So the magical experience with new Smart-phones is gone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darksithpro, Feb 15, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502

So, I got the iPhone 6S+ and the new offerings are a bit of a letdown. Since the introduction of the iPhone and the Galaxy S Smartphone the magical experience of smartphones have disappeared. The new iPhone 7 series is not exciting at all, hell all of the Android offerings are the same. Does anyone else feel this way? I'm wondering what it would take Apple, or another maker to release a new device that would really excite people, the way the first ones did? Has the smartphones peaked, to where there is no more excitement anymore? Maybe an OLED iPhone 8 with a larger screen with water proofing and wireless charging will create desire?

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

That's a fair point, and I think design has a big role in that. I would say the last iPhone to have the "magical" effect was the 4. Everything else after that has been pretty boring, even the iPhone 6, since it was just playing catch-up.

The insides of the iPhone are another story, I would say there's more innovation there. Unfortunately, many people wouldn't be able to appreciate it because they just see the outside. So, best-case scenario would be a good-looking phone with great internals.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

That had the opposite effect for me.

I skipped the 4/4s entirely because I don't care for their design. The iPhone 5 had that excitement. I still have that phone and it's still an awesome design.

4. Applejuiced, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What would you like to see that will provide you with a "magical" experience?
    You can't reinvent the wheel every 12 months.
    What would excite you?
    An oled screen, better water resistance, wireless charging?
    None of these options would excite me or I would call "magical experience".
    They are just marginal yearly updates.
    You will not get that wow what is this new different device with a touchscreen and interface that's different than everything else out there. What happened in 2007 when the original iPhone came out will not happen every year.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

iPhones, like other smartphones, are tools to be used. They are created to make our lives more convenient and in some regards, more enriching. It is when people start treating said tools as if they were a new girlfriend or boyfriend in which one was looking forward to that first 'relation.,' that the proper balance between the use of tools and the expectation of better tools is sorely skewed.

Apple is not your girlfriend or boyfriend. Stop treating the company as such, and you won't have to waste your time creating such a thread.

6. Remington Steel macrumors member

I agree to a point. I appreciate the Iphone for what it's worth. I believe the quality level is above the other competition. But truth be told, I am still waiting for upgrade features that "blow my mind". Until then, I will continue to enjoy my iPhone 7 Plus for what it is.

7. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, you figure after the OLED implementation, the wireless charging and waterproofing, what else is there? Nothing really. After that there is nothing really to look forward to, except a faster processor, faster wifi/network speeds and a better OS.

8. Remington Steel macrumors member

Maybe a faster processor. I mean, beggars can't be choosy, but we do live in a society where we always want things "faster". Like blazingly fast...which I know takes other things into consideration. I read an article somewhere about a year ago that says the technology is there, but companies such as Apple "feeds" us that technology at a certain pace as to keep us satisfied for longer periods of time.

9. C DM, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

C DM macrumors Westmere

At some point sliced bread was magical, and so was electricity, and all kinds of other things that we've been taking for granted for a long long time. Doesn't make them any less useful or even important really.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Part of the problem is too many people read into negativity saying Innovation is dead or the iPhone doesn't have it anymore. And they buy into these negative rumors. They fill their head with these ideas that iPhone should be some sort of grandiose device that has to have groundbreaking technology every single year. When in reality, phones are marginal increases every year.

The iPhone 7 physically looks exactly the same as the 6S, but they brought some really nice additions that I think makes the iPhone 7 much better phone Than the 6s. I think you'll find out that no matter how small or how large of the changes that are made from a year-to-year basis, you always find someone that's not content with the new changes.

To me, with the 7+, the stereo speakers, the larger battery and the dual camera were huge improvements over the 6S plus. Not to mention the speed. My point is, those are all improvements and features that make the iPhone better every single year. The smaller upgrades go further.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Agreed. We are seeing all the phone makers hit that tech ceiling where we are waiting on the next big thing!

Until technology advances, our phone will not either. Trust me that all the phone makers will come up with some new "gimmicks" that we all "must have" but in the end, never use.

12. joesixgig macrumors regular

joesixgig

One innovation that should be exciting is going to be foldable screens and curved flexible screens on wearables, but I struggle to thing how Apple's foldable iFlex would look.

