So.... now that Frys screwed me (I guess) should I just get her an original iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MooseBlood, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MooseBlood macrumors member

If you feel like reading the Frys thread... I ordered one in the first 15 minutes they were on sale via phone (the only way they were selling through their website). I was told they were getting them in 2 weeks to the day and we sat and counted on the calendar to make sure it would show up on the 31st for my wife's b-day.

Now they send me an email this AM saying I can go ahead and cancel (I didn't email and ask, I assumed we were still on for the 31st with no probs since I ordered in the first 15 minutes and would be in the first round of shipments).

Would somebody who has never had an iPad be really disappointed in the capabilities of a 16 gig wi-fi iPad 1 (it is $100 less afterall), or should I look into the refurb 32 gig wi-fi iPad 1 directly from Apple? Is either a good starter model? Or if I'm buying one anyway, do I just go for the gusto?

It will be used for game playing, email, facebook, but also for work (she is a geometry teacher). She will use it to create things and show them to the class through the projector, store photos of the kids, read ebooks, and such. We are both kindle users, so I just see this as an upgrade to a Kindle, but also a much easier solution for lounging around on the couch and goofing around rather than lugging a macbook on the lap at night during downtime.

I'm just re-thinking here and wondering if it is worth the extra weight and extra $71-100 for the iPad 2 since this will be her first anyway. If it is I will keep up the search and battle. If not... maybe I'll even look for a nice used one from a member here who is upgrading and just wants to recoup some cash.

All suggestions appreciated (please keep the flames to a minimum... I've been away from the site having major major surgeries, and am bedridden, currently off work, and need any advice I can get from those in the know to do something extra special for my ultra patient, caring, and wonderful wife for her big day.... I haven't always been the greatest at celebrating her, and I'm trying to step it up since she's stood by me through HELL).

Thanks everybody.

2. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I'm surprised Fry's told you it would be a 2 week wait considering that the actual stores had them on the release date. Nevertheless, everything you mentioned would work well on the ipad 1 with the exception of the games and the video output. I have not used the feature yet on my ipad but from what I understand, the ipad 2 mirrors everything that goes on on-screen while the ipad 1 does not. I'm sure a OS update could fix this but who knows if they will turn it on. Games will run faster and have better graphics on the ipad 2 but if she is not a big gamer, she may not notice the difference.

If I were you, just try to find a ipad 2 before her birthday and if you can't find one, just buy the ipad 1 the day before her birthday. I'm sure they will be in stock online or locally plus that will give you another 15 days or so to return it just in case you find a ipad 2 and she wants to upgrade. Good luck!

3. Munitalp macrumors 65816

The iPad 1 is probably fine if she doesn't really care about the iPad 2 and just wants an iPad in general.

You can buy them (iPad 1's) brand new from Apple on their site under the clearance section for $100 less.

Although the iPad 2 would probably earn you a few extra points :eek:

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Don't buy an original iPad unless you are getting it super cheap. $100 is not enough IMHO. We've seen the benchmarks. The iPad 2 leaves the iPad 1 for dead. No the iPad 1 is not dead yet -- but it's usefulness has been halved, and Apple products don't have long natural lives as-is b/c of their planned obsolescence. I won't be too surprised if the soon-to-be announced iOS 5 has features that will not be available in the iPad b/c of it's specs.

There there is the thinness and lower weight of the iPad 2 that makes it much more holdable. The iPad 1 was a amazing when it was released, but it feels like a brick now when you hold it side-by-side w/ and iPad 2.

So do yourself a favor and keep searching for an iPad 2. You are bound to find one soon enough. She'll love you for getting her the newest one.

5. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

frys will do anything to screw their customers over thats why i dont shop their unless i really need to not the best place to shop

6. Dav1 macrumors 6502

As an iPad 1 owner I think you might want to go for a larger disk than just 16GB, also based on the teardowns I've read of the iPad2 and iPad1 you may want to think about the durability of the iPads, the one in my opinion seems to be much more durable, and easier to repair, that may or may not matter in a school setting. Also you should be aware that with neither device, can you assume that anything on the screen can be shared on a monitor or projector, this feature can be enable, or disable by the program developer of the app in use...

7. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Honestly - call B&H. They will have stock this week!

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

My experience is different. Last Black Friday they offered Logitech Harmony 900 and 1100 remotes for $49 after rebate ($129 before). Normally these sell for $240+.

Their online system allowed people to order even after they sold out. Initially Fry's sent a "order canceled, we're sorry" letter and left it at that. But then a few days later I received an email that they would honor the orders but the would take 3 month to fulfill. At that price that was more than fine w/ me. Frys didn't have to go to that effort, but they did. I don't feel screwed one bit.

Kind of a moot point since who actually "repairs" iPads? If they break you take them to Apple and they exchange them for a set price. The iPad 1 is easier to disassemble, true, but there are no real user serviceable parts like in an MacBook or MacBook Pro, so no need to take it apart.

9. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

An interesting concept. Except that it isn't possible to halve the usefulness of something that already exists. It'll always be at least as capable as it is now, and with so many of them already in circulation, it's hard to imagine how there won't continue to be new software, and on-going iOS updates that will support it.

Ah, like my 1999 Powermac, which is still in daily use. My original iPhone which is still in use. My 4th gen iPod, my G5 dual processor..... Yeah, all alive and kicking. Just because Apple release new products regularly (as do everyone else if you hadn't noticed) doesn't mean the old ones are obsolete.

Is an iPad 2 better than an original. Of course, but by your argument it too will be obsolete and useless a year from now.

The truth is that if you view the product as a tool, and as long as it achieves the goal set for it, it is never obsolete and remains as useful as it was on day one.

10. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The fact that you said she wants to show things through a projector means you should get the iPad 2 for the video mirroring capability. The iPad 1 doesn't have that option.

11. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

In about a month when its easier to get an iPad 2 you will regret buying an iPad 1. Not just because of weight and thinness but because many apps will be coming out that take advantage of its increased speed, gpu, and gyrosocpe.

12. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

it doesn't mirror but it will show the display on a TV through the HDMI connector on an iPad 1.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Last time I looked iOS 4 is not compatible w/ the original iPhone. iOS 3 or 4 is not fully compatible w/ the iPhone 3G. iOS 4.3 drops support completely for iPhone 3G. This constant progression of only making recent iOS versions compatible w/ recent iOS devices will continue. As this happens developers will keep developing with the newest SDK features available, ones that don't work w/ older iOS devices w/ older iOS software.

Hey, if you want to party like it's 1999 go for it. I have a working Mac II SE/20 myself, though I have it for kicks not real work. But let's be serious here. Modern software doesn't run on such antiques. That is the definition of obsolete. Obsoleted is not synonymous with "does not turn on," or "broken." It means the item has reached the end of it's productive life -- and by productive I mean by 2011 industrial nation standards, not your basement in a vacuum.

Back to my original argument. It is that saving $100 is not enough given that, yes, the original iPad will be less useful this time next year than the iPad 2. iOS 5 and 6 will see to that and developers will then follow. Sure you can install iMovie on an iPad 1.0 but you have to effectively bootstrap it via the iPhone Config Utility, something the avg. consumer isn't going to do. And even then you don't get the complete experience, possibly a worse one when iTunes surreptitiously removes it.

So yes, if choosing a new iPad 2 or a new iPad 1 and the price difference is only $100 the iPad 2 is the no brainer.

14. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

This is an important feature for a teacher to utilize. I would say if you can't gather an iPad 2, then give her a really good card with a picture of her iPad 2 that will be in her hands as early as possible. Emphasize the usefulness of the full mirroring for class usage.

15. duk macrumors regular

Watch out for the iPad 1! The strangest thing happened the day the 2 came out, it's now only half as useful as it once was! For instance, I can only load half a website, can only get through half a level of angry birds, only half of an email displays!!! It's a nightmare I tell you! It goes on and on... Please consider some people tend to over dramatize because what they have, has to be the best, call it an insecurity or whatever. iPad 1 is still great and if purchased via craigslist, eBay you can get some incredible deals. If a super deal on a still very capable device isn't what your looking for, place an order on apple.com and wait it out, either way it's a win for you, save $ and time or with a bit of patience get the latest and greatest.

16. dacreativeguy macrumors 68010

Your first mistake was putting any trust/faith/hope in Fry's. Rookie mistake!

17. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

The adapter for the iPad 1 is composite, not HDMI. the video quality is not great. Also, it won't mirror what's on the display but will send video playback through the adapter.

I have both iPads and both adapters. The iPad 2 with the HDMI mirroring is awesome, the iPad 1 with the composite adapter is much less useful, especially since I have an Apple tv with AirPlay.

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Yeah, I just bought an iPad 1 32gb, and it's usefulness for me certainly isn't half what it would have been had I decided to get an iPad 2. But the load on my wallet was certainly less, and being my first iPad and that I bought it for writing, it's already clear that it more than meets my needs for now.

19. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

As a wife, DON'T get your wife the original iPad. Order her an iPad2 and tell her what happened. She will appreciate your thoughtfulness and the fact that she's getting the newest, not the older, iPad. If you get her the old iPad, she will feel like you feel like she doesn't deserve the best(at least that's how I would take it). Yea, I know you are just concerned with the deadline, but birthday's come and go...The iPad is forever, LOL

Just a woman's perspective.

20. NEBaghead macrumors member

NEBaghead

Try doing the reserve method with Best Buy. I'm sure in the next couple of weeks, you will be able to get an iPad 2. You can also use the 'iPad 2 Picture' and promise of getting one as soon as they are available.

I got my wife a first gen and she is happy with it. She could care less about the different features of the new iPad 2. If she will be doing projections, VGA out is available in most of the Apps (especially if the output will be PDF). Most projectors at schools aren't going to be 1080p, unless their IT dept has nice budgets. Most of my work projectors are just VGA/DVI inputs.

21. Psood21 macrumors member

No offence OP but don't you know what women want?? Giving her a previous generation Ipad is NOT a good idea my friend.. Instead give her an IOU note and try to find one in your local best buy. I made pals with the best buy manager and he told me that they are getting shipments everyday.

22. MooseBlood thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the kind words and good advice everybody. My problem is that I am disabled, but I also have a 2 year old daughter I watch during the days. So getting in the car and driving to a Best Buy and standing in a line isn't really an option. I've tried calling and they won't tell me anything so they are no help. Plus even if they had one it would take me an hour to get over there and they won't hold one. Getting ready, loading the kid, unloading the kid, etc. is darn near impossible for me.

I really need something mail ordered, or to find something nearby and beg my brother to go pick it up for me (which he probably wouldn't do anyway). I just wish the timing weren't so bad. I thought the Frys deal was going to work out perfectly for me. What a disappointment.

I realize it's just a little computer thing..... but I think she'd love it and I want to let her know how grateful I am to her for carrying me through all of these crazy surgeries that have left me pretty much in bed for most of the last couple of years. Thanks a lot Frys. Knuckleheads. Can't even help out a poor soul. Maybe I should stand on a street corner with a sign that says "Need an iPad2.... will tell you sob stories and give you my last $500!" :p