So the speaker holes at the bottom basically kill the water-proof ness right?

tymaster50

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
New Jersey
When I had a ballistic case on my iphone 4 the speakers worked fine even when I used them in the shower as a test, but with it being more open on the 5 does that basically mean water = definite no no for music?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Incorrect. Apple appears to actually have made it mildly hydrophobic so that water does not penetrate as easy. I would still not recommend showering with your phone.

Comment

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Incorrect. Apple appears to actually have made it mildly hydrophobic so that water does not penetrate as easy. I would still not recommend showering with your phone.
But if you must, at least be a gentleman and buy it dinner first.

Comment

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
If you can't be without a phone for the 10 minutes it takes to shower, you have bigger problems than speaker holes.

Comment

tymaster50

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
New Jersey
If you can't be without a phone for the 10 minutes it takes to shower, you have bigger problems than speaker holes.
It was the only time I showered with my phone I wanted to see if the case was really waterproof or well splash proof. Reading comprehension helps

Comment

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Without more information it's impossible to answer your question. The best I can say is that the iPhone is not waterproof and I don't see that Ballistic cases are waterproof so if you want to run the shower into the speakers, probably not. If you have the speakers pointed down, maybe.

Waterproof and water resistant have standard definitions and ratings which describe the type of protection they provide. You should think about what you're really trying to protect against and not use the shower as a test.

Comment

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Heavy condensation may trigger the humidity sensor(s), but have fun with your experiment.

Comment

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
I cannot believe some of the posts on this forum.

First you post is HIGHLY misleading. You are talking about an iPhone accessory, not the iPhone itself.

Second, who cares?

Comment

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have a LifeProof case before. I put my iPhone in the tub for 2 hours playing music; it was fine.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.