So now my family wants to get out of Sprint (Question)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Johnny Steps, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

One week ago I got out of Sprint, my dad's family plan, by bringing up the discount policy change argument. Now my dad has noticed my iPhone 4S is significantly faster than his for browsing and now my dad wants out.

Here's the problem, my dad renewed HIS contract early this January with an iPhone 4. I'm thinking... how will he get out? I know my mom can, but will my dad be able to? Will he have to return the iPhone 4?

Thank you for any help.

BTW, he's going to AT&T as well.

2. gyropilot macrumors member

Your dad will simply pay an early termination fee and keep the phone.

Regards,

John L.

3. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Oh he won't do that. So I guess he shouldn't try. He can't return the phone?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Nobody here can tell you with 100% certainty that they won't let him out. Have him call, make a stink, and see what they say. If they say no, multiple times, the most he would have lost is the time he spent on the phone.

By the way, paying the ETF, selling the phone, and singing on with ATT or Verizon should essentially have him break even, maybe a small loss. Make sure you have him have Sprint unlock the phone before you go this route.

5. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S White 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Okay I guess it's worth trying. Sprint won't unlock an iPhone 4. It's CDMA only.

6. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Sell the phone, pay the ETF and sign up elsewhere.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Sorry. I thought he had a 4S. :eek:

8. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

He's going to sign up at Best Buy and wanted to sell the phone to them and use the gift card for the purchase of the same phone, but on the AT&T carrier.

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

He'd probably be better off selling it to a 3rd party individual like on Craigslist or eBay so he can get close to the amount he needs for the ETF and then just come out of pocket for the 200 or so for the new phone with AT&T.

Best Buy will probably give him 90 or so dollars whereas he can sell it on Craigslist for probably 250-300. Just guessing not sure how much Sprint iPhone 4's go for.