So tempting... I can go get a base RMBP today but do I need the upgrades?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mstgkillr, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mstgkillr macrumors regular

I have a RMBP 2.6GHz, 512GB, 16GB, with AppleCare on order with an estimated delivery of July 16th. I used my student discount and will get a total of 7% cash back through my Discover Card because I ordered it online and on a bonus day. The total with AppleCare, after tax and all discounts will be $2975.

I just called my local Apple Store and they have several base RMBP 2.3GHz, 256GB, and 8GB in stock ready to be picked up. I would lose my Discover Card cash back bonus and the total after tax and AppleCare would be $2372.

I am a Civil Engineering student who will be using AutoCAD but I am still not sure if I need the upgrades over the base model.

What does everyone think... Would the base model be enough for AutoCad or should I wait it out and pay $603 more for the upgrades?

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I think the base would be enough, but the problem is you can't upgrade the RAM later (SSD is still difficult and limited). That's why I went with a non-retina, A.K.A classic model so I could upgrade. Just think, when 16 GB RAM modules come out, I can stick 32 GB in this Mac (Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge chipsets support it) while retina's are stuck as a max of 16. Plus, I can stick (2) hard drives/SSDs in there for cheap.

I would wait and max the RAM out at least if you really want a retina MBP. Just my 2 cents.

3. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I think the base + RAM upgrade is your best value. I wouldn't get the Retina model without it. Either this or the one you have on order. I just don't think you NEED the upgrades to do your work.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Keep the upgraded one, if only for the additional RAM.

5. slxx macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation here.

6. thatguy215 macrumors member

I think if you think too long, by the time you get there, all the base models would be gone.

That's what happened to me