So pissed off at Safari right now! How do I make the delete key NOT do a page back?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Oct 11, 2008.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I just finished filling out a big comment reply at craigslist, there was a text box already filled in with my email address that I didn't want to use for this comment, so I clicked in the box and hit delete - but it activated the page back command, then when I paged forward my whole comment was gone!

I'm so fricken pissed off at Safari right now! It turns out the box with my address in it looked exactly like a regular text box, but wasn't. So when I hit the delete key the cursor focus wasn't in a text box, and Safari decided that meant it should do a back command and not save my comment text locally before doing it. I'm so fricken pissed.

So now I'm trying to remove that key command which I never ever use on purpose, but I can't figure out a way to do it. I can't find it in the help docs. System pref's keyboard pane won't let me assign the delete key to a different function.

HELP!

2. corinhorn macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

I have made the same mistake before and was equally pissed. I searched far and wide and never found a fix. I got in the habit of typing up posts/comments in textedit or Word and then copying them onto the webpage after they were complete. It's saved my ass a few times. Sorry I can't offer a keyboard shortcut fix. :mad:

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

If it's of any consolation, Firefox (2) does the same thing. You have to make sure the cursor is right where it's meant to be - but then you know that. In my case it's comment on or question about a YouTube video. Corinhorn's workaround is probably the thing to do.

This is a situation where you pester Apple (or Mozilla) to give we users the OPTION to disable keystrokes that are causing problems. Would it do any good? I don't know, but maybe it's worth a try. Trouble is, 90% of users don't encounter the problem, or think it must be their own bungle.