So the 17" top price "Pro" laptop is now lower spec than the cheaper ones

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RHD, Oct 14, 2008.

1. RHD macrumors 6502

What is happening with the 17" MBP's?

They've STILL got the bad 8600 nVidea graphics cards and no updates.

Also I really hope that matte screens remain an option if they ever do update the 17", the glass ones are very pretty to look at but horrible to work on all day because of the reflections and glare.

I'm pretty dubious about the direction this is all going from the point of view of pro specs and daily usability in the field.

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I suspect the upgrade was a stopgap. Didn't several rumors say there were some production issues with the 17in "Brick" MBPs? I suspect they will be updated again in a few weeks and will match the new high-end 15in in specs and design.

4. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Given that the matte display is gone on the 15" it seems unlikely to me the 17" will keep it when redesigned.

Hopefully the new 17" will have two Firewire ports though... Either two 800s or a 400 and an 800.

At the moment we are back to the situation with the first-gen MBP where the 15" had one Firewire port (albeit a Firewire 400 port, not 800) and the 17" had two.

5. RHD thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, the standard resolution 17" screen is no longer available only the high res.
    The high res may look very pretty but it gave me such terrible eye strain to work on I ended up sending it back and getting a 17" MBP with a regular screen - and also a faulty nVidea graphic chip.

I think you are right and they tried to get the 17" right but couldn't make it in time and will update it in a month or two to match the rest of the line. Screen glare, eye strain and all.

I was hoping they would at least upgrade the graphics chips it never occurred to me they would mess around with the screens to the extent that I'd rather have graphics issues and a ticking bomb waiting for the chip to fail than a faster prettier machine.
    They are very pretty, but not what I need to work all day on.

Firewire ports. I have four external hard drives and a scanner that need firewire 400. I've never seen a device on sale with an 800 port, not that I've especially looked. A casual throwaway line from Steve about how you can get a little cable to convert it if you really want doesn't really cut it when Apple don't sell any such thing in their stores and I can't find much info on how well they work, or where you get them from in UK.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

they cant really update the graphics until they get the new case ready, it would mean redesigning a NEW logicboard for this chip they arent going to do that with new cases just weeks away which has a completely different logicboard as well

7. dougnewman macrumors 6502

This is hardly new - for a long time the 17" model was still a PowerBook G4 when the 15" was a MacBook Pro.