So sick of very low battery in the AM when on Standby! Please check this Console log.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ajg23, Jan 11, 2015.

1. ajg23 macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2013 MBA that usually--but not always--has VERY low battery in the AM if it was left on standby.

In the past I tried a lot of things described online including inactivating Google Update, and sometimes things would get better, but they always revert.

I feel the Console log has the answers. The attached is the file from going to Standby on 1/10/2015 ~5:30PM while plugged in...to opening lid on 1/11/15 at 10:59AM [then closed, then reopened when decided to write this!]. Went from 100% to 16% charge :(

FYI I don't just shut down because I tend to have multiple files open in Word, and those files are on an encrypted virtual drive (through OS X). I only use Safari now (vs Chrome).

My kingdom (or at least sincerest thanks and a beer if you're local!) to anyone who can help me solve this!

----------

Oops--trouble uploading (just over size limit for .txt files). Please see console log via this link: https://www.evernote.com/l/AALuS4lMiVlHHLZXqAx1fsihmSPPVhlOhqE

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. ajg23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks @Weaselboy, but that's not it--I actually just logged on to mention this: Nosleep is not the problem--in fact, among my MANY tests was not using it in case it WAS the problem :p

Also, Nosleep ONLY prevents sleep when the lid is closed [very helpful to me because I need to maintain connection to the online medical record system when I close the lid between rooms]. When I want the laptop to sleep, I explicitly tell it to sleep [via system menu, macro, or power button], and verify that it went to sleep BEFORE closing the lid. [I have to make sure because sometimes it does not successfully sleep the first time I tell it to :( ]

Thanks for noticing it though! :)

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you leave your MBAir unattended for hours - what prevents you from plugging in your charger?

5. motrek macrumors 68020

6. ajg23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sometimes just isn't (eg in my backpack)...

Worse, it's supposed to be bad for battery to be plugged in constantly while fully charged. And of course I want to minimize wear/tear on battery. So it should be able to sleep :p

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... that won't hurt the battery. It has circuitry built in to prevent overcharging. If you are running on battery when you don't need to, then plugging in to charge again, you are actually using up battery cycles you don't need to.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

8. ajg23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I think possibly...but notably this problem happened before Yosemite. And before Yosemite, I didn't get those multi-line "IDS Traffic Usage" log entries, but I still had the battery drain.

I haven't re-tried resetting SMC and PRAM (mentioned in the linked article) since Yosemite, so I can try that again...

By the way, I also didn't get consistent benefit from writing macros that paired "cleaning up" things that I thought might be problematic [based on earlier Console logs) right before going into standby. They would turn off wifi, turn off bluetooth, and close iTunes, App Store, Contacts, Calendar, and Mail [the latter two I still have automatically closed].

Thanks again all...
    A

----------

Not worried about overcharging but about many hours of [unnecessary] low-level activity and makeup charging. No longer recall where I read this, but some expert recommended not leving Macbook plugged in all night while on standby. My wife's Macbook Pro does not have this problem so she can leave it unplugged :)

9. motrek macrumors 68020

Uff, everybody's an expert.

The laptop won't charge the battery if it's full. No need to worry about overcharging or "low level activity" or whatever you mean by "makeup charging."

In fact, my own personal theory is that the LED on the MagSafe connector turns green when it's not charging. So it's effectively the same as being unplugged at that point, just much more convenient.