So today will be my first day at a gym, please help me with my newb fear

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XciteMe, Sep 16, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

Hey guys I just signed up for 24 Hour Fitness.

Today I'm going.

Now this may sound STUPID and SILLY but I'm kinda shy/nervous about hitting the weights there.

You see I only know how to do bench press and that's about it. Everything else I don't know the correct form/procedure.

So I'm afraid when I go there and start experimenting with the different machines I'll SCREAM noob. I'll just look a fool, I think.

Any tips to just get over that fear? Should I maybe ask a stranger to help me out? Or will I learn as I go???

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

It would be safer on yourself and others if you got a trainer, if only to learn how to use the equipment. You could seriously injure yourself if you don't know what you are doing.

Plus after you have the basics down, you wont be such a noob!

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you are a new member, then perhaps one of the staff can take you around and show you how the equipment works.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you're going to start going often, it's probably worth your money to take a few lessons from the trainers at the gym. Otherwise you'll end up hurting yourself using the equipment wrong. It'd probably be worth spending the extra money to ensure you're doing it right.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Your gym membership should have come with a free training session. Ask the front desk on your first day for a trainer to walk around the gym and show you how to use the equipment. If you can afford it, buy a few weeks of personal training to get used to working out. And by all means, make friends. Start slow, maybe just use a treadmill and look for familiar faces, find someone who goes to the gym at the same time as you and ask if they can advice you and work out together. People who are really into working out love to help newbies, they get to show off how much they know, how fit they are, etc. And don't quit!!! Good luck.

6. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Just hit the treadmill or elliptical for some cardio to get into the feel. And don't be afraid to ask questions. Preferably someone cute of your preferred gender.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah, but don't go overboard. People are there to work out, not get hit on.

8. Statik macrumors member

Lots of exercise magazines out there that will show you the right form. Grab one and read it while you're on the treadmill and then try out the exercises.

Just make sure you don't go heavy right away. Start light until you are comfortable with your form. Too many people try to jump into a new exercise using heavy weights and hurt themselves. Don't worry about being teased for going light. Everybody has been there.

If you are not comfortable enough with the free weights, or have trouble with your form, go with the machines. They encourage good form and are safer (Especially if you don't have a workout partner)

Also, I'd really recommend finding a system to track your workouts & goals so you can flip back and see your progress over time. Pen & paper works best for me, but there are nice iOS apps out there too.

9. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Make sure you don't grunt real loud.

Gym newbie tips
    ^Best tip here: Relax. Everyone goes through it.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

The machines will have instructions of them.

If you have an iOS device, check out iFitness. It has instructions for free weight exercises + virtually every machine, and you can use it to put together a balanced routine, and then track how much weight you used on each machine.

I bought that app with my original iPhone (back in 2007) and they're still giving free updates to it.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Do NOT take the learn-as-you-go approach. That is a recipe for injury. Find someone who works at the gym or a trainer to show you what to do.

Don't be nervous, everyone who's ever done it had a first day at the gym.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Best advice right here.

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

24 hour gym right? Go at 2 AM and wear a Richard Nixon mask. Anonymity guaranteed.

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Unless... the OP is Richard Nixon. Back from the dead.

15. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

+1

The gym don't want you to get hurt, so the staff will be more than ready to show you what to do. Usually you can go on an induction where you get shown around and can try all of the equipment with the instructor there to help.

16. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Most people at the gym are absorbed in their own thing and really don't care much about you. The only people that bug me are those that are very vocal when lifting or those that sweat profusely.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The machines themselves are a bit self-explanatory, since there's usually only 1 or 2 degrees of freedom on each. Just be sure not to lift a weight that's too heavy on your first day.

I'd still get someone to show you around. I'd be surprised if this service wasn't included in your fees. Do you think they want to deal with someone who got hurt because they didn't get the necessary guidance? It would ruin their rep and get them in trouble. They'd be glad to help. ;)

18. bearbear macrumors regular

As a beginner, stick to compound lifts for best results and plan out your routine. Avoid the machines as much as possible. Most people are willing to help out newbies so just ask...and lastly, no one is going to care what you're doing as they're busy focusing on their own routine.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't know where these other posters are working out but in the gym that I went to for a whole three months (do better then me! don't quit!), the regulars loved helping the newbies. A lot of the guys, probably between jobs, were at the gym a lot! They had no problem offering advice, help and just enjoyed talking about sports, working out, girls (of course) between sets.

20. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

If there is one thing I've noticed at most gyms its people stick to themselves or the other person they are with. So don't worry about what others will think.

As its your first day, I wouldn't plan on to much actual "working out" walk around, look at the machines, watch others (but not to much as so many people work out wrong)

You didn't mention what you hope to gain by going? Are you trying to loose weight, gain muscle or improve your overall fitness? That will dictate what you need to focus on while you are there. Going without a plan is a sure way to get bored and have an unproductive workout.

First thing first. Find yourself a corner and spend a good 5-10 minutes stretching. I'm amazed how people walk in on a cold morning and just jump on the treadmill or start throwing weight around.

If you're going to weight train, spend 5 minutes or so on the elliptical or treadmill to warm your body up and get the blood flowing and heart rate up.

Start with machines. They have simple instructions how to use them, usually with pictures if you're not into reading. Lift light the first day, get used to the motion. There is less risk of injury and looking like a "newb" then throwing around free weights.

I know asking for help is probably the last thing you want to do, but it doesn't hurt. If you're not going to ask, spend some time online looking and reading about different styles of training. Ultimately you will have to decide what works for you.

Two last things. 1) Don't forget to breathe. 2) Stick with it..

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nothing in a gym is self-explanatory. Many people don't know not to drop their weights between reps. This is one of the most common mistakes I see people make. That alone is terrible for you and can cause injury.

Absolutely- do NOT try to learn everything by yourself.

22. Statik macrumors member

You might also want to look into courses. My gym offers several "learn to be fit" courses for different skill levels. Good way to learn plus you may just meet a workout partner to help you keep motivated.

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

honestly, i cant speak for all gyms, but the people at my gym (where i work) dont judge anyone, nobody looks at you. just mind your business and do your thing. as a matter of fact, we even make people sign a "no douche bag contract" when they sign up. also, as others have said you should work with a trainer at least once.

24. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Not sure if i'm allowed to post other websites, but you must check out BBforums, everything you need to know about lifting over there.

25. JsR macrumors regular

I strongly recommend you get an app on your iPhone/iPod Touch called "iFitness."

It is one of the best apps I've come across. It really helps with workouts. It lets you select what you want to do: build muscle, trim down - it also designs work outs for specific areas, such as a better swing in golf.

As well as that, it also tells you what weights to do, how long for - and it shows you pictures and videos of how to do it.

It's a really good app. If you don't have an iPhone/iPod Touch...I'm sorry for waisting your time haha :D