So this is a thing? Make soldier's pay into G.I. Bill?

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/gi-bill-benefits-new-fees-future-enlistees-house-lawmakers

WASHINGTON — A congressional proposal to make service members buy into their Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits surprised veterans groups on Tuesday, with advocates divided over whether it amounts to a long-term fix for the benefit or an unfair bill for veterans.

“This new tax on troops is absurd,” said Veterans of Foreign Wars National Commander Brian Duffy in a statement. “Ensuring veterans are able to successfully transition back to civilian life after military service is a cost of war, and not a fee that Congress can just pass along to our troops.

“Congress must stop nickeling and diming America’s service members and veterans.”

The plan — draft legislation from House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Phil Roe, R-Tenn. — would deduct $2,400 from future service members’ paychecks to establish eligibility for revamped post-military education benefits. This was first reported Tuesday by Task & Purpose.

:mad:

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
I didn't read the link, but wasn't there a "buy up" option with the Montgomery GI bill?

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
You have old GI Bill and you have Post 9/11 GI Bill. You paid for the old GI Bill as well. It's been a long time so I don't remember what the cost was other than it was a lot less than you would receive in benefits. Old GI paid for tuition and books. Post 9/11 ran from the same funds as old GI Bill, but pays tuition, books and BAH(housing allowance based on zip code). It's not sustainable the way it's currently being funded and run. $2400 sounds like a lot, but two things to think about. 1. It's not a lump sum payment it's paid over the course of your contract, so min. of 2 years. 2. The pay out is far great than you pay in.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I remember paying into the GI Bill during my first year [or two] of active duty. I don't think this is anything new.

This was almost 17 years ago, though. I'd have to find my old LESes to see what my paycheck did.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Post 9/11 version (which we automatically were enrolled in if we had started before it was implemented) could also be transferred to dependent family members, which was great if the service member wasn't planning to pursue post-secondary education after EASing (like myself) but needs help to defray the costs of college for the spouse and kids (true for many vets because active duty pay wasn't ever that great anyway).

Reactions: DrewDaHilp1

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
(reading the story now)

So, wait a minute...

The Post 9/11 GI Bill didn't require a buy-in like I did for my Montgomery GI Bill (which I guess you'd call "Pre 9/11")?

I vaguely remember this now. I think we weren't too upset about not having our original buy-in refunded because we knew that the program needed the money -- and, in some way, we got it back through using the Post 9/11 benefits.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
OK so this is nothing new other than a potential headline for someone to say "Trump and the republicans are making vets pay for college now", when they've been contributing forever. They will still receive 1000X's more than they ever pay in.
Yes.

Old GI Bill
Pay-In $1200+$600 for Kicker
Pay-Out Over the 36-month life of the MGIB-SR/Kicker combo, it can pay anywhere from $15,732 (at $100 per month), to $24,732(at $350 per month).

And never mind that if the Veteran chooses not to use it, that the benefit is transferable to a dependent.
[doublepost=1492701830][/doublepost]
(reading the story now)

So, wait a minute...

The Post 9/11 GI Bill didn't require a buy-in like I did for my Montgomery GI Bill (which I guess you'd call "Pre 9/11")?

I vaguely remember this now. I think we weren't too upset about not having our original buy-in refunded because we knew that the program needed the money -- and, in some way, we got it back through using the Post 9/11 benefits.
To my understanding the Post 9/11 still doesn't require a buy in. That's what this article is about adding a buy-in.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
They will still receive 1000X's more than they ever pay in.
Oh, definitely.

But remember, what vets receive also comes from vets like me who haven't -- and might not ever -- use the full benefits even though we've already bought-in.

I've got 36 months of benefits available to me. That's not "three years of college", but 36 months' worth -- if I go to college for just Fall and Spring semesters, that's about 9 months a year, which equates to 4 years anyway.

To get them all, I would need to use them before 15 years passes, or my eligibility lapses and the funds set aside for me go into the general fund.

If, however, I just use two years (or 18 months) and just get a Master's, and I don't pursue anything higher, my remaining benefits go into the general GI Bill fund after the 15-year mark.

I've got another ten years to decide whether to go back to school. If I keep doing well, I might not bother. And if my unused benefits can help a younger veteran, I'm glad to help.
[doublepost=1492702197][/doublepost]
To my understanding the Post 9/11 still doesn't require a buy in. That's what this article is about adding a buy-in.
If a buy-in can help the program survive, I'm all for it. I don't remember how I would've spent that extra thousand bucks during my first enlistment, but believe me, I'm glad I have the option of getting school paid for now.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Oh, definitely.

But remember, what vets receive also comes from vets like me who haven't -- and might not ever -- use the full benefits even though we've already bought-in.

I've got 36 months of benefits available to me. That's not "three years of college", but 36 months' worth -- if I go to college for just Fall and Spring semesters, that's about 9 months a year, which equates to 4 years anyway.

To get them all, I would need to use them before 15 years passes, or my eligibility lapses and the funds set aside for me go into the general fund.

If, however, I just use two years (or 18 months) and just get a Master's, and I don't pursue anything higher, my remaining benefits go into the general GI Bill fund after the 15-year mark.

I've got another ten years to decide whether to go back to school. If I keep doing well, I might not bother. And if my unused benefits can help a younger veteran, I'm glad to help.
[doublepost=1492702197][/doublepost]
If a buy-in can help the program survive, I'm all for it. I don't remember how I would've spent that extra thousand bucks during my first enlistment, but believe me, I'm glad I have the option of getting school paid for now.
If you were like me and my guys, beer, smokes, dip, whatever stupid item of the pay period was.:D

Reactions: Eraserhead

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Is this part of the trillion dollars Rumsfeld announced the military couldn’t account for the day before 9/11?

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
You have old GI Bill and you have Post 9/11 GI Bill. You paid for the old GI Bill as well. It's been a long time so I don't remember what the cost was other than it was a lot less than you would receive in benefits. Old GI paid for tuition and books. Post 9/11 ran from the same funds as old GI Bill, but pays tuition, books and BAH(housing allowance based on zip code). It's not sustainable the way it's currently being funded and run. $2400 sounds like a lot, but two things to think about. 1. It's not a lump sum payment it's paid over the course of your contract, so min. of 2 years. 2. The pay out is far great than you pay in.
Yep...extra words so not to break the no one word rule post.

Reactions: webbuzz

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
20-something years ago, I clearly remember signing the forms in boot camp that would authorize a $100 deduction every month for my first year of enlistment.

After I got out of the Navy, I used my GI Bill (I think the payment was around $1000/mo at the time) to go back to school, and finish up my BS in engineering.

If I had to make the decision again now, I'd be ecstatic to only pay $1200 for that benefit, and even more so to pay $2400 for a substantially better benefit.

Non story.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
20-something years ago, I clearly remember signing the forms in boot camp ...
I was wondering how you remembered any details about boot camp. I just remember kneeling one one knee and filling out a stack of papers weighing half a pound while yelling "AYE SIR" over and over. Then I got a haircut and a bag of underwear. After that, my memory got even foggier.

Then you wrote:
After I got out of the Navy, ...

Ah, that's why. ;)

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
I was wondering how you remembered any details about boot camp. I just remember kneeling one one knee and filling out a stack of papers weighing half a pound while yelling "AYE SIR" over and over. Then I got a haircut and a bag of underwear. After that, my memory got even foggier.

Then you wrote:

Ah, that's why. ;)
I remember the roaches in the DFAC, how I hated KP, and the time I high fived the Drills knife hands. Everything else about basic and AIT is a blur.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I remember the roaches in the DFAC, how I hated KP, and the time I high fived the Drills knife hands. Everything else about basic and AIT is a blur.
Ballsy. I would've ended up being thrown out of the fourth floor window if I tried that -- and our squadbays only had three floors.

Reactions: DrewDaHilp1

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/gi-bill-benefits-new-fees-future-enlistees-house-lawmakers

WASHINGTON — A congressional proposal to make service members buy into their Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits surprised veterans groups on Tuesday, with advocates divided over whether it amounts to a long-term fix for the benefit or an unfair bill for veterans.

“This new tax on troops is absurd,” said Veterans of Foreign Wars National Commander Brian Duffy in a statement. “Ensuring veterans are able to successfully transition back to civilian life after military service is a cost of war, and not a fee that Congress can just pass along to our troops.

“Congress must stop nickeling and diming America’s service members and veterans.”

The plan — draft legislation from House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Phil Roe, R-Tenn. — would deduct $2,400 from future service members’ paychecks to establish eligibility for revamped post-military education benefits. This was first reported Tuesday by Task & Purpose.

:mad:
When I went in I paid $100 a month for my first full year to get $10k for school. That was in 1989, so what's the big deal? I think my benefit was 24 month and I got 6 more months from the ANG tacked on.

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
When I was in I already had graduated from college so I wasn't eligible for the GI Bill! They instead offered me the LRP, if I signed up for at least 4 years in and I took it on the 26Y then after 2 years they re-classed my MOS!

Kids in the Barracks couldn't understand when by the age of 27 I was running through the barracks shouting out that at that point I was dept free! My brother had finally sold my house and I just received the confirmation that all my Student Loans were paid off! I even made a profit on the sale of my first house!

I look at it as this was the first time the Government actually lived up to it's promises. ;)

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
So it is an optional program to down pay education when you are discharged?
Considering the cost of tuition today, $2400 is cheap compared to the $60,000(?) 4 years of collage cost.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
So it is an optional program to down pay education when you are discharged?
Considering the cost of tuition today, $2400 is cheap compared to the $60,000(?) 4 years of collage cost.
Basically. I don't believe it would cover 100% of 60k in tuition though. There are limits, at least there were with the old GI Bill. I know when I joined it was completely optional, now I am not sure.