so Verzion & Sprint iPhone 4S are FACTORY UNLOCKED and AT&T iphones are not ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ansabakhan, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

this doesn't make scenes ....

you can buy a GSM unlocked iPhone with commitment from Sprint for $199-$399 but there is not way to buy unlocked iPhone if you are with AT&T and your only option is to buy it commitment fee for $699-$849 ???

if this is the case ... is it possible AT&T might loosen up on unlocking there iphones too ?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You missed the story on the front page where Sprint refuted the claim that they will be selling their phones sim unlocked. Instead, they will force you to purchase an expensive international plan which you can use.

When last I heard, the jury is still out on the Verizon iPhone 4S. The rumor is that they will unlock it after 60 days but that may not pan out either.

I doubt that Apple would bother selling factory unlocked, contract free iPhones if 2 out of 3 carriers would unlock it anyway.

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i am sure Verizon phones would be locked initially ,but as we have seen in past with GSM capable blackberries Verizon would unlock those over for you easily.

also its a know fact that its AT&T not apple who force iphones not to be unlocked in USA, as many official iphone carrier in other parts of the world unlock iphones without problem ... so i am guessing for international travels it might benefit to go with Verizon

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If Verizon will indeed unlock your iPhone after 60 days and you are a frequent international traveler then its definitely the best option to go with them.

As for me, I like AT&T's faster network (since the Verizon iPhone doesn't have LTE) when I'm in the U.S. In the future I might consider the factory unlocked version unless AT&T decides to start to unlock iPhones--which I doubt.

5. trouble747 macrumors 6502

6. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

AT&T isn't LTE either ....

Apple will start selling unlocked iphone 4s in November

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression. However, the AT&T version will have HSPA+ which isn't LTE but much faster than the 3G on the current iPhone 4 and even Verizon's iPhone 4S.