So, Sprint has the best 3G in US and Canada at the moment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 10, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

If Sprint has the best 3G, who's number 2? VZW? And, How does ATT's 3G stack up?

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

best in what regard? at&t has the fastest, while verizon has the best coverage overall. however coverage is also dependent on where you live.

i would draw your attention to this paragraph from engadgets recent round-up.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That was definitely a good review if you get past the annoying dongle "art." Basically, Verizon and AT&T rule the 3G world. AT&T's is fastest, while Verizon has better coverage. Once Verizon moves to the next-gen standard and if the iPhone can be backward-compatible with CDMA, then maybe AT&T and Verizon can have a nice battle. But for right now, you get AT&T.

I'd love to see Apple open it up just to get some people off AT&T. I don't think Verizon would've done much better had they been slammed with the same type of traffic. People may buy more BlackBerries, but they don't use them for data as much.

4. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

RUINFX

Excellent article thanks, i think I am going to make my switch from Verizon to AT&T official, it works decent for me, besides having something compatible and useful that works most of the time is better then having.

Something that gives you a connection more places, has useless devices, charges the same amount of $ as AT&T and last has devices that are not compatible with my Mac.

AT&T wins in this category however if Apple chose to go to Verizon I might stay with AT&T because Verizon's network will not handle all those iPhones either.
    :D

5. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

Its also quite nice to have simultaneous voice and data which our friends on verizon and sprint dont have. This may not sound much but I have found myself usuing this many times especially when someone calls whose rambling and you need to occupy yourself ;)

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Sprint is trash. I live in Dallas/Fort Worth area (One of the 10 largest metroplexes in America), and I had Sprint for 2 years. There was a big storm here tonight, and I made many phonecalls from my iPhone (AT&T) and had no problems.

I was not in the same location, I was driving around a lot so it was a wide array of places.

My father did the same thing tonight, and nearly threw his HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) out the window. He had a total of 14 dropped calls, all in about three hours. And on a daily basis, he's lucky if he has under 3 dropped calls.

Sprint needs to just disappear as a major US carrier.

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Sprint doesn't currently have any cellular infrastructure in Canada. Technologically, Sprint's customers could roam in Canada on either Bell Canada's or Telus' networks.

It'd most likely be a little bit of both networks. That's because, while both Bell and Telus have some amount of physical presence all across Canada, neither has full coverage everywhere. They have independent agreements with each other to share each others' networks in regions where one is already established and the other is not, but the other doesn't have enough demand in that area to justify the expense of building its own infrastructure.

8. stevespa macrumors member

I think you mean Sprint customers can roam on Rogers/Fido. Bell and Telus use CDMA, which is not supported by the iPhone. Bell and Telus are switching to GSM before the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

Currently Bell has the most coverage in Canada, but Rogers is the best/fastest IMO. Rogers focuses on excellent coverage in cities and populated areas, where Bell has a lot of towers in the middle of nowhere.

For the OP, I'd say Rogers has the best 3G in North America. I was recently in Cleveland, and the AT&T network between Detroit and Cleveland sucked.

9. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Right, Bell and Telus use CDMA, which is why Sprint customers can roam on their networks. What are you trying to to say? :confused:

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

No, I mean Bell/Telus. The OP asked about Sprint's North American coverage, and Sprint is also CDMA-based. The OP's message didn't mention GSM or the iPhone at all.

11. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

It actually depends on your location. I live in CT and I drive a truck all over the state. Sprint was fantastic!! I had it for just over a year, and without exaggeration, I had 2 dropped calls. And for $99 a month for unlimited everything, I would have stayed if I could've had an iPhone with them... or if the Pre came out a few months earlier. :rolleyes: