So, my University now requires I have antivirus on my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgartner0622, Sep 24, 2012.

1. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

This year, there's a new rule implemented that in order to use Wifi, one must have Antivirus installed to protect the University's files, even on a Mac.
    Truth be told, I absolutely cannot stand antivirus, and have never used one on any of my personal computers, even Windows. My opinion is that they vastly slow down the machine, especially at startup. Currently I'm using Sophos, as the university recommended/forced, but I added the whole hard drive of my computer to the list of exceptions for virus search.
    Is there any better alternatives?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I recommend that you avoid using Sophos, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here.

If you're required to run antivirus, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

3. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Thank you GGJstudios, that sounds better already.
    My home internet subscription comes with free norton as well, but between Sophos, Norton, or McAffe, my personal opinion is they're all terrible in terms of hogging resources. This seems like a much better solution.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just another vote for Clamav...It's free, is updated daily, and if your University insists you have an AV package it won't cost you anything....I guess academic institutions are all pretty much the same...They are probably mostly Windos based I;m guessing?

5. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yup. Although with most of the students that run Windows machines and download "questionable" content, I can't really blame them.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well, you get the freebie and everybody's happy...Don't use it myself...Just have no need, but it will meet with your IT depts. approval.:)

7. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Bitdefender is free and non resident. It's only a scanner.

8. raymondso macrumors member

raymondso

How does the university know your computer is secured by antivirus software? :confused:

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

That's exactly what I thought, they CANNOT tell!

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Another vote for how can they tell? My university technically has this requirement, but nobody I know bothers.

11. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

Wait,viruses on mac?! wtf ? Is it possible to infect system even if i not run some suspicious files or attachements?! By that i mean if i visit some web page with safari ?

12. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Ugh, anti-virus...been a mac user for almost 20 years and I've never used an anti-virus. No problems at all.

13. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Avoid Norton like the plague. I've had to deal with it on Windows and it really is awful. I had to remove it from a friend's peecee running Vista and by the time it had finished I was ready to throw it against the wall.

14. blevins321 macrumors 68030

My old university started it right before I left. Basically Cisco came up with a tool that forces a system check before you can get logged into the required Wifi VPN. Also enforces updates and Java version. Pretty much the largest PITA on the planet.

15. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

You can always use AVG it is free anti-virus program one of the best for windows....

16. borisiii macrumors 6502

My university required you to download and run something called a 'dissolvable agent' that checked you had the latest updates and antivirus. You could install the antivirus, run the check (and pass it), and it would then let you access the networks even if you removed the AV.

17. nitromac macrumors 6502

use kaspersky

and disable web AV as it slows the internet down to hell

18. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i used AVG on my windows PCs not sure if their is a OSX version as OSX does not need antivirus,

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild, and only a few trojans, which can be avoided by practicing safe computing. Read the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ link in the 2nd post of this thread for details.

21. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

That's what mine uses. However I already tried uninstalling and it doesn't work. ClamXav seems to solve my problems.

22. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Just don't do it. My University requires antivirus software too, but I haven't used it for the last 2 years to no ill effects. They won't tell me to waste processor cycles and battery on a useless piece of software running in the background on my machine. It's their right to not allow me to use the wifi as a result, but I challenge them to catch me. On Macs, not being a fool about what you click and enter your password into is the best antivirus solution.
    Kind of like the ugly 6 x 6 inch sticker they force people who register their computers to put right on the lid of your machine. No thanks!

Edit: it seems like your school might be more uptight about it than mine. As far as I know, they don't check if you actually have it at my school.

23. Callumbear845 macrumors member

At my college, they install a client on your computer that will only let you connect to the internet (WiFi or ethernet) if you have sophos installed. It is a real pain and acts up frequently, but there is nothing you can do about it. If sophos isn't installed, it cuts off your access to the internet.

24. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Wait, I noticed that it says you live in Colorado. I go to CU. What about you? CSU? UNC? feel free to PM me if you care to reply but don't want to make it public.