So, we have an iPod Touch XL, but 4 year old technology in the flagship laptop!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MoTo77, Jan 27, 2010.

1. MoTo77 macrumors member

Rah rah for the iPod Touch XL... but the MacBook Pro 17" seriously needs an update. I can't believe that the flagship laptop is languishing with a 2.8 Ghz Core2Duo! This is just souped up four year old technology. The MacBook Pro offerings are just not compelling. I had someone ask me just last week: "Why should I get a 13" MacBook Pro instead of a MacBook?" And I had to say, "Don't waste the money, there is NO reason to buy the Pro unless you prefer the metal housing."

2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

You can't believe that it takes apple a bit more than a month to present laptops with processors that were just out a couple of weeks ago?

As for the four year old technology, it's the same technology that powered every high end mobile workstation until the end of 2009. Suddenly it's gotten too old...

I think the intel era has spoiled some of you.

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

No offence but stupid comment. Apple like all other OEM would have access to Arrandale engineering samples as soon as Intel could provide them (which would have been around November). Apple had sufficient time to have new MBPs ready.

4. phrint macrumors 6502

We all know that Apple does things on their own time frame. As long as people keep buying the current tech then they have no reason to update. One thing is for sure - if Apple dicks around with Arrandale they could lose quite a bit of market share to the competition. People will start to notice the new chips while the MBP's still have an outdated Core 2 Duo chipset. Not good.

5. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Well, some of us wouldn't be using Macs if there wasn't an Intel era to be in. My bff just got a new Sony Vaio today. It's superior in every way to the top of the line MBP except for the case and the fact that it doesn't run OSX. It's got one of those new i5 2.93GHz chips and an nvidia GT330 GPU.

All this and it cost less than the bottom of the line plastic Macbook. The whole reason I got a MBP in the first place was because it out-spec'ed every PC laptop out there and the unibody case was like nothing else on the market. I'm sure that Apple's refresh is only a month or so away and when it does happen, they'll take their rightful place at the top of the food chain. However, until that happens, the PC laptops of the world have taken the lead (in terms of CPU and GPU options).

That being said, I love my MBP and I wouldn't trade it for my friend's Viao, in spite of the specs.

John

6. MoTo77 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for saving me the time of pointing that out...

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Patience, young Skywalker. Today was ALL about the iPad. No way were they going to dilute the message with laptop upgrades. Probably will upgrade just after the hoopla of the first iPads shipping.

8. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I agree with the OP. I hope this stupid touchtoy doesn't divert Apple's attention from people who use Apple's products to do real stuff -- instead of waste time surfing TMZ on the iPhad.

They best get working on OS X revamp, Mac Pro and Macbook Pro updates. Where are the SSDs? High-density DVD drives? Top-end chips and GPUs?

The iPad is annoying me, I hope it fails and Jobs cancels the whole thing.

9. Macdicted macrumors regular

I seriously doubt they wait 60 days to update the MBP's :rolleyes:

10. ronjon10 macrumors regular

Eh, people won't go to TMZ with the pad, TMZ runs a lot of flash videos :p

11. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Maybe if you complain more it will.

12. copykris Suspended

copykris

oh OH! let me guess; LIKE YOU?

ahahahah

13. wschutz macrumors 6502

Do you really need any of the latest features included in these new technologies?

I seriously think some people have a problem when it comes to buying technology. If you cannot buy the latest gadget/technology because your favourite manufacturer hasn't released it, suddenly everything becomes black.

Why is it so difficult to think about your real needs (in terms of specifications) rather than your need to say that you have the latest to your friends?

14. DaWooster macrumors member

While a valid point, it is missing the time attribute. Yes, the current pro serves my needs, pft, my 2006 iMac serves my needs quite nