So...NOW whaddya think of this question?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by inkster218, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. inkster218 macrumors newbie

    Aug 7, 2004
    Hey kids,

    So, being an on the fence switcher, waiting for Paris to make a decision, is the new G5imac IT, like thats all the big news?

    Not that it isn't great, but should I hold out any hope for any PB news from Paris?

    If not, what are peoples thoughts about buying a g4 PB now or waiting for something new?
  2. bobpensik macrumors regular

    Aug 21, 2003
    Calgary, AB
    Well it seems that if you are thinking about a G4 PB then you will ALWAYS be playing the waiting game! i mean 2 days after they are released people are talking about the next revision!

    But it is more then likely that we will see another G4 PB update before the G5, but no one is certain when that will be. If the current PB line will meet your needs then go for it, it won't dissappoint you!

    However if you do decide to wait for the G5 PB, then you will have a long wait. First it most likely won't be released for a while, and then when it is, it is still a Rev A and you will want to wait a bit before buying so you know if any issues arise!
  3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

    Aug 19, 2004
    For what do you plan to use your computer?

    I have a 15" Powerbook and I love its portability. It does everything I need it to do (e-mail, word processing, internet, some gaming, running a zillion programs simultanously).

    It's a good time to buy a Powerbook, I think. They were last updated in April, and since they're the third revision of this Powerbook line, a lot of the heat issues and defects found in earlier Powerbooks are absent. I just noticed today that has a $150 rebate, which isn't a bad deal if you can't qualify for Apple's education discount.

    I don't think there will be new Powerbooks for AT LEAST the next month -- otherwise Apple would have probably announced them during the keynote. From what I've been reading on the forums, a lot of people seem to think there will be another update to the G4 late in the fall with a G5 Powerbook in spring of next year.
  4. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

    Aug 29, 2004
    If the current one meets your needs then buy it. I just got a 15" 1.5 AND LOVE IT!!! It will do what I want and need for a long time. On the upgrade side, I can see how going with bigger and faster processors and equipment in this size can be a challenge. My 15" is very hot when running. That alluminum case sure is a heat sink because I can feel the heat its pulling out. You just have to get what will work for you and upgrade with whats available so you will feel happy with your new equipment and purchase. Trying to get the latest and greatest in any tech, especially computers, can lead to alot of angst (I know, I had to cure myself of this). Having this in my hands has cured me of the "what if it could be better"-itis - I am very happy with its speed and capability.

    PB 15" 1.5GHz 1.5 gig ram 128vid 5400rpm drive
  5. inkster218 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 7, 2004
    uses and another question..

    I am a designer. Mostly need multiple windows open, sometimes a few photoshop docs at once.

    Concerning heat...I am a writer and sit in various locations as I travel around Italy with the laptop on my it really a hot momma to sit with?


    Thanks all...great advice so far.

Share This Page