So... Pewdiepie did a thing again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Michael Goff, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Michael Goff, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Is it alright to admit that, maybe, Pewdiepie is a bigot? I mean, after the Hitler thing and the holocaust jokes, and now saying n***** on a live stream, along with all the other times slurs have been said, it seems to be a pattern.

Is it time to admit he’s a bad person?

Edit: For those of you that don’t know who he is

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PewDiePie

2. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

A word like that just doesn't roll off the tongue unless it's used frequently imo.

I never cared for him anyways and it still blows my mind he generates massive revenue.

Time to pull the plug on this dude.

3. Michael Goff thread starter Suspended

Michael Goff

Agreed. People say bad things when frustrated, sure, but usually words they say often enough for it tothey be the first thing that comes to mind. I say MFer a lot, for example. Also, GD it.

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Oh geez, Sargon of Akkad already has an hour and ten minute long video on this...

I don't think it's that big of a deal, to be honest. For some people, the n-word is just another swear word, like c*nt or a*shole, and one uses them variously. You may think a person shouldn't have added that particular word to their arsenal of swears, but it doesn't mean they're a racist. If he used it to describe a black person, then some red flags would be raised, but not in this instance.

5. Michael Goff thread starter Suspended

Michael Goff

Is that a picture of you as your avatar?

6. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Yes, it is a picture of me kissing a girl on the cheek :) I hope this is relevant somehow :p

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Good job providing any context. What the **** are you talking about?

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

A jerk on YouTube.
    I found my teenager watching one of his videos, I had no idea who he was. I was livid and told him not to watch the guy anymore. I know he will, but at least I made sure that he knows it pisses me off.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oh well now he knows it pisses you off, you've probably guaranteed that he'll watch it. :D

10. Michael Goff thread starter Suspended

Michael Goff

It is quite relevant. You say the N word is just a swear word, like any other, but haven’t had to deal with the racist use of the word against you.

My bad, I forget some people don’t know.

Pewdiepie, real name Felix Kjellberg, is the single biggest YouTube star with over 57 million subscribers. He had a contract with Disney, but lost if after paying a couple of people to hold up a sign that said “death to all Jews” after which he apologized and said he wasn’t anti Semitic and didn’t think the guys in question would actually do it. Apparently the men in question didn’t know what the sign said.

11. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I said for some people it is. And for those people, they aren't using it as a racial slur. You're right: I'm a blond-haired blue-eyed white boy who doesn't know what it means to have a racial slur used against him. I'm not arguing that what PewDiePie said shouldn't be offensive. I won't tell people what they should and shouldn't be offended by. But I will argue against people labeling him a racist for simply saying it (I should add that I don't find PewDiePie entertaining in the slightest, so I couldn't care less about his "image", but I'm not a fan in general of the rabid-dog response to anyone uttering this word in any imaginable context). For practical purposes, it would be wise if people in the spotlight didn't say it. Even Paula Deen admitting she had used the word in the past was enough to end her career. But non-racist people can use and have used the word. It may make them an insensitive idiot, but it doesn't make them a racist.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So because he looks like a white guy in his avatar his opinion on the n-word is irrelevant with the exception if the opinion is the same as yours?

13. Michael Goff thread starter Suspended

Michael Goff

How about when he paid people, who couldn’t read the sign, to hold up a sign that said “death to all Jews”? Or when he paid another guy to dress up as Jesus and dance around while saying “Hitler did nothing wrong”?

14. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I think that went without saying as soon as he said his teenager.:D

15. Michael Goff thread starter Suspended

Michael Goff

My opinion is also irrelevant. Whether or not I believe a thing doesn’t change that a racist word is racist.

16. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Anyway, this Youtube star seems to be taking a page out of Trumps book, appealing to people's distaste for political correctness, and some of the worser aspects of the human condition.

17. Michael Goff thread starter Suspended

Michael Goff

That’s what gets me these days. People seem to throw “don’t be a horrible person that says and does horrible things” into “political correctness”.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/pewdiepie-world-apos-most-popular-051702327.html

19. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

That's what I would assume about the "Nazi stuff". He's definitely trying to be "edgy" and I happen to find it completely unfunny and unappealing. I don't know if he's actually a bigot, though, that's the thing. He certainly isn't doing much to make people think otherwise, but based on what I've seen I wouldn't conclude that he's anything other than an edgelord.

20. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Well, when the "N" word is thrown around in all sorts of popular music, film, and slang, yet only when "some" people say it liberals and SJW's get all in a tiff, then it becomes a matter of who is allowed to use it, it is political correctness.

Context matters, the difference between saying someone is your "blood brother", by saying "my negro", as opposed to using the term to demean someone by saying "you n**er".

I've had a black man tell me I was just like him, a n**er, meaning that the world looked down on me, the same way it looked down on him.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2017 ---
    Who knows, who knows if Trump is a bigot, it's appealing to some of the worser aspects of the human condition because their is some profit in it for them.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

In all of this remember he's not a native English speaker and not from the states that word will have much less meaning to him than it does to us

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm comfortable saying that no one should use racial slurs. Full stop.

But, for a "You Tube Personality" (anyone find this job description dumber than hell?) from Sweden to say "what a ****ing ******" followed by "I'm sorry. But, what a ****ing *******!" is exactly the kind of context where ****** should not be used.

And, this is the first time that this idiot has been caught making prejudicial "jokes" on his YouTube show.

Context matter. And, in this case PewDiePie deserves whatever opprobrium he gets.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Absolutely true, but I had to use some reverse psychology. If I didn't show my disappointment he would've found something worse just to piss me off. This way he'll stick on watching this idiot for a bit ;)

24. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Words can't harm people, they only have the meaning we assign to them.

25. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Not that he needs it, but how many new subscribers would the guy have got since this story?

Don't use racial slurs, teach your kids why they are wrong and move on. No sense in giving muppets the attention they seek.