So this is a thing now? Armed militias on the border, detaining?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JayMysterio, Apr 20, 2019.

1. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

At what point do we admit when :mad: has gone too far?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/us/new-mexico-militia.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

ALBUQUERQUE — A right-wing militia group operating in southern New Mexico has begun stopping groups of migrant families and detaining them at gunpoint before handing them over to Border Patrol agents, raising tension over the tactics of armed vigilantes along the border between the United States and Mexico.

Members of the group, which calls itself the United Constitutional Patriots, filmed several of their actions in recent days, including the detention this week of a group of about 200 migrants who had recently crossed the border near Sunland Park, N.M., with the intention of seeking asylum. They uploaded videos to social media of exhausted looking migrant families, blinking in the darkness in the glare of what appeared to be the militia’s spotlights.

Professed militias have long operated along the border with attempts to curb the flow of undocumented migrants into the United States. But targeting the recent influx of families, who are legally allowed to request asylum and often quickly surrender to Border Patrol agents, is raising tension with human rights activists in this part of the West.

:apple::apple::apple:

The American Civil Liberties Union denounced the militia’s actions in a letter on Thursday that asked New Mexico’s governor and attorney general to investigate the group. The A.C.L.U. said the militia had no legal authority under New Mexico or federal law to detain or arrest migrants in the United States.

“We cannot allow racist and armed vigilantes to kidnap and detain people seeking asylum,” two lawyers for the A.C.L.U., María Martínez Sánchez and Kirsten Greer Love, said in the letter.

In a statement, Hector Balderas, New Mexico’s attorney general, said: “These individuals should not attempt to exercise authority reserved for law enforcement.”

2. raqball macrumors 68000

Nothing new as it's been going on for a while.. There is a documentary movie from about 4 years ago on the practice. I believe its called Cartel Land........

I personally don't have an issue with it as long as they are just detaining them until Law Enforcement arrives. If they are abusing them, that's a different story...

'Citizen Arrests' so to speak and I see this as no different from that...

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. jerwin macrumors 68020

The problem is that although I am perfectly willing to accept that the second amendment is "like the first, but for the inarticulate", the laws against making threats have a chilling effect on this medium of discourse.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that was a funny red herring.
    [​IMG]

6. jerwin macrumors 68020

See-- punctuate it with bullets, and the lib tard audience won't even have the breath to dispute your tenuous grasp of the facts.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

what kind of bullets? I only have .45 and 5.56 along with some 12ga.. sold my .308 long ago and never really liked 9mm.
    anyways, the militia in post 1 seemed to have a minimal arsenal.

8. jerwin macrumors 68020

This shows off the (elitist) 1st amendment mindset

How to Ruthlessly Eviscerate Your Enemies with Wit and Charm

Now, think back to your arsenal, and chose a weapon that will best achieve those ends.

For reference:

Screen Shot 209.png

Obviously, you'll need more than just an arsenal. You'll also need to master the art of not giving a ****.
    Screen Shot 210.png

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Wow, that is a heaping helping of hashed up incorrect for one small morsel of text.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

nice trap guys, perhaps another day :D
    back on topic. watch video posted, plenty of open areas that do need attention.

11. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

One of the obvious issues though is that some of these individuals dress up as border patrol & are going out armed. There's a pretty good chance if you're going out to play dress up & pretend, you know you aren't doing something right. On top of that, the claim that "If these people follow our verbal commands..."

Who the unarmed :mad: isn't going to follow the commands of a group of individuals who set upon you armed, barking commands?

Really? o_O

Some people need to find a hobby.

I know you know the obvious B.S. in that, that is intentionally being left out of that romantic fable.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

BP is armed, BP has not asked them to stand down, did you watch the video on the link I posted? plenty of wide open areas.

13. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Which isn't what anything I was referring to at all.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you seemingly asked a question.
    the answer was already in the quote from your own post
    apologies for pointing out the answer to the question you asked ........ did you watch video yet?

15. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

I don't think it's such a bad thing, as long as they turn them over to the law enforcement. I'd rather the border-crossers be forced to go through the legal system than slip by undetected and undocumented.

16. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

If that was answering a question I asked.

My question is still who or what unarmed individual isn't going to follow the commands of an armed group of individuals, some who may dress up as Border Patrol themselves.

The answer to that of course, is NO ONE!

Whether Border Patrol has asked the armed guys on a play date to stand down, has zero to do with what I was referencing.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Good for them
    , I would hate if if anyone got shot

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

If this militia group is detaining people that have trespassed onto private property that is owned by a member, or the group has the permission of the land owner, they are within right.

However, if the militia group is, itself, trespassing or detaining people on public lands, the police should arrest the militia group.

19. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Thank you.

Now let's combine those two last concepts to help hammer a point home.

+

= Unauthorized armed individuals detaining immigrants on public land, but let's hope no one gets shot.

Yup, sounds like two sides with a common respect for the law. How could that be wrong? o_O

20. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

From what I remember, militia groups like the Minutemen, normally have the permission of the land owners. Making things quasi-legal.

It's hard for the police to tell land owner they can't use force of arms to detain trespassers for arrest.

21. jerwin macrumors 68020

In a fascist society, loyalty to the sovereign is valued over loyalty to the law.

22. JayMysterio thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

That would be the issue though, we have no idea if they are doing this on public or private lands. Also judging by their reactions to the ACLU's statements, they possibly don't care if it's public or private.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/04/united-constitutional-patriots/
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2019 ---
    Or it's actually pretty much considered to be selective. Everyone has to obey the law, 'but if 'we' feel it's important we have to break it to do what we got to do'. Or some such rationalization.

23. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

This case just highlights how broken our immigration laws and system are.

We have worked hard to unsure the the USA is a land of hope and opportunity for anyone that is willing to work for it. We should be overjoyed that people want to come here, and more than that we should be welcoming.

We need to revamp our laws, we need to make a legal way for people to turn up at an official point of entry, declare their reason and intent, be documented, be given housing and an address, food, water and clothing, access to medical care, and schooling for their children, and legal representation.

Basically build small towns, not detention camps, and allow for a judge in an open court to hear each case for citizenship.

Moreover, able-bodied adult immigrants should be issues pass to work in the US while they await their case for citizenship to be heard.

It's important to understand these people are not criminals and would be afforded freedom of movement, but would be required to keep DHS apprised of any change of address, so it would be known where they could reasonably be expected to be found for their citizenship hearing.

We also need to secure our boarders, and launch a public information campaign to make sure that potential immigrants understand they can not be afforded these protections if they enter the nation at any point other than a legally proscribe port/point of entry.

Also, if they can not be found to appear for their immigration hearing/s, when they are found they will be deported, unless they can prove to a reasonable standard why they were unable to attend.

What I am preposing would cost a great deal of money, to build towns, and provide for immigrants, but if we can spend $700 billion on our military, I'm sure we can find some money, somewhere.

These are the least of Jesus's people, and how we treat them is how we will be judged.