So my friend is eligible for phone upgrade, and doesn't want it.. but I do... help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSwitchd, Jun 26, 2009.

1. iSwitchd macrumors member

I can't upgrade my phone thru at&t until next august. However, a co-worked is eligible for the 3GS at $199.99 and doesn't want/need a new phone.

In short, I want her to go in and buy the 3GS, and somehow have it transferred to my account, but am unsure on the best method to do so.

Any ideas? I'm sure tons of people have done so. :eek:

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Get her to buy the phone, give it to you. Call AT&T and tell them you want to add new hardware to the account, give them IMEI and your set. Change plan accordingly.

3. iSwitchd thread starter macrumors member

By doing so.. isn't she going to have to change her current plan to a plan with the iphone data?

She doesn't have an iPhone now, so when she goes to buy it.. won't they change her plan?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You can change your plan at anytime. If she buys it and then gives it to you, you can just activate it. If she doesn't have an iPhone she isn't required to have the plan. The most she will have is a one day prorated data plan charge. :) 1 day = $1 prorated charge.

5. iSwitchd thread starter macrumors member

So I can go to the apple store with her, they'll check to see what pricing is available to her, and they'll just give her the phone for $199.99?

And from that point, is SHE supposed to contact AT&T to have it activated and setup, or is it something they will try to do instore at apple?

My concern is that when she gets it, and it's not activated on her account, she will be charged some sort of fee for buying at the subsidized price, and not adding it to her account.

I just want to do all my homework before doing so, so she doesn't get screwed - or charged a large fee on her bill.

6. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Unless she's your sister, I would recommend against it. You might gain 3GS now, but you could lose your friend down the road.

7. nyekon macrumors newbie

She will have to go the Apple store, if she upgrades will get the phone for $199. After they activate the phone, she'll have to call and have them add back on her prior phone, removed the data package. Then you'll need to have the IMEI/data package added to your account. There's no penalty for doing that, but she will just have a new 2 year contract. Even if you take the phone, she is left with the contract.

8. iSwitchd thread starter macrumors member

Bump.

Anyone here done this and can confirm it'll work as planned? Also, another way I thought of getting one for the $199 is to just add a line for $10 a month.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is your friend aware that she'll be stuck with her current phone for 2 years unless she pays to upgrade it.

10. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Do what others have said, but reward the guy. Give em $50 or take em out to dinner or something.

11. iSwitchd thread starter macrumors member

Ok... cool.

I'm gonna give her my 3 month old Quickfire phone, as well as $50.

12. cwosigns macrumors 65832

cwosigns

I thought she was your friend. :eek: J/K

13. netslacker macrumors 6502

Switch accounts.

I think the real answer here is to switch accounts altogether. It's not something that ATT will tell you, but cellular contracts and accounts are transferable. So, simply inherit her account and her eligibility, get your discounted iPhone and she can inherit your account and the rest of your contract and not be stuck with another 2 years. This is probably the best for all parties.

14. ej3ffrey macrumors newbie

this is what i did to get my 3gs. i just gave my friend $100 for the trouble... he just had to call in the following day and take the data plan off.

and yes, he was aware of the 2yr contract extension lol

15. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

What about phone numbers though?

16. netslacker macrumors 6502

You take your phone number with you.

17. zerofrost macrumors newbie

As long as your friend does not mind the 2yr contract extension, she can just place an order for the 3GS and give you the phone. Then she can call in and say she wants to change devices and the AT&T CSR can remove the data plan. Trust me, I just did it for four iphone lines. :)

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Other thing that is a catch is your friend would be stuck with a phone for 2 more year with out and upgrade.

The problem with that is cell phone life span is 2-3 years top. They just are not designed to last much longer than that.