Apple seems to be going in on all-screen zero wires, turning the iPhone into just a slab that lights up. They might wow some people if they wrap the screen all around (full front and back) and have it work identically from either side. Not especially useful maybe, but it does seem Apple to me.

13. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Yeah i also feel that way.iPhone 5 series (5S/SE) are the best looking iPhones among the current lineup

14. imanidiot Suspended

One innovation that I would welcome would be for people to stop obsessing over their smartphones and treating them like the focal point of their existence.

15. Remington Steel, Feb 16, 2017

Remington Steel macrumors member

Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen. Millennials were basically born with a cell phone in their hands. They don't know any other way.

16. stevemiller macrumors 68000

Personally, I'd actually like to go in the opposite direction.

I keep seeing the attempts to add interest and excitement to the platform, but for me it's just felt more and more clunky. I would prefer if they offered the option of a more minimalistic (and boring) experience that eschews bells and whistles to just get out of your way and let you get stuff done.

For just one of many examples, multitasking in iOS 6 was just a row of recently accessed app icons along the bottom. To me the 'slick' 3d overlapping screen previews multitasking evolved into have done little to make apps more easily identifiable (especially with the less distinctive design language of ios7+, and also when they just show as blank cards as apps get booted out of memory). The momentum scrolling IMO also made touch targets harder to hit. And as a final kicker, my 4S was able to call up old multitasking almost instantly, whereas my 3-generation newer 6 has a distinctive pause when launching the new multitasking.

Now, I'm not saying "this is what I like so everyone else must like it too." Quite the opposite. For those who are looking for neat new flourishes to bring "magic" to their experience, by all means they should keep trying stuff like this. But there are trade offs. I just wish there were more options out there for people like me who would prefer speedy minimalism. If I could continue my 4S on iOS6 experience today, I'd trade in my 6 in a heartbeat (I'd even give up touchID!). But I guess that wouldn't be a strategy that helps Apple's bottom line. :(

17. silverblack, Feb 16, 2017

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

The same reason why your TVs haven't changed much for the last few years. Yes, it has gotten lighter and thinner, marginally better picture quality. The only "innovation" lately was to curve the screen, which is completely pointless in my opinion.

A wise creator would not make changes just for the sake of making something different than what it is now. It needs to be better too...

[​IMG]

18. cube, Feb 16, 2017

cube macrumors G5

TVs did add interesting new stuff in the last years:

- bigger
    - thinner (important to get lighter as it gets bigger)
    - OLED
    - 3D
    - Smart
    - curved
    - HDR
    - quantum dot

Curved is useful when you use the TV as a monitor.

19. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Exactly. They are all tweaks in my opinion, not to deliver the "magical experience" asked by the OP.

By the way, even as a monitor, I prefer flat. I would bet a lot of money that curved screens will never become popular and eventually disappear.

20. cube macrumors G5

If you watch the same old-style content, you will see no magic I guess.

You might realize the usefulness of a curved screen when you try to use a 48" TV on your desk.

The drawback with it is that the box it comes in is thicker, and that you might break it assembling it improperly.

21. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502a

OLED, wireless charging and waterproofing would make your phone magical again? There's nothing else to be done here. It's all just extra coats of paint.

The magic is gone until a company revolutionizes a product category again. I personally believe the future is in headphones and AI assistants.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2017 ---
    That's an awful large monitor. Bigger than my living room television. No thanks.

22. cube macrumors G5

It is better than using 4x 24" monitors.

23. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

24. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

All tech is an expensive way to read about Trump. Jokes aside.

No gimmic or addition to a phone will make the content any more interesting. It's training for the latest and greatest by these companies that makes consumers ditch perfectly useable devices. Laptops for the most part got away with it till the 2 in 1's but there is not the rush to plop out insane money yearly. Not like these things aren't laptop prices anyway. It's insanely wasteful.

Sad thing is, and I go by the rules for iPhones. If you have one? Your probably fine unless it's ancient. If you don't have one you get the latest when you return. I came from 2 years on android.

The sad thing? Right, in 5 years or so my 64bit quad core iPhone 7 will still run the latest version of iOS and be perfectly useable. It will (I'm going to try not to) be disgarded for a few minor spec bumps and a design that won't make the content any more interesting.

25. tomjleeds macrumors 6502a

tomjleeds

They're mature devices, in a mature market.

Yes, the "magical" experience is gone. It's that simple. You need to wait for the next great consumer invention if that's what you're looking for.