So on iOS4, Safari tabs will for sure NOT have to reload after awhile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegeta-san, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

I read this in a post somewhere on the forums and I just want to make sure. Could someone with a 3GS on iOS4 verify this by opening up Safari, opening up 8 full sized webpages (not mobile formatted webpages), going back to the home screen and opening up the most graphic/memory intensive app you have (Real Racing or something), playing around with it for a bit and then going back into Safari and checking each tab for content? Thank you.

2. Petey-ed macrumors 6502

You have to reload all the tabs but the one you currently have highlight or are using. So no. This bugs me, multitasking would be much better if Apple would actually make Safari more useful.

3. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I just tried it... opened up 8 web pages, then played Space Miner for a minute, then Star Defense. With a total of 24 apps in my multitasking bar, Safari still displays the web page content on each of its "tabs" and doesn't have to reload the page.

It's all very seamless, and the iOS 4 experience generally feels faster to me than the previous OS. I think most people will be very pleased.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Depending on usage and the image-intensity of the webpages, I have had it reload pages on opening. This was particularly true when switching back from Navigon. I will say, however, that under normal use Safari is much smoother, and far less likely to refresh tabs.

5. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

So what's up with this? Why are we getting no definitive answer? Maybe it behaves differently on different devices? 3G vs 3GS?

6. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

I would assume because of RAM differences.

7. EmilyMayhem macrumors member

I'm not sure otherwise, but if you have open tabs, close Safari, take it out of your multitasking bar, and open it again from the home screen, all the tabs will reload. It doesn't matter what sites you were on, it seems. It happened to me several times before I realized why it was happening.

8. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course, that makes sense. That's because when you do that you're effectively shutting down Safari from working in the background. Right now the only way to do that (keep all the tabs in Safari, but blank) is to force quit it (pre 4.0)

9. EmilyMayhem macrumors member

Yeah, I got it now, haha. I was just confused for awhile before I realized what it was doing and why it was happening.