So Orange are soon to be selling the iPhone in the UK...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phatzer, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

I was reading the news a couple of days ago and stumbled across a news article, which spoke of Orange's new venture in to the iPhone market in the UK. First off I thought to myself, "Great, I'll be with O2 for a while yet then, paying for their half-contract at double the price of a normal phone", thinking that there would only be the two iPhone carriers in the UK, as surely Apple wouldn't allow any more UK carriers on board.

So, I started thinking from my days as a PAYG customer on Orange with a Nokia mobile phone, and then it hit me... I remember being on Vodafone before moving to Orange, and every single feature of my phone worked and no corporate logo's slapped me across the face when I powered on/off my phone. But, with Orange, I switch on my phone and BAM! ORANGE!! YES... YOU'RE ON ORANGE AND WE'D LIKE TO MAKE SURE YOU'RE FULLY AWARE OF THAT, AND IN THE PROCESS, YOUR PHONE MIGHT FREEZE ON YOU...

The next issue I found was that, about half the features worked on my phone, as Orange didn't support them. So, I had the same phone on two different networks... One which was fully functional with simple manufacturer branding and one, which was half-functional with carrier branding all over the place.

So, my biggest worry was this: being that Orange will be selling the iPhone by the end of the year in the UK, would it mean that the moment I switch it on and the Apple logo appears, that an Orange square bounces in from the left and sits on top of it while it's booting? Also, I worry that somewhere, the iPhone will have an orange logo stamped on the case around the back, or even worse, on the front.

Also, does this mean that the phone will not feature everything it does currently? For example, will the phone not have visual voicemail, or more ultimately, would I find Safari missing?

I've not been on Orange for a long time now, so I can't expect to base my opinion solely on past experiences, but I do worry about it. Maybe some others have experienced Orange more recently as a reliable, supporting carrier for reception and various phone features?

PS: I then heard yesterday, that Vodafone are also to start selling the iPhone early next year, so all is well and good... For me anyway :)

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple controls the OS, full stop. There will be no Orange branding anywhere on the iPhone though there's nothing to stop Orange writing their own apps for their customers to download.

We will have to wait and see if Visual Voicemail is offered by Orange and Vodafone but there is absolutely no way they will allowed to remove Safari.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

There is no way that Apple would allow their precious iPhone to be available on a network unless it would be allowed it's full functionality.

On a completely separate note: Its so nice to see something about a carrier other than AT&T.

4. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

Although i wish for it [​IMG] apple will never move from o2 to orange.... end of story

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Are you sure about that? :rolleyes:

6. Bagot69 macrumors member

Has any1 seen anything about Tariffs or pricing yet with Orange?

7. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

No branding will be on the iPhone.

LMAO at that! :D

Reminds me of my Sony Ericsson days! :D

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm sure it will be mentioned on MacRumors as soon as we have some more news.