So VZW decided against throttling while ATT decides to THROTTLE USERS! Good times ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cali4ever, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I guess Unlimited daoes not say they can't cut your speed down.

I can't blame them as it leave bandwidth for the rest of us that just need normal bandwidth. These high data users need to find a WiFi.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I fall into this category...

"The move should actually be beneficial for most AT&T customers looking for stable performance and will only affect those who use much more data than the average customer according to the report."

So it doesn't bother me at all

3. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

I've started to change some of the ways I use my phone in preparation for this. I figured the ride would come to an end at some point. For example, I'll cache my slacker stations or load media files locally on dropbox rather than stream them over 3G.

4. Centient macrumors 6502

Only a matter of time before VZ does this as well. Though their network seems better able to handle the traffic than Ma Bell is so maybe they can continue going the more profitable route (more use = more money).

Still, I want to know what constitutes a "heavy user". We know that average data use is going up and will no doubt continue to do so. So is AT&T talking about a % of the top users or are they looking at a strict GB per month.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

What sucks is that devices are going to require MORE and MORE data as time goes on, with features such as OTA updates, wireless syncing, higher quality movies, photos, music, apps, ect. At the same time, datage pricing isn't getting cheaper it's becoming pricier with more restrictions.

I have a feeling Apple is going to start leveraging the carriers against one another to deliver a quality user-end experience.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup. While logically it makes sense, the people who complain about this the most are those who are using a ridiculous amount of data, which adversely affects me anyway.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Instead of throttling I prefer capping with overage charges along with frequent warnings. This is almost the same as throttling as people will slow down when they see the warnings, but it allows some manual control over the issue on your end.

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

+1

So you're telling me that "on the nations fastest network", I'm going to be slowed down if I require consuming lots of data, even if I'm going to give your company a stupid amount of cash :rolleyes:

9. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It would be nice to have them upgrade towers and backhaul with all the loot we are giving them. I live south of DC and get horribly spotty connection (along my train route) and not HSPA speeds.

The question folks should be asking is, is this a Material Change? If so ETF-free out!

10. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

You can either get throttled (to EDGE speeds) or you can get charged $$ for going over.

I would rather my carrier slow me down than take money out of my wallet.

Thats just me, though. Rich people might not mind the latter

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

12. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I'm SO glad someone else read this as well!
    I have NO love for AT&T, but if you think that Verizon is any less money grubbing or any more likely to GIVE consumers anything more than what is minimally what the market warrants, you are dreaming.

13. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Are you sure? Taken from Verizon's site:

"Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an
    extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and
    immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand.
    Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless
    network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren't negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users."

https://ecache.vzw.com/imageFiles/Myacct/nda/images/docs/VerizonWirelessServiceInformation.pdf

14. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'm sure the OP won't let facts get in the way of his argument.

And in political humor: Aren't the top 5% supposed to pay for everyone else anyway??

15. Zalatorisaurus macrumors member

Zalatorisaurus

Even if Verizon implements throttling, I won't be affected much. I'm near wifi most of the time I'm using Internet and when I'm using 3G, I'm not using it for long, like streaming Netflix or something like that Verizon has been good to me throughout my years using their service and I don't see myself changing providers any time soon. The only thing I regret with Verizon is buying three of those android phones, but that was my fault lol. Patiently waiting for the iPhone 5 now.

16. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Verizon does not throttle. They changed their TOS to give them the option to throttle if they want to sometime in the future, but they do not throttle at this point. Verizon is on record saying their network infrastructure does not even support data throttling at this point. That's not to say they won't start tomorrow, but they do not do it today.

17. Cali4ever thread starter macrumors member

18. ap3604, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

ap3604 macrumors 68000

The verizon guy said he's going to combat high data users with overage charges. He means that people in the future who sign up for the 2gb tiered data are going to get hit with overage charges instead of throttling when they go over their allowance (which gives them better profits)

That still means that people with unlimited data on Verizon ARE going to be throttled since there is no way to give them overage charges and it's the only way to keep them from "abusing" the network...

So the answer is still YES Verizon will definitely throttle people w/ unlimited data.

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

1. You don't have to use caps

2. Here is another link saying they would..

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379296,00.asp

So you're saying Verizon never changes their story? :rolleyes:

This makes the most sense.

20. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The only problem I have is that they didn't specify how much "the top 5%" use. I generally use between 4-5gb a month, and while this may be more than the average user, I'm using like 10-20 gb as others have reported, Nore do I have my iPhone jail broken to tether or something. And I don't know if that means I'm in the top 5% or not. Also, are people with capped plans included when determining the top 5% or just people with unlimited? I hate that they were so vague about this.

21. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Give them time, they just cut off unlimited plans. Didn't they say they weren't going to do that shortly before getting the iPhone? I guess they kept it just long enough to say that they didn't cut it because of the iPhone.

22. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I wish new at&t users would have the option to get unlimited with throttling rather than overage charges. I only get edge where I live anyways so to me it doesn't matter. Still perfectly useful for streaming music etc.

23. Cali4ever thread starter macrumors member

Verizon does not throttle. They changed their TOS to give them the option to throttle if they want to sometime in the future, but they do not throttle at this point. Verizon is on record saying their network infrastructure does not even support data throttling at this point. Give it a rest now!

24. Cali4ever thread starter macrumors member