So, Remember when Trump Won The Election And The MSM Started Talking About Doomsday Scenarios?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Jul 13, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors regular

Remember when the Rachel Maddows and the Don Lemons where freaking out after Trump won, speculating our demise? Well it turns out that since Donald Trump has won, the stock market has increased 17%! So, where's this Doomsday they where talking about?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...w-stock-market-high-market-17-since-election/

The Dow Jones Industrial Average recorded its 23rd all time high of 2017 yesterday closing at 21,532. There have been a total of 120 days where the markets have closed since President Trump’s inauguration on January 20th. The ‘DOW’ has closed at all time highs 23 of those days for nearly 20% or one-fifth of the days the market has been open. The market is up 9% since the inauguration.

Since the election on November 8th the DOW has closed at record highs an amazing 40 times! Nearly one-fourth or 24% of the 168 days the markets have closed have been record highs since the November 8th election. The market is up 17% since the election!

Americans are benefitting greatly in their 401k’s from the recent change in Administrations.

When compared to President Obama, the current President is smashing it.

In Obama’s entire first term, the US stock market (DOW) never reached a new closing high. In years 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 the DOW never reached a new high once!

2. samcraig macrumors P6

LOL - you know why it didn't reach a new high once, right?

3. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Trump has to fix the mess of TWO previous presidents.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Yeah. That's exactly what it is. Sad and desperate.

5. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Is the stock market doing really good?? How can that be when the Orange one is in office?o_O

6. samcraig macrumors P6

It's doing well. But that's not just because of Trump. And it was on a steady incline before the election. What this really says is that despite the issues facing the White House - he hasn't tanked the market.

7. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Also a ceasefire in Syria brokered by Trump, and Iraqi forces retaking Mosul. These all affect the market in big ways. In fact our President is so Diplomatic he's over in France, improving relations as we speak.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

The most diplomatic President ever. The greatest. I bet there hasn't been a more diplomatic President ever. Maybe. Who knows.

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

I do know my portfolio looks very nice. Has improved well since Jan 17 :)

10. elistan macrumors 6502a

It'll be interesting to see how it goes. To compare, from Feb 2009 to Feb 2017 the SP500 increased 186%.

11. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I think the only person who believes any of this nonsense is Trump himself. I've pointed it out already, history will show Obama to be was of the greatest American Presidents ever. I'd expect Trump's 4 years will be deleted from history by most.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'll be sure to let the left-behinds of the entire Appalachian chain know that. Word of mouth spreads fast amongst those who can't even afford their heating bills in winter never mind access to the internet.

LOL one thing the less technological grapevine managed to convey to them was that Trump's budget planned to cut their Home Heating Assistance and Meals on Wheels budgets, along with the entire Appalachian Regional Commission's seed money budget for launching industry startups and apprenticeship programs. Fortunately that was a bit over the top even for Mitch McConnell. Otherwise it's doubtful anyone in the chain would even know what a 401k was in another 20 years.

13. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

You realize we are headed to another recession soon, right?

Guess we'll blame trump when it does. LOL

14. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Surely that's Obama's fault!

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Trump can't fix his orange skin or stop offending all our allies or stop lying what the hell do you think he is capable of fixing in the government?

16. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Really if you're gonna give presidents all the credit for the stock market you should tell the full story. The markets have been climbing for ten years now. This is nothing new....

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL Trump acts like an entire four year term may be too much of a personal burden to bear. But on the bright side, he does still remember having won the election. Even if we have to remind him fairly often that it's the electoral college majority that put him into office, so not to worry about that pesky popular vote that seems to obsess him.

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Currently Obama was rated 12th as of Feb 2017. When this Email/Hack/Russian/Collusion mess straightens out I wonder where he will stand?

I will be surprised if he doesn't drop a bit.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...dents-c-span-poll-gives-high-marks-2017-02-17

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

And the second largest bull market in history happened under Obama, sorry but Trump isn't anywhere close to those levels.

20. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

He's still got another 7.5 years to prove...;)

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Good luck with that, your boy is going to need it.

22. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't you say you're in this line of work? How can the stock market be doing so well if Trump is an evil dictator, hell bent on collusion with Russians and attacking NK with nukes? I have a friend who use to be a floor trader on WS. He told me one of the biggest things about trading is it has a lot to do with the way people "feel" about things. He said a lot of people don't know that.

23. mudslag, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I am in this line of work as a equity spreader. Your friend isn't wrong, feelings do play a part but that's more on a personal trading level. One could argue about a collaborated feeling about X which would have influence on the market going up or down but in general feelings are more personal based. You also need to know in this day and age of modern technology, automated systems help take that aspect out of trading. That's why I only used auto trading programs now, because my "feelings" get in the way too many times.

The market is like a living entity and is more affected by global influence then any day to day operations of a President, that goes for any President. The markets don't care about the past so the collusion doesn't matter, that is unless something comes from it, then that could bite Trump in the ass market wise. Even if it's not him directly but those around him. SC Mueller could have a negative effect on Trump and the market. The markets dont really care about NK either. Sure we get dips when they do something stupid but it's very short lived, often only lasting a few hours before recovering. Even when they test their nukes and rockets, the market reacts very little.

Trump's biggest influence right now is the speculation on future tax breaks, openings for drilling operations, further deregulations, ect. Most of which could easily hurt him just as much as help him if those plans don't turn out as the markets hope for. This Trump bump, as it's called, is the market speculating that these plans move forward and up to par with Trump's grand plans.

The economy has had great upward momentum for the last few yrs, that's also why thegatewaypundit didn't show the market results under Obama after 2012. When Obama left, he left with 75 months of consecutive job growth, low inflation, rising home values/corporate profits/consumer confidence and booming stock markets. Thegateway didnt show that because they can't spin that in Trump's favor.

It will be hard for Trump's influence to best the markets the way it did under Obama, even in 8 yrs. You have to remember, Obama oversaw the jump start of a recovery which is where that momentum came from, Trump only inherited it. Trump's tax cut plans will give the markets a boost if he can pull it off but even tax cuts are short lived when it comes to long term market effects. Iv heard some economist say that in order for Trump to get close to over all Obama numbers, employment would have to come down to under 1%, manufacturing would have to return to 1950s levels and we would need another internet type boom of the 90s. While that too is speculation on their part, the one thing that is true, is that Trump is currently riding the wave, he hasn't done much of anything to influence it. He has yet to produce any successful legislation that has or is expected to have long term effects on the markets.

24. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

A very insightful post, thanks for the write up.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, great. The DJI is at an all-time high. Let us put aside for one moment the fact that any policy decisions regarding the economy take time to have an effect, and thus it is likely the previous administration, or perhaps even the one before that, has some role in this (as noted above). Let us put aside that the President actually has limited power when it comes to the economy. Let us put all of that aside and ask what does it mean for the DJI to be at an historic high?

Honestly my first three thoughts about this are:
    1. Lovely. Another bubble waiting to burst...
    2. Great for the people who own stocks. Namely, the elites rather than average people. Let's talk when wages increase meaningfully.
    3. Big corporations are salivating over being deregulated by Trump so that they can run amok once again, polluting the environment, treating their workers like something stuck to the bottom of their shoe, and making more money for the wealthy and the managerial classes.