scenario. Is the old original phone still pre-loaded with or attached to my number in any way? Like when whoever I sell it to goes to activate it will it de-activate my number?

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

That I couldn't tell you for sure. I would assume not because a system like that would be rather stupid way for their system to work lol.

17. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah lol

18. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

I think you have went above and beyond to be helpful to Apple and AT&T.

Use the phone you were sent back to not worry about black list issues. Sell the phone you were currently using.

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Meaning the phone I am using could be blacklisted if they discover it is unaccounted for?

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think the point is that AT&T can blackslist either phone if they discover it is unaccounted for. Whether they will or not is the question. This is such a unique situation that I hardly expect anyone would be able to give you a definitive answer lest they be fairly high up the food chain with AT&T.