So this battery issue seems to be a current complaint huh?? Is mine a lemon??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edge171, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Edge171 macrumors member

3 hours and 11 min of usage...some heavy texting this am, listened to music, and checked the app store.....im at 60%....took my phone off the charger at 730am..it is now 3:42 pm....

do you think my battery is defective??? am i going nuts?? ive researched all the battery threads,,done all the "fixes"

2. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

1 day 1 hour of standby, 1 hour 20 mins of usage...62% battery remaining. A little weak for the price we pay.

3. Edge171 thread starter macrumors member

I mean this improved battery is where??? My 2 co-worker, they have been using theirs as well and are into the 55% range....what is going on??

4. dyelton macrumors newbie

Agreed. I didn't have a 3G but did have the original iPhone up until last Friday. The battery life on the new 3GS seems to be equal to that of my two year old original iPhone which still has the original battery in it. Of course I've gained 3G, GPS, etc., but I too thought the battery was supposed to be amazing in this new model.

I have wifi search turned off and no bluetooth enabled.

5. Schweez macrumors newbie

I would say mine is much more of a lemon then yours, and heres why....

Pulled it off the charger at 7AM this morning. Sent 1 text, 1 phone call for about 5 minutes, and browsed internet for maybe 20 minutes. Push, 3G, Bluetooth are all off. Screen just under half bright. This puts me at 8 hours idle, with about 45 minutes of that being active at THE MOST.

My battery is currently at 42%. UGH.

6. Que macrumors 6502

read the other threads. i've read them and they answer your questions as best as non-apple employees can.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

I don't know...call me crazy, but that really doesn't sound bad to me. 8 hours later with over 3 hours of actual usage (you said heavy texting, implying that the screen would be on), and you are still at 60%? That seems fine to me.

I would be interested in what sort of battery life people actually expect in a device like this?

8. Edge171 thread starter macrumors member

due to the amout of complaints, this is looking more like a software issue, no??

just checked with my dad,,,hes at 31%

9. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I have 2 hours and 13 minutes of usage, 21 hours of standby and I'm at 47%

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Sounds pretty typical for a smartphone. if it's used much at all during day don't expect to get more than a days use before it needs charging.

11. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

I'm sure everything is fine guys..... It's probably because it's a new toy and you're playing with it more than average.:)

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The battery is likely to get better after a few cycles.

13. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

So wait...
    You mean, it's been 26 and a half hours since you charged your phone... and it has 62% of the battery left... Meaning at your current usage rate, your phone will last you 69 hours and 45 minutes, or just shy of three days... and you're complaining about the battery life?

This is hilarious.

14. Schweez macrumors newbie

Agreed. I would have no problem with a days use, but by the time I get out of work my battery is going to be at 30%.

Hopefully a restore will fix this, but im starting to think my battery is a lemon.

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Just to clarify, I'm at 1 hour 20 minutes of usage, 7 hours 15 minutes of standby, and 71% battery right now.
    That's all with Wi-Fi, 3G, and location services always on. Auto-brightness, and two email accounts set to push. I've played a couple games of Tap Tap and Solitaire, checked Twitter and golf scores, made a couple calls, and done a bit of texting.

I am perfectly content with this level of battery life. If you have similar statistics and are dissatisfied, it's likely a personal problem. If your statistics are much worse, than you likely have a battery defect.

16. Edge171 thread starter macrumors member

so at 3hrs and 26 min of somewhat moderate usage, a 59% level isnt bad in your eyes?? Just trying to get some opinions...

oh and 9 hrs and 4 min of stand by.....

17. wr1020 macrumors regular

I have 1 hour and 36 minutes of usage and 16 hours and 41 minutes of standyb and i'm at 67%. Not bad at all. My screen brightness is set past half.

18. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

12 hours off the charger, and you are above 50%. Seems fine. I expect to have to charge my iPhone every day, its a smartphone after all. My Motorola Q9h lasted ~24hrs on its standard battery, 36hrs on the bulky extended. Its a smartphone. Standby doesn't mean idle, its still checking for email possibly, etc.

19. Schweez macrumors newbie

That's pretty much on par with what you should expect. That's better than I got out of my 2g iphone, and I used that thing all the time.

20. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

my battery is horrible its at 85% and its 4:22. i took it off charge around 1 with barely any useage. i dont think the battery is bad i think the percentage and the battery bar thing isn't accurate. because when my phone says 20%, it lasts forever

21. brh12 macrumors newbie

I agree. I was a little concerned on the first 2 days but I had my iPhone in use a lot. Strayed away a little on Sunday and the battery life lasted much longer.

22. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I pretty much agree with this.
    As long as you can get through the day, it doesn't matter if I have 80% left or 5% left when I go to bed, it's still going to go on the charger before I go to bed and be at 100% again when I wake up.

23. shanew21 macrumors regular

My battery is awful as well. I took a 3 minute video then published it to youtube right after I took it off the charger. Afterwards, my battery was at 88%!

It went down 12% in like 7 minutes!

24. Schweez macrumors newbie

How long do you think I give it before going into the Apple Store?

I read about the restore to fix battery issues, but is this mainly for the older 3g phones?

My 1st gen was such a workhorse that this is really upsetting. My battery has lasted almost 2 years, and even last week it took a lot for me to drain it in one day.

25. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

seems like some people are getting dramatically better results than others. That would be a major problem for apple if they had to replace such a huge ammount of phones..

i think 3.0.1 will fix battery problems.

or maybe its a certain hings that are effecting it. like maybe mobile me on push is killing battery? or push notifications have an effect i have noticed but battery is still poor with them turned off i have found today.