So wait were already at 10.5.7 and its going to be years before 11?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by groovdudeyo, May 28, 2009.

1. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. 10.6 is the next operating system due out sometime this year (Q4).

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. almost30boohoo1 macrumors newbie

"me says" OSX 10.11

"nerdling says" OMG NO WAY ITZ CAN ONLY GO TO 10.9 THEN HAS TO GOES TO OS11

5. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Me says it is just a "name" Dispite that fact that it is really just a number. They can "name" it anything you want.

My logical thinking would be that it would go to 11 after 10.9 though. Guess we will just have to wait years to find out though.

Does the X in OS X have to do with 10? I always thought it did...:confused: If it does, would we see OS XI? Hmmm... Things to ponder!:rolleyes:

6. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Will there ever by an OS XI? Who knows? Who cares? Unless there is another complete redesign of the OS I don't think there will be an OS XI. I personally see OS X going for a long long time...10.6...10.7...10.11...10.20 if need be. As long as the OS advances with the times who really cares what they call it anyway. ;)

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes...

Hence why it's pronounced OS 10 and not OS Ex.

Roman numerals, X is 10.

In response to the OP. It's not maths. Apple can go to 10.9 10.10 10.11 etc.

8. Zagreus macrumors member

Zagreus

That's true that they could keep the 10.5.x and keep going forever but I heard that Leopard was supposed to be OS XI, I never had that confirmed though, showing that Apple probably are thinking about OS XI right now, because it would be ok to keep using 10.5 but in the end there are only so many times you can upgrade something before you have to knock it down and start from scratch. But it's anyone's guess when that might be

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

10. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I think they'll go to XI when they are going to use a new engine. I believe that OS X was extra new because it based on BSD for it's main thing. And that's what it's still based on. So when they use another core piece of software, then they'll probably switch to another number.

11. jackerin macrumors 6502a

That is a phenomenally long sentence that contains many weird statements.

Apple calls OS 10.5... 10.5. If that is not a confirmation that it is not XI then I don't know what. Of course Apple are thinking about what will come after the "X"-line, just as MS are thinking about what will come after Windows 7.

Re: upgrading, MS have stuck to similar OS "cores" for quite long stretches. The Windows NT line started way back in '93 according to Wikipedia, spawning Windows 2000, XP, Vista and now Windows 7.

12. bkap16 macrumors member

OS X was a complete rewrite of the operating system. It has more in common internally with NextSTEP than with OS 9. Apple probably won't increase the major version number until they do another huge rewrite.

13. macfreak12 macrumors newbie

Who cares what they call it!!??

Seriously people....WHO cares what they call it....they could call it YOYO for all I care....as long as it keeps advancing and it keeps beating the S**T out of anything related to Microsoft...I think all of us Mac Geeks will be happy and will continue upgrading our systems!:D:apple:

I heard Snow Leopard is due out in a week or two....?? any one know for sure??

14. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I guess we could consult Steve Jobs. In his 2005 WWDC keynote, Jobs said that OS X "has set Apple up for the next 20 years."

15. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

It will not be out that soon. A "feature complete" version of Snow Leopard is supposed to be shown at WWDC in June. The official release won't be for at least a couple months after that.