so the 5c has it sold well?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SilentLoner, Oct 6, 2013.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I personally like them. Its another option for the consumer but have they sold well? Will be interesting to know.

2. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

Surprisingly yes.
    This last weekend my work had a 50$ gift card with the activation of a 5c, people love them.

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

The 5c has sold a lot better then some people will say it has . This past Saturday when I visited my local Apple Store they were sold out of every phone except the 4s. All the 5s's in all colors and capacities and all the. 5c's in every capacity and color. I'd say it going to sell better now that some sales are going on.

4. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

I think it has sold well, better than the 4 did last year, which is the true comparison.

I've found that tech and business writing about the 5c (and 5s) have been unsually bad this time around. When the 5s was outselling the 5c right after launch, people were saying "Oh no, the 5c is a failure, look how the 5s is crushing it" when it was to be expected that the 5s would outsell the 5c initially (and likely over the life of the products). If the 5c had outsold the 5s, the writing would have been "Oh no, look how poorly the 5s is selling, Apple is crushing its margins and not innovating enough."

Now that some retailers are discounting the 5c to get foot traffic, people are saying "Oh no, 5c isn't selling, Apple is firesaling the phone!" These are some of the same people who were arguing for a $0 on contract phone to begin with. They then ignore reports that 5c is the number 2 selling phone in the US and that sales appear brisk at Apple stores.

There really isn't a true comparable product to compare the 5c with (either in Apple's catalogue or really elsewhere), so it's difficult for some to really figure out how well it "should" sell.

5. Aye macrumors regular

Apple made a ton of them. And I've seen many people @ Apple Store Mall at Millenia buying it. Long lines for people picking up their 5s as well.

6. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Wow which city?

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

8. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

Available within 24 hours on Apple.com, that should tell you something, personally in my opinion the 5c is just the same as a 5 with cheaper material!

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Lexington, Ky. I was honestly surprised. Of course the store was packed and there's only 2 Apple Stores in the whole state.

----------

Some people don't understand. Of course it's available to ship in 24 hours. There's 5 different colors two different capacities. That's 10 different phones. Apple mass produced these phones for a reason. They did it for the chance that if someone went in to be a 5s and it was sold out there would still be an iPhone to buy... Honestly it's smart business. It in no way means it's not selling ...

Take a look at the links ... It's the number 2 selling phone in USA I'd say it's selling well

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

My sister and brother-in-law each picked up a 5c yesterday. My sister wanted a white 16GB but all they had in that color was 32GB, so they both ended up with blue.

Which stinks because blue is the color I got.

I wanted to be the only blue in the family. Phooey. :p

Anywho, they were allowed to apply the $50 gift card offer right to the phone so they were $50 a piece. Crazy deal.

11. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

The only reason it sold we'll is because they were out of 5s everywhere. People need something new and have no patience. Apple did this purposely. It's a year old phone in a new polyc body.

12. neoelectronaut, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Like the legendary sasquatch, customers that don't need cutting edge hardware, want to save money, and maybe even like the colored body of the 5c are completely mythological.

13. lazard macrumors 65816

they're selling so well that Best Buy, Walmart, and Radio Shack decided to slash prices.

14. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

And yet it's still the 2nd best selling phone in the country right now to the iPhone 5s. So yes, it is selling well. Oh, and Best Buy has the GS4 with the same $50 GC deal going on right now as well.

15. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Again that doesn't mean it's not selling. That's all to generate foot traffic for those stores. It has nothing to do with not selling. As a matter of fact... This past Saturday at my local Best Buy stores... There were no 5c's In stock. The prices being slashed has nothing to do with Apple. It's about those company's are trying to generate more traffic. If someone buys an iPhone for $50 they are gonna tell people... People will go and look at and potentially buy.

We are talking about a phone that was #2 under the 5s. It's number 2 in sales. What do you want it to be #1?

16. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

The only thing it tells me is that the phone is in stock. That is all.

17. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

One thing I do see more often than I remember is people buying multiple (two) of these at a time. I saw a guy buy two greens at the apple store recently, another bought a white and blue, etc.

18. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

The iPhone 5C is targeted towards middle school kids, and eventually elementary kids.

Soon we are going to see little squeaky kids stunting with iPhones.

I hate this world.

19. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

No it's not and that's all ill say

20. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Been out in public lately? I've already seen preteens with iPhones. This isn't some sort of new revelation.

21. babbit macrumors member

That's funny. I was talking to one of my friends that lives in Lexington, and she said that she bought the last iPhone 5C in the whole store. Until I read your post I had assumed all along that she was just kidding.

22. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

No. I'm in college town.

23. Robster3 macrumors 68000

24. Tthomas612, Oct 7, 2013

Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Lol she wasn't kidding. I was utterly shocked honestly

----------

Lol I don't think the ratio is this... Like I said. I went to different stores this weekend and the 5C was sold out ... They were out of them. So I believe there's more 5s's in the wild then 5c's right now ... The ratio between them may surprise you ...

25. BaldiMac, Oct 7, 2013

BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Simply that Apple is producing enough to fulfill demand. Doesn't really answer the question though.

Not really an opinion, so much as an inaccurate statement of fact. :)

Probably because Best Buy and the rest would prefer you buy it from their store and not someone else. (Probably willing to lose a little on each sale because of high attachment rates for warranties and accessories.)