So...now that the WWDC keynote's over, any reason not to buy a Palm?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wolfpup, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I've needed a new PDA for a couple of weeks, but held out, just in case something better comes along. There have been rumors of a new iPod that's basically an iPhone without the phone, and which theoretically could make an awesome PDA (if it gets some more basics like word processing/spreadsheet support).

But now that dosen't seem to be coming anytime soon, and might not be that great even when it does.

Palm's Folio turned out to just be a mini-laptop that doesn't run much. So that's not too useful either (I could get a real low-end Windows laptop for the same price-although those would be clunkier to haul around as a PDA). If it was cheaper, I could sort of see using a Macbook combined with my 5.5G iPod as a PDA, but that's pretty pricey.

Soooooo...any reason not to just buy another Palm TX? It's kind of boring to do, and hopefully something more interesting won't come out right after I buy it, but at least it works pretty darned well.

2. myjellyass macrumors regular

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Wouldn't expect anything from Mr. "PDAs are dead" Steve Jobs anyway. I'm trying to force my organizer activities onto a Razr, but functionality is so limited...

What's wrong with your old Palm?

I see Tungsten C's on eBay really cheap... is the X a lot better?

4. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

I broke it :D

I know they're not going to call it a PDA, but the iPhone with a few third party apps seems like it could make a great PDA, and an iPod that's an iPhone without the phone that can run those same apps might make a great PDA too.

I've been VERY disappointed by the way the PDA market is not only stagnant, but has actually gone backwards in the last few years. Although the TX is pretty solid and the least buggy model Palm's released in the last few years.

Oh well, guess I should go ahead and order. Apple better not unveil a 6G iPod next week that runs Docs to Go :D

I'm baffled by why Sony's Mylo and Nokia's internet tablets don't support PIM applications, as if they did they seem like they could make great PDAs too.

5. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

that palm device is awful. the ceo tried to turn it on to show how it "takes no time to boot" and he couldn't even get it to turn on so he quickly flipped the lid shut and kept talking. aside from that funny moment, it really just has too many different things wrong with it to list.

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

apple wont ever release a product that is in competition with or overlaps one of its other products (just look at the ipods video capability or the macbook lines) but i agree about the palms being crap and remember, anything other than hardware can and will be upgraded over time, apple stated to free software updates for 2years if i remember correctly, it is after all their 1st phone and phone os, baby steps

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Um, what do you call the iPhone?

8. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Overpriced... and undermemoried.

9. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

asus might have the answer.

hahaha got a vid of that priceless moment? they didn't name it fooleo for nothing.

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

If the 6G iPod really is an iPhone without the phone capabilities, then don't expect to see it until xmas sales begin (oct/nov). No way would they overlap the release of both products, inevitably cutting down on the iPhone sales (which is what they care most about at this point).

Anyways, I say go for the Palm if you really need a PDA now - I don't see anything coming out from Apple anytime soon that would make you regret your buy.

11. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

12. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

How much RAM does it have? I haven't seen the specs on what the hardware actually is. I assume some ARM chip and maybe 32-128MB.

If they really are going to close it off to developers (like Dataviz who I'm sure would do a Documents to Go for it), then it and the theoretical 6G iPod might not work for me anyway.