So..This is the meaning of being an early adopter?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jinsou, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Jinsou macrumors regular

Jinsou

I've read a lot of threads here about flaws people have on their new alu macbooks, just last night i discovered the battery cover is loose, and it has like a little mark in one end, my function keys are slanted, for some reason three lights showed up last night when i had my lights off next to the "Macbook" in the bottom of the screen....Seriously what's going on with Apple's quality control.... Sure the Unibody is indeed Perfect, but what about the other parts?

2. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Apple has never really had good quality control. My MBP had a loose power button and the "chrome" on the latch release started to rub off pretty quickly. My current MB has the top case cracking.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't forget people don't come in [normally] to praise their fully functional devices.

It's like going to the Genius bar and asking "Why is my product flawless? I want a replacement."

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Exactly. And people here warn other people about this constantly, yet very few people listen.

6. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

It comes with the territory and isn't limited to just Apple. You'd really have to be quite naive or inexperienced not to expect some sort of hiccups being an early adopter. Look at how cars get revised with small fixes, software gets bug fixed, hardware gets patched. Even stuff like microwaves, fridges, you name it... the later revisions are almost always more stable.

7. wagonofdoom macrumors newbie

these laptops arent really early adapter qualified.

Its not a new technology per say, its just a new case with slightly better internals.

its nothing revolutionary, or anything. Its just a new model. If you buy a new car, are you an early adopter?

early adopters are like peopel that bought the G1 or iphone the first day it came out. totally unproven platforms.

8. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I'm a late adopter, I got the early 2008 MacBook, I got the last shipment of them that my electronics store got, so I have no flaws in my MacBook whatsoever.

9. applestew macrumors member

My Week 43 Macbook 2.4GHz has none of those, works like a charm, no dead pixels, no slanted keys, no loose battery cover.... perhaps I am lucky but like someone said, it works I don't go around posting that it works.... hmmm so these boards are filled with complains? Just change the unit.

10. yoavcs macrumors regular

I'm considering a lawsuit against Apple.

You see, I bought a new MacBook fully expecting an epiphany and a Perfect(tm) machine.

Amazingly, my function keys are slanted and I have a small nick on the LCD lid.

This really ruins my enjoyment and has started to have adverse effects on my life and health.

I can't even lay my head down on the keyboard and caress my Perfect(tm) MacBook since seeing those slanted keys up close really makes me feel ill.

I am currently in therapy but I don't know if it will help me overcome these issues.

I have replaced 17 units at the Apple Store but all had at least one slanted key, and one even had a dead pixel.

Enough with this farce Apple! I demand a Perfect(tm) machine when I pay money!

I don't care if it actually works, I need it as a centerpiece of my living room furniture and if the lid has a scratch I can't have it there. It completely upsets my OCD, and my therapist is alarmed at my regression.

PS: If you actually took this message seriously you need professional help. And if slanted function keys keep you up at night you need medication, lots of it and fast.

11. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I bought a Core Duo iMac, within an hour of the keynote....which was Apple's first official forray into intel based computers. This definitely makes me an early adopter. Let me say, to this day, my Core Duo iMac still works flawlessly. I have had no issues of any kind, cosmetically or operationally, and I still use it heavily.

I also have a first gen. iPod Touch and have had no issues of any kind with it.

*knock on virtual wood for both*

12. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Perhaps Apple's track record of rev A products is better a bit better now?

13. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

Every company has product issues. I've been very fortunate to never have a "bad" Apple computer. When my wife and I were dating, she had just purchased a Dell laptop, and two days later, her screen died (the ribbon cable in the hinge was loose). My mom has an HP that's lasted for six years (with a couple of cpu upgrades). She bought an HP laptop, and it died on her within a week (both the HDD and Motherboard were bad). My father in law bought a Gateway (I've always known them as the worst option in quality) and it's run like a champ. A buddy of mine bought an ipod and a macbook last year, and both have died on him.

I've owned a 3G iPod, a 1G iPod Touch, an iPod Nano, a MacBook, MacBook Pro, and an iMac. I haven't ever had one die on me (the MacBook's HDD died after a couple of years, but everything else worked fine). They've all been replaced for "bigger, better, newer" reasons.

Hardware issues are not exclusive territory for Apple.

14. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Totally agree with you.

My experience with my Apple purchases have all been very positive. I came to this forum at first to research my potential purchases. I did give some weight to the issues I read about bit I realized that this is a forum people come to looking for help with problems so it will always highlight the potential problems. These didn't deter me from my purchases and I haven't been sorry yet.

15. Molopo macrumors regular

Thank. You.

16. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Sure they are

the logic boards have been completely redisidgned and the thermal aspects of building a new case design are nothing to be underestimated

Yes you would be and people in the auto industry (which I spent many years in) will tell you never buy a first year model revision

I would argue these are new platforms... they just have the same processor architecture

17. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

:p

yes the whine of someone who bought a computer for fashion purposes... it has to be perfect

18. skorpien macrumors 68020

One of the best posts I've read by far. Thank you for that :D

I'm an "early adopter" too, but I did so fully expecting there to be flaws in this revision of the MacBooks. But I also didn't care. I know for a fact that if any of the flaws that may develop were serious enough, Apple's customer service is usually excellent to deal with (I also bought AppleCare just in case). I'm glad I haven't had any of these issues being discussed in these forums, but if I do I know it's because I was too impatient to wait for a second revision. Just the way it goes I suppose.

And for those that are complaining that Apple's QC is crap, think of it this way. If they were to make sure EVERY LITTLE THING was perfect in their computers before releasing them, how much longer would we have to wait for them TO BE released? In a way, we ARE the guinea pigs. At least Apple take care of their customers after their purchase, unlike a lot of computer companies I've dealt with before. And they DO make revisions to their products to fix these issues that arise. I'm sorry, but to me this QC argument is getting old.

19. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Thank god you didn't get a loose battery cover!

Clearly you should've upgraded to the Pro, that's the Perfect(tm) machine :D

20. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

Wow, get over it. If you want the joy and excitement of being one of the first you will have to put up with the issues that come with it. My MacBook is flawless and I know I am lucky for that cause I took a chance and bought the first of the new. Chance you take, now enjoy your MacBook:D

21. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

i've read so much about this battery cover thing that when i got my macbook i never opened the battery cover .... ive read soo many plp saying its after they opened it their battery cover got loose... when im ready to put more ram ill open ..but right now it stays closes :) and its solid right now :)

22. danimal99 macrumors regular

They darn well should make sure all the pieces were designed perfectly. Why would you cut them some slack on that? If they fix problems in future revisions, that's not necessarily going to help you personally.

To you, sure. You're not having problems with yours. But when someone spends the kind of money required to buy a piece of Apple hardware, you have every right to expect it to work and work right. Having to ship something off to get fixed soon after a purchase, that maybe you rely on and cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars is just not some trivial thing.

23. danvan21 macrumors regular

how did you discover it Just last night? Did you take it off then put it in wrong?

24. Sum 2 Three macrumors newbie

Slightly off topic, but my 2 cents.

Today, I ordered a MB via the internet. This will be my second Apple computer... in fact, I am replacing my old MB.

The quality of my old MB was everything that I could have hoped for and more. I paid a lot of money, and I expect a quality product. If my product is flawed, I'll exchange it for a new one.

I don't think this is so crazy... I just want to get what I paid for... and I paid for a quality computer.

25. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Early adopters often suffer in this regard but there's never been a new release (either rev a, b, c, etc.) without problems...there's always something especially on the hardware front in terms of defects.