So now that 3G is out, what exactly was being filmed at the NYC store a month ago?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jul 13, 2008.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

What exactly was being filmed at the NYC 5th Ave store by Apple over a month ago? There were spy shots, road shutdowns, all sorts of hubbub.... but I have yet to hear any comment on why Apple shut down the store and what they were filming. I would have thought that whatever was being filmed would have come out now.

Also, anyone have any idea what was in all those boxes that were shipped to Apple, sitting in the parking lot? The ones that Forbes magazine took spy shots of....

2. sananda macrumors 68020

the tv ad.

3. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

Mmmmm good memory! Link to the white boxes? I don't remember seeing that. But yes what was being filmed?

4. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I believe it was the iPhone commercial that was being shot. Atleast I think that's what I read.

5. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Not the one that is out now.

There is nothing in that ad that couldn't have been filmed on a soundstage.
    There is no way Apple would have shut down their flagship NYC store for 1/2 day and secured all sorts of licenses from NYC to film and block of sidewalks.... for something that could be made on an LA soundstage.

6. sananda macrumors 68020

there probably isn't anything they could have filmed in a store that couldn't have been filmed on a soundstage or in one of the mocked up stores they have at apple.

7. metman787 macrumors member

I believe it was for the new Eddie Murphy video called "Meet Dave." I know it has some scenes in the 5th ave. apple store

8. sananda macrumors 68020

9. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Attached Files:

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It was this:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/ads/hallway/

The last few shots with the suitcase on the table and the genius bar and the iMacs in the background. That's it, just the last few shots.

I'm just guessing here, but it's the best guess I've heard. That was a week or so before we first saw the ad...plenty of time to put in the last 4 or 5 shots.

EDIT: mrat93 beat me by seconds...and with visuals!

11. sananda macrumors 68020

i am aware that june 2007 was last year.

12. jabbawockee macrumors member

Agreed, and directed to the other posters after the above post.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is your argument?

Well, they did. So you're wrong.

And you to. If a TV ad isn't a good enough reason, what is? Your point is that it just HAS to be something more than a TV ad. Well, what? My theory is: "Until there's a BETTER guess, I'm going with TV ad."

I've yet to see a better guess. Give me one and I'll consider it. But so far you've given nothing.

14. jabbawockee macrumors member

you go boy!

I have no explanation. And now that you mention it.. building it on a soundstage COULD cost more... /shrug.

15. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

The 5th Ave shoot was definitely not for the current commercial. Apple could have used an interior of ANY apple store for the 1 second of Genius bar visible in the current Apple ad. No reason to shut down the world's only Apple store open 24 hours a day, and the most profitable Apple store in the world for this spot.

This photo shows filming lights OUTSIDE the store highlighting the cube.
    [​IMG]

This photo shows cameras filming OUTSIDE the store.
    [​IMG]

16. speedbumpnv macrumors 6502

i dont get it. a CG box with a CG iphone. why not just make the background in the computer as well. you would never tell. only apple fanatics noticed the blurry background anyways.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Really, I have no idea, but we don't need to know that.

Fact is, they closed the store for SOMETHING. So trying to figure out the costs is a waste of time. Whatever the costs are, we know what they decided to do.

I admit that's all we know. Everything else I've said is my own guess, but I feel safe with them.

18. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It's entirely possible there was a lot of throwaway footage, or footage that will be used in another iPhone 3G commercial down the line.

What they were filming was DEFINITELY the iPhone 3G commercial.

19. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

DEFINITELY?

Wow... you are confident.
    Maybe they were filming an UPCOMING iPhone 3G commercial...

I also remember seeing footage (cell-phone video... so it wasn't from an iPhone!) of a black actor in a "secret agent" type outfit with a headset and makeup being applied, just outside the store. The only 2 characters in the current 3G commercial are white.

Definitely no black characters in the current 3G spot.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You mean the one store that would generate the MOST free publicity from the closing? (Which it did.) Publicity worth at least $1,000,000 if they had bought it?

That store?

There's no camera in that photo.

21. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

They ALWAYS film way more footage than needed. Even in movies. because 50% of it is edited out. So the outsides shots were probably not used.

Lets move on.

22. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

DEFINITELY?

[​IMG]

And the person above me is right.

23. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Who is black? The guy on the right?

Here is the front and back of the guy from the same ad, taken less than 1 second apart:

Attached Files:

24. Chronimac macrumors member

i think he meant the dude in the middle, down the hallway.