So the keynote made me really happy... about my 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1981d, Sep 9, 2014.

1. 1981d macrumors regular

So, I was a little concerned that something would come out at the keynote that would make me want to run out and spend $650 on an iPhone 6. But now I can breathe easy, all the leaks were right.

Ugly bands all over the phone
    Unsightly protruding "outtie" camera
    Icky rounded design
    Too thin
    16gb entry model

I think the 5s is by far more aesthetically pleasing than the new design, and it pretty much does everything the new model does. I have my iPad for tasks requiring a larger screen, so I can live with the 4 inch display. Looks like I'll check back in with Apple when the iPhone 7 comes out.

2. 997.2 macrumors regular

ok

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Good, keep your 5S. One less person to "compete" against on pre-order night. :)

4. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Bummer for you. You're missing out on the biggest feature since the App Store.

5. cathyy macrumors 6502a

The keynote made me really happy too that it was worth the long wait with my trusty old iPhone 4 and there's a new phone worth upgrading to! Glad to know we're all happy.

6. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

Well, no, I'm still going to buy 10 to sell on ebay, and hire a bunch of scalpers to stand in line on launch day.:D lol jk

7. Kendo macrumors 68000

Whatever makes you feel better about your outdated phone lol. :p

8. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Your iPhone 5s does not need any reassurance. The iPhone 6 is a great phone for many others.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am happy about my 5c, but I am also concerned, that the iPhone 7 will be as large and ****ing ugly as the 6.
    Wouldn't know what to buy then :confused:

10. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Came to say the exact same thing. Our 5s' are under 4 grams and I consider it more of a accessory in terms of looks than the 6 in every way. Just the most aesthetically pleasing phone.

Lines also bother me on the new 6, why aren't they more color matched. Looks tacky as shiet.

I'm glad that 128GB is out, but everything else is a deal breaker.

As well as all of the applications that will need to be updated in time to support both phones, look at how that worked out from 4-5. Maybe the new developer coding practices took scaling into account, but I am not aware maybe some developers can chime in. I remember almost all of my apps on the 5 with bars on top and bottom.

11. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

Love these posts that seek for reassurance now they don't have the latest and greatest :)

12. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

lol, I never thought I would hear someone complaining that an iPhone was too thin.

13. burnside macrumors 6502

For those who put a case on their phone, most of your points don't matter:

Ugly bands all over the phone - Won't see them
    Unsightly protruding "outtie" camera - Will be flush with a case
    Icky rounded design - Depends on the case you get
    Too thin - Little thicker with a case
    16gb entry model - I actually like that I can get the 64GB version for the price of what the 32GB was.

14. alexmarchuk, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

It really isn't even about that anymore. They left the users who prefer the screen size they have offered for mostly the life of the phone into two much larger models. I don't even like using the Samsung S5 as it is, and 5.5 is even bigger than the note. (Yes, I understand only the 5 and the 5s have the 4", but it wasn't a leap like this model is)

The 6 is only 25% faster than the A7, irrelevant camera upgrades, 0.02-0.03 inches smaller than the 5s (which is understandable as the internals are now spread out with more area). Front camera got a f2.4-f2.2 aperture upgrade, big whoop.

Basically, a disappointing iteration of a flagship product. Great for a new iPhone user, current? Not so much.

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm glad you like your 5S. It really is a great phone. Did you know there could be more than 1 good phone out at the same time?!:eek:

16. itjw macrumors 65816

As someone who would buy it no matter what, I actually do agree with most of what you're saying. I do like the 4" screen. If they offered it in the 6 I'd be tempted to try it first, as I really do like the idea of my phone being a PHONE and not a phablet.

Now I have to decide if the 6 is going to be too big anyway, in which case I may as well "super size" it, and start getting used to having a palm pilot again.

I think that's the biggest frustration for me. The cool thing about the iPhone is that it does everything I need in a very compact and easy to take package. I get that the new one will too to an extent, but now it's basically a PDA sized device, and if I wanted to carry around something big, I'd just grab my mini.

It'd be nice to have a smaller option with the upgrades, but it is what it is.

The 5S is now old news. I still like it, but wouldn't be caught dead with it after 9/19 =). Such are first world problems.

The latest and greatest is exactly what it says it is.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

I kind of agree. I am now not in that much of a rush to get the 6. Might wait out the 6s.

18. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

I am keeping my 5s. Nothing excited me other than the new rounded design. But ...

[​IMG]

19. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Without a doubt, eventually when applications are "compatible" in terms of usability of the new space offered on the screen then I will get it. I had too many headaches with first revisions, from the LG screen on the rMBP to numerous other iPhone defects in the past.

I know I will have to get it too, but as a first model, absolutely not and like you said it will take time getting used to, as did the small jump from the 4S to the 5 for me.

The potential for the usage of all of the new screen real estate is huge, however I do not see it in this phase, I want widgets, not more rows of icons or even landscape mode like the iPad has now and mail.

20. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I have to agree, but I'll probably be one of the few sticking with my 5 :) Scuffgate hasn't been a problem, no battery issues, and the only button problem is with the home button which I had replaced with AppleCare+.

The only thing about this keynote that made me mildly excited was the Watch, but I'm not sure how I would use it or if it's worth $350 to me. See you all in 2016!

21. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The difference this time that all the apps are full res already with no work required from devs.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

If you want a small smartphone I think the 5 series is still the best phone on the market (and no, I don't own one).

23. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Said the person who is about to purchase an iPhone 6 with massively outdated specs compared to the competition ;-)
    If the i6 really does only have 1GB of RAM then it isn't all that much better than the i5 and certainly not the 5S.

24. Dunbar macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4 felt ancient 2 years ago when I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3.

25. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

Count me in the 5S camp. I actually have a 5 that is still doing great but the upgrade to the 5S and TouchID will be awesome. The dimensions of the iphone 6 are just too big to only get a 4.7" screen. It's almost as big as the LG G3 that has a 5.5" screen. I'm sure there's a nice 5S sitting on Craigslist with my name on it. Hopefully Apple figures out how to integrate the Home button and Touch ID into the display for the Iphone 7.