So the 2.4gh macbbok no different than the 15 inch "stock" macbook pro? hmm..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djvic87, Mar 29, 2009.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

What makes the unibody stock macbook pro "pro" when it almost has the same specs as the unibody 2.4gh macbook? I know that the only difference is that the macbooks don't have any firewire or express card and the unibody macbook pro has a larger screen than the unibody macbooks. But think about it, isn't the stock macbook pro suppose to be more faster than the 2.4gh macbook? I just tought about it and want to know your opinions. thanks.

In better words, is the unibody stock macbook pro "pro" just because it has a larger screen, firewire, and express slots?

I have no regrets of having my unibody macbook pro. I just felt it was very different towards the macbook. In fact, I don't know how it would be for me to have a small screen. I mean I respect other people who have the unibody macbooks. Better yet, all Apple products were made for someone with different taste . Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Only difference is the gpu, fw, bigger screen. Other than that same 2.4GHz and the 3mb of cache.

3. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Well, you know, a larger screen isn't something little (no pun intended). A couple more inches, firewire, express/32, and a better gpu is a nice upgrade and useful to some. If you bought a MBP and didn't need those things.. then why did you buy a MBP?

4. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I would add that the 15" screen isn't just bigger, it's also of noticeably better quality when you see them side by side (compared to the MB).

The MBA has a 13" screen that is much closer in quality to the 15".

5. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Good point eddietr!

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

I used to have a heavy 15inch HP laptop, so I wanted to upgrade to a lighter MacBook.

But I noticed everyone at my school sitting behind a 13inch screens are always slouching forwards towards the screen, can't be good for your neck and posture in the long term.

So I got the MBP not really because I need more GPU power, but the screen size and weight ratio. Because it's small and light when it's closed, and it's big when it's open.

7. gerbilbox macrumors regular

By that, he means that the MacBook Pro displays (and MacBook Air ones too) have better viewing angles and much deeper blacks.

With a color calibrator, you can probably calibrate out some of the differences between the MacBooks and MacBook Pros, but they can't do a thing to match the Pro's viewing angles and deeper blacks. This is not to say that the MacBook displays suck, they're good, just not as good.

8. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I agree with the OP - there are issues...
    I am downgrading to the MB for portability.
    I dont play games, and dont need a GPU.
    It doesnt matter for video editing.

9. jeremybuff macrumors regular

You're forgetting the 1440x900 screen resolution of the 15". You can do more with the larger resolution, especially with apps like Photoshop. That, in addition to the richer colors, makes for a much, much better screen. Exponentially better if you are into design.

10. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Wait.. did you just say the screen does not mean anything in terms of video editing??

11. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

I remember reading somewhere that a smaller screen had less distortion. Is that true?

12. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

I got a macbook pro because I study computer forensics and do both worlds mac and xp. I taught it was ideal for what I do. And I got it because I take it to college and do heavy programs. But if you tell me, I love my mac. Period. I just hope that for what I do I did the right choice. I also heard that many people who are in my career use macbook pros for heavy duty programs.

Just to add real quick, I had the early 2008 macbook pro before the unibdody. What happen was I swapped the older macbook pro for the unibody macbook pro because the early mbp had many issues! such as damaged trackpad, uneven lid (which is very common for the older ones), cranky chassis, and so much more. I had to send the mbp more than 5 TIMES. And I dared to call Apple and request a new unibody macbook pro. So, a nice lady (tier 2) helped me get the new one. I really doubt that I was going to get it but I guess I was lucky. Well.. I paid alot of money for something that was going to work right?

So yeah, I got the unibody macbook pro for heavy duty forensic programs, mess around with data recovery, linux distributions, and last but no least (hate to say it now) windows. And yes, I am a new switcher to the mac.

What do you guys think? thanks.

13. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

I just switched to mac last year too.

So I'm trying to learn how to use it.

14. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Nope.

15. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

16. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Well, there are some obvious differences between the Macbooks and Macbooks Pros, but the gap between the two isn't nearly what it was before the unibody series was released. To a casual observer, they look about the same, other than size. It makes you think they should just eliminate the name difference, and call them something new, something unique. That's what they did when they went from Powerbooks and iBooks to Macbooks and Macbook Pros.

They're more alike than dissimilar today, so they're really the same family of notebooks - 13.3", 15.4" and 17," all unibodies. I know several unibody MBP users (expert users) who seldom switch to the dedicated 9600gpu, and find the integrated 9400gpu is actually a really decent performer. Also, they don't really use the express slot. The overall experience isn't that different between a MB and MBP, other than display resolution/brightness. Same style, same keyboard, same CPU, same material. Three levels: basic (MB,) deluxe (MBP 15.4",) and premium (MBP 17" hi-def.)

Maybe that's what they should call all of them, Macbook Unibody, or Macbook Metal, or Macbook Slab... something to go with this new generation of laptops that distinguishes them from prior versions, and is more consistent with their actual common atributes.

Just a thought, but it's more confusing for the average consumer today than it was last year, especially for first-time Mac buyers. But, I don't work for Apple, so I'm just throwing it out there. :)

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you ignore all the differences, then yes, they're exactly the same.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Smaller, crappier screen, firewire, mini express card slot, and lack of a 9600 gpu, and-of course-$400.

Going off topic, I'd just like for them to put a c2d and 9400 chip in the 12" form factor. Call it a macbook pro mini. God, I would not be able to give apple my money fast enough.

19. khakilad macrumors member

I think that there is massive difference.

The main ones are
    1) Better Screen
    2) Better Graphics
    3) Bigger Screen
    4) Firewire 800
    5)Build Quality ( I've had a 13" MB and swapped it for a 15"MBP and there is no contest.

I don''t agree with people who say the MBP is just for Professionals, as I love the idea of accessing my External HHD via SATA via the Express Port.