So they are saying the LTE IPHONE will consume DOUBLE the data...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HeyGreggie, Sep 17, 2012.

1. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347918714.098591.jpg

LTE iPhone 5 Will Double iOS Data Consumption Says Analysts http://pulse.me/s/doeSV

Is this why they'd are trying their hardest to get rid of unlimited data? Glad I took the route I did to keep unlimited data....

2. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

LTE is only an increase of speed from the old and outdated 3G technologies.

If the way you use the phone stays the same from 3G to 4G, then your data usage stays the same. However because data can be consumed at a faster pace, people are saying that people will consume more content.

Personally I find my data will probably stay the same.

3. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I mean, it's not that the phone or LTE technology will use any more data, it's just if you have faster internet access, you're more likely to use more data (watch higher quality videos, download more over the network, view more websites in the 5 minutes you're trying to kill while waiting in line, etc.).

4. Mercennarius macrumors member

So long as your not streaming a bunch of HD movies and downloading a million songs, you should be fine. General web browsing, email checks, low res youtube videos don't eat up much data...HD video and downloading big apps/songs can.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Did peoples usage/data go up when switching from dial up to high speed back in the day?

6. Mercennarius macrumors member

For some yes, for some no. Older population didnt use much more data, younger population takes full advantage of the increased speed and consumed more data.

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes when I went from ATT hspa iphone 4s I was doing around 3 to 6 gigs a month every month.

Now on my LTE GS3 I do from 7 to 14 gigs every month.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

So what population will be using the iPhone 5 when it comes out?

9. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why people say this....

a 50MB file is still a 50MB file on 3G or LTE, it's how fast you get the data you use that's changing, not the size of the files/webpages

10. Mercennarius macrumors member

Pretty broad mix of people. But average ages are probably between 18-36. At least initially...over time the average age of the user will shift up.

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

So it's probably safe to say iPhone users will take advantage of their increased speed and consume more data.

12. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Because some streaming video providers (YouTube, Netflix) alter the quality of the video you are streaming based on your connection speed.

Better quality = bigger file.

13. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Probably, but not due to technology, due to usage patterns.

If it takes 2 minutes to load a youtube video at low quality I am less likely to watch it than if it takes 5 seconds at HD quality. Meaning that I just used more data.

14. bszelda macrumors newbie

Adding LTE to a phone is like upgrading your internet connection speed. You don't download more. You just download things faster. If you download the same movie on different networks, the movie's total size will be the same but the time in which the download completes may be faster or slower. :)

15. armyxrays macrumors member

Uh... yeah it did. Were you streaming Netflix movies on dial up? Watching YouTube videos?

Of course it went up. It's not that a 50mb piece of data on the internet is going to suddenly become 200mb. It's just, you can consume that 50mb much faster, and then move on for 50 more. At least that is the thought process.

You didn't stream movies over dial up because you couldn't. Now that you can, you do. Same concept.

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I use my iPad a whole lot more for web browsing then my iPhone. And when I switched from 3G to LTE iPads my data consumption didn't go up one bit.

It's rediculous to say LTE will make users consume more. Although its faster, its not like it encourages u to download more. I was never discouraged from downloading anything over 3G cause it was too slow. and LTE just gets it done a bit quicker.

17. CIA macrumors 6502a

Don't worry.... A sizable chunk of us future IP5 users don't even have LTE around us, so our data use will stay the same.

18. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Exactly my point. Thank you.

19. txflyfish macrumors member

When I switched from iPad 2 3G to new iPad LTE I ran out of my monthly plan in less than 6 days. Did I use my new iPad differently? No same usage patterns. What happens is that all these media sites and apps recognize the faster network and start feeding you everything high def.

The logic behind consuming more media is not the main factor. Yea you stream faster but do you watch the movie or listen to the same song faster? A 3 min song is still 3 minutes long whether your listening on LTE or 3G. Now if you download and move on that's another story...but in most case that is not the reason for the additional consumption

I just want my LTE to stream regular definition media FAST, instead I got high definition FAST all the time. Couple sessions of YouTube and spotify will eat thru the 5gb very very fast

20. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Be grateful that LTE coverage is rather sparse, then?

21. txflyfish macrumors member

No LTE is good when you can control it/afford it. If you need it fast or you're just browsing just flip it on otherwise remain on 3G if you stream media

22. nws0291 macrumors 6502

I've been on LTE for a few months and my data has not increased much at all. I was around 2Gb a month and now just slightly over 2Gb. I am still on unlimited LTE though through ATT.

23. thekb macrumors 6502a

Perhaps there are a few people that do not change their usage patterns when internet is faster, but they are definitely not the norm.

If it takes me 5 minutes to buffer a 2 minute youtube video on 3G, I abandon it and move on to something less data intensive. If it now streams flawlessly, I will watch that movie and a lot more.

PLUS, the other posters are right that Netflix and Youtube stream data at a much higher bitrate when it determines that you are on a faster connection. So yes, unequivocally, for the vast majority of users, faster internet = more data consumed.

My data usage went through the roof when I went from dialup to broadband. Just think of Napster alone! :D

24. tcoche macrumors member

I figured this would happen to me. Thats why I am glad my wifes ip4 is eligible for upgrade discount. She has 2gb data and I have unlimited data. I upgraded her line with ip5 and we are going to swap phones, she is going to take my ip4s and I get the ip5. So I get to keep my unlimited data! :)

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

My mileage commute isn't greater if I drive a faster car...