So this is why Samsung was happy to give Apple the Retina for the new iPad.......

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DanteMann, Mar 15, 2012.

1. DanteMann macrumors 6502

It seems Sammy was saving their best stuff for themselves. 32nm tech, Cortex A-15, and a craaaaaazy 2560x1600 res screen; WOW, just WOW!!! Can't wait to see Windows 8 on this bad boy. TAKE MY MONEY NOW SAMSUNG!!!! No seriously, take it already!!!

2. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Too bad it's not out yet, has no release date, and is unproven in terms of performance.

3. f1restarter macrumors regular

If you're into specs and don't mind the cheap Samsung build quality but most importantly don't mind that Samsung will take it's sweet time to upgrade to latest android OS build IF they even decide to, then yes it's a good deal. I have had a taste of Samsuck coming from a Galaxy S phone and have had enough of the way they treat their customers with one broken promise after another. Once you buy their latest and greatest, chances are you will be stuck with that OS build for a long time. Goodluck!

4. GarryBacon macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Samsung are ****. In terms of customer service and there OS updates. The only thing they are good for is parts for Apple. Although even then someone tells the world about what Apple plan do do next. Just to sum up Samsung are ****!

5. G77 macrumors regular

So? They demoed current iPads display some 2 years ago. Still no Samsung tablet using it. There is a big difference between a tech demo and be able to make and sell milions in tablets...

6. tann macrumors 68000

The screens PPI is still lower than the iPads.

Though it sounds like the next big competitor tablet if it comes out.

I'll still always love my iPad though :apple:

7. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Are you serious? Samsung does not design Apples processors. They make manufacture them but Apple has 1000 people in house who work on the A processors. The screen is 11.6" which means the ppi is just under the iPad. Also these are not finished products. I think Samsung can make great products but your statement is laughable at best.

I guess iPad haters are waiting in dark alleys and flyout when they see a higher spec. Lol

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

is this an attempt to "samsung" the iPad launch? Doesn't matter, don't want and android or window 8 tablet.

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

It'll be nice to see some real competition for the iPad, for once. That said, I'd love to see what kind of battery life that thing gets. I wonder if they'll measure it in minutes, rather than hours ... ? ;)

10. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I think samsung are quite good. I like their designs and they make pretty sturdy tech. I just don't like Android.

12. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Same could have been said of the new iPad a month ago.

13. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

That screen size is the only way Sammy could achieve that resolution.

Windows 8 is the big fail there. Ya, let's make everything square. That's great.

Oh and also, I would love to see someone try to hold that monster.

Way to be elegant Microsoft.

14. Mo1959 macrumors member

I have been using a Samsung 7" Tab that I got in as new condition from Ebay whilst waiting for the iPad 3 to be released.

I like to think I am open minded about equipment and have actually enjoyed using it. Nice clear screen. Responds quickly. Reasonable amount of apps. Decent camera with flash.

However, I really prefer a larger screen and since I already have an iMac, iPhone and iPod Touch I have several apps that I can utilise so it makes sense to go with the iPad. It will be my first one so really looking forward to it now.

15. homeboy macrumors 6502

Yeah. 11.6 is quite a significant bump in screen size over the already large iPad.

16. MonkeySee...., Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

17. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

My theory is that by continuing to supply Apple with parts, Samsung remains privy to what Apple is up to next, as well as clues on how to manufacture their latest products.

At least now they should know how to manufacture retina displays and incorporate them into tablets while mitigating the drawbacks. :p

18. Ccrew, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

Ccrew macrumors 68020

True that.

From a benchmark standpoint with graphics excluded, the iPad 2 and the new iPad are dead even. Literally between 3 points of each other. You're buying the device for the screen and/or LTE. Or because you're a fanboy and have to have the latest device :p . Screen was very good, only minor unevenness in the backlighting on the unit we have. Unit gets noticeably hot in the lower left corner after using a bit. Assumption is it's the LTE transceiver.

Battery takes forever to charge. Expect to charge overnight.

We've had one here playing with it this week, and I have to admit the screen is stunning - pretty much rivals gloss print media. That visual is nice, but frankly as the owner of an iPad 2 I haven't seen anything to make me dump mine and jump through hoops to get the new one. We got 63mb down and 21mb up on Verizon's LTE network which frankly was faster than my home Comcast connection, but in my case I don't live where there's LTE, and most of the places that I travel don't have it either. @ work I have N wireless.

Oh, and before you call BS, I'm the lead engineer for a major media company, we do get these devices about a week before launch although we're NDA'ed out the ass on publishing concise info prior to release. We ignore that and it's the last one we'l ever see.

Now, I just want to know what all the web hits are on our website coming from IOS6 devices on a 17.x.x Apple block out of Cupertino and what that's going to mean to us all :)

19. DomarackiA macrumors member

Windows 8 ... Tablet?!! Oh the company that is failing the smart phone market with their failed Metro UI. *sigh* :rolleyes:

20. homeboy macrumors 6502

That's what people are doing anyways, charging their gadgets over night.

As for the iPad 3 not making the iPad 2 pale, wait for the new iPad 3 tailored apps to arrive. It's all about the apps and once developers begin to roll out apps that take advantage of that glorious screen and beefed up GPU, the differences will shine brighter.

21. salmacis3 macrumors newbie

My theory is that by continuing to supply Apple with parts, Samsung makes a ****-load of money.

22. d0vr macrumors 6502a

This is why Apple should find a new supplier, a company with no interest in making phones. But I would agree that the money would give Samsung enough reason alone.

23. psonice macrumors 6502a

They're showing this today to steal some of apple's launch thunder - lots of people will see this and be stupid enough to hold off thinking a better device will be out in a few weeks. Samsung competes with apple, this is what competitors in business do.

Realistically: It's not going to be out for months, it's not going to have an A15 processor, and it's likely to be very expensive.

The A15 is very likely a engineering sample. Apple could very likely have showed us an A15 powered iPad 3 last week too - but they couldn't have built it in volume, so they've given us something that's not as new but is at least practical. Expect A15 devices later in the year, not now.

The screen? Great, if you don't mind a larger device (for some it's brilliant, for others it's too big). It's going to be very expensive for samsung though. Apple can build a retina-class tablet at a low price, because they've probably ordered 50 million of them. How many of these are samsung going to sell? 1 million? They have much lower economies of scale, and it's a larger screen with more pixels which means it's more expensive to manufacture.

So there's no way this device is going to be $500. $700+ most likely. And likely much lower specs than they're showing there, or many, many months of waiting before it's available.

24. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'd like Apple to push forward with LG. I like them as a company and they already use them so they may as well ditch Samsung.

25. homeboy macrumors 6502

Not happening. People buy what they see and the iPad 3 is what they can see and buy this week.