So say I want to connect my external Hard Drive to my wireless router...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JonTheRvelator, Jun 2, 2007.

1. JonTheRvelator macrumors member

Would I be able to access my itunes library on it, with little to now strife?

I'm looking to buy a new MBP when the updates are made and don't want to have to connect my hard drive whenever I want to listen to music. I'm hoping I can just plug it into the new router apple just came out with and make my music library wireless.

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

If your hard drive has a USB 2.0 port, plugging it into Apple's new AirPort Extreme base station (router) would be a good option. From there you can access your hard drive wirelessly once it's plugged into the provided USB port. You shouldn't have too much trouble with that.

However if the hard drive is not connected or you don't have access to the internet, iTunes will not be able to find the music. You create a playlist, say called "External Tunes" with all of the music from the external drive in there. (Make sure the Copy Songs to the iTunes Library is unchecked under the Advanced Importing Preferences). Still iTunes won't be able to find the files when you're not connected to the network (and they will appear with a ! next to them), but at least iTunes will have a Library stored locally.

I haven't done this personally before but, I'm sure other users who have made similar setups can help out. :D

3. JonTheRvelator thread starter macrumors member

I have all my library info stored to my external, I've plugged it into other macs and been able to open the library file and in seconds its all there, my playlists, everything. I have one for my macbook, and one for my external. Once my hard drive is removed I can't open the library anymore, I have to reselect my macbook library.

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Oh ok, you would be doing the same thing I'm guessing only the drive would be wireless. Assuming it's properly setup and connected I don't think you should have any major problems. :)