So THIS is where the vehicle armor went

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Check out this car that Ford is showing at the Detroit Auto Show: the SynUS:

Are they kidding? Personally, I think this is in very poor taste, considering it's targeted at "urban life". Seems like the kind of car Strom Thurmond would've driven through Harlem.

Apparently automotive wags have already started pronouncing the name "the Sinus".

I don't know...what do you think?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
To me it looks like an bank/valuable transport truck, like used to move cash and gold, and often seen in the Diamond District of New York City. It's a pretty good sales move on the part of ford - it's something that plays to the xenophobic, paranoid tendencies of Americans today. :rolleyes:

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
It would seem that the concept they were going for with this 'conceptual' design was 'idiocy on wheels'. Way to go Ford - make the American auto industry proud :(

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Introducing the all new Ford Brinks. For everyone who wanted an amored vehicle but couldn't get one.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hmmm. SynUS. Sin-us. Sinna's ("sinners"). Can't wait for rap song mentioning "winna's", "sinna's", etc.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
It looks as though they are try to improve on this;

By making theirs look gangsta.

Nissan are re-engineering the Cube for the US market.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The Sinus is a bad idea from a dying company that hasn't had a good Ideas since the first mustang. If they do produce it, hopefully it will be the death kneel of Ford and we can get those poorly built cars, Trucks, and SUVs off the road. Not to mention Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Aston Marton, Jaguar, and VOLVO. (Not a single reliable brand.)

That being said, I do own a Ford, and never will again, and my information about how poor they are comes from my extensive network of friends who work there, but will NEVER buy any of their products.

Long Live General Motors.

TEG

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Its a concept and will most likely not go anywhere. I do like the idea of the big screen in the back on the tailgate :D

But there were now mirrors on the thing (side view mirrors). I'm wondering if its all cameras?

D

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Success will come down to marketing . . .

Maybe Ford can create some sort of retro-mob appeal for this beast? Personally, I would never buy it . . . but what do I know . . .

Attachments

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Thomas Veil said:
Holy crap.

Have they considered renaming it the Toaster Oven?
They could be subtle and call it the Rubiks.

I looked at a Scion xB this time around, incredibly versatile little vehicles, but they are hot right now, a used one was going for more than a new one is supposed to.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
TEG said:
The Sinus is a bad idea from a dying company that hasn't had a good Ideas since the first mustang. If they do produce it, hopefully it will be the death kneel of Ford and we can get those poorly built cars, Trucks, and SUVs off the road. Not to mention Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Aston Marton, Jaguar, and VOLVO. (Not a single reliable brand.)

That being said, I do own a Ford, and never will again, and my information about how poor they are comes from my extensive network of friends who work there, but will NEVER buy any of their products.

Long Live General Motors.

TEG
Don't knock Astons. At least they can go round corners :D

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
WOW THAT IS UGLY

1) Looks like Armoured Truck
2) Looks like a matchbox car
3) it a ford
4) looks like it will have excellent visibility [sarcasm]