So... Valentine's Day is coming. Ideas for romantic things to do in long-distance?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Feb 7, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

So anyone here looking forward to Valentine's? ...Yeah, me neither.

But alas, I still would like to do something for my girlfriend. We're in a long-distance relationship. So I'm looking for ideas for something to do for her for Valentine's. Keep the costs down, mind (no $50 flowers, etc).

2. 119576 Guest

Send her a valentine using the SuperPoke application on Facebook.

Welcome to the new generation of romantics.

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

This reminds me how much it stinks that my girlfriend is having her wisdom teeth taken out on the 14th. Pooh. :(

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

5. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

How's your iPhoto library? Using pictures of yourself, her, both of you, and/or some random pics downloaded off wherever, send her a different iCard every hour.

Cost is $0, assuming you have .Mac, though there are presumably 30 other ways to send photo cards. But it will take some effort picking pictures and writing things to go with them. On the plus side... chicks eat that stuff up. :D Thinking up a dozen cute cards just for her is nicer than any trinket.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Beautiful...just the right words she wants to hear.

Bless

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

8. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Make something by hand and send it to her. It can be a drawing, a painting, heck even a collage, it doesn't matter. Nor does it matter if you're a good artist. Women like to know that you were thinking of them and that you put in a lot of resources into the gift you give them, be it time, effort, money, or whatever.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

10. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

You should make a big batch of Jell-O bring over some flowers and a movie and just have a nice quite evening with her

11. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

Burn her a disk with her favorite songs...

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*cringe* To some extent it matters. :p That's why I think a collage would be choice #1. Collages are so underrated, I really don't know why!

Collages are:
    • More time consuming than most seem to realize.
    • Require a wealth of primary sources to pull from.
    • Require aesthetics in putting it together.
    • Require thoughtfulness in deciding why to include one thing and not another.
    • Look nice when completed.
    • Would be cheaper to ship than a painting. ;)

Money is hollow. But knowing someone but in thought? Effort? Time? You betcha that matters! And seriously, why say that "women" like it? Is it so far-fetched to think men would appreciate those as well?

Or how about, if you've been together awhile now-- burning a CD w/ songs that are relevant to your relationship? :) Songs that have special meaning to the two of you and/or songs that remind you of her.

13. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

My grandma died on the 14th of February. I hate having to do this every year.

If she doesn't know I love her by now, then we have no chance.

14. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I once made my (now ex) girlfriend an advent calendar by sewing together 25 fabric pockets and stringing them on a long ribbon. I then embroidered the numbers 1 to 25 on them. Finally, I filled the pockets with gourmet chocolates.

She very much appreciated it but it took forever. I lost about 3 weekends making that damned thing! My next girlfriend is getting something much easier to put together.

15. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

A collage, hmm. I might do that.

It'd probably have to be a hand-made one doesn't it? Can't just do one in Photoshop and print it out? ;)

And my printer only prints black-and-white. You wouldn't mind getting a black-and-white collage, devilot?

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*clears throat*

Go with what it really means. ;) Get some magazines, or print out pictures, cut carefully, arrange carefully, and put 'em together-- yes, carefully. :D

17. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Not sure how old you are but if she is in the working realm and has a personal work phone with voice mail call early early in the morning (or late on the 13th) and leave a nice message. Nothing steamy or anything in case she is a speaker phone freak.

Get a plane ticket and go visit her or drive depending on the distance.

Depending on what city she lives in you might be able to send her a singing telegram type thing. It generally has to be a pretty big city though.

Make a video for her to watch and either put it on some personal web space or make it a private video on video.google.com. If this is one of those high school to college romances and you live nearer the high school, see if you can get anybody and everybody she might be missing on video too. Parents, siblings, friends, old co-workers... if they aren't close by they may be able to e-mail you a short video to add to a video... dare I say... collage? :p

Usually around this time of year if you go to a Hallmark type store they sell books that are around 5 or 10 dollars with loads of ideas of what to do.

18. Keebler macrumors 68030

during the summer months, I would write a nice message on a piece of paper, complete with tiny drawings and then cut it up like a puzzle and mail it to her.

the pieces weren't tiny enough to be annoying, but enough to peak her interest.

seemed to work...she had 2 of my kids ;)

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

OP said he's got < $50. Most flights are more than that I'd think. :eek:

:eek: That is so sweet. :eek: I dig jigsaw puzzles and that's pretty damned original, too. *swoon*

20. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

He just said no $50 flowers... not that he has less than $50... :p

But yeah I guess plane tickets are pricey. For a gal I used to date I surprised her by bringing all of her best friends to her place... drove a few of them and flew one of them since she was about 5 states away...

le sigh... one day I'll get back in the dating arena... one day... maybe.

21. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, got one of those close to me. Is mailing chocolate okay or a bad idea?

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Probably wiser to have the company ship it directly-- chocolate doesn't do well by having its temperature changed so much. The manufacturer probably knows best how to keep it at the ideal point.

23. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

yeah, but that's a bit boring... I mean everybody does that. I wish I can insert something in the box, maybe a small "fake" collage and a note or something.

24. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

I'm tellin ya... the iCards thing has worked wonders for me.

I've always found Hallmark etc. cards to be so fake-y. "Here, I payed a couple bucks for someone else's mass-manufactured sentiment... just for you!"

But sending your own iCards takes thought. And after all, that is what counts, right? :D