So my iPhone 4s went in the washing machine! New screen needed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbrown, May 13, 2012.

1. jbrown, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012

jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Through an act of carelessness my phone went for a 5 minute swim in my back pocket in the washing machine.:eek: It was still operating when I retrieved it - but quite erratically. I managed to turn it off and left it in a warm place to dry.

Anyway - it's the next day now and I left it in a warm place all night - turned off.

It all works!!:D

However - the screen image is all blotchy - and it looks permanent. So can anyone point me in the right direction to get a new screen ( and the tools to change it )?

Many thanks. :)

PS - I see screens for sale on EBAY - with tools, but want to make sure I get a decent one. Its a UK one if it makes any different.

2. Rcflex macrumors member

Rcflex

Maybe the genius bar at the apple store... not sure what they will charge you though...

3. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I think you should get a replacement

The water will have corroded the pcb inside and given time the phone might fail completely

Apple can be quite good, tell them what happened and they might offer a replacement phone for £120

I think you would pay around that for a screen anyway

4. kromekat macrumors member

kromekat

You'll pay a lot less for a replacement lcd on eBay, but it will not be as good a panel as the original by a long shot. I replaced a broken 3GS LCD so my daughter could use the phone as an iPod, - it's fine, but not as bright or as wide a viewing angle!

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

6. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Yes - one for immediate advice for the emergency at hand. The other for guidance as to what sort of display I might need and tools.

Did we really need the inane question? :rolleyes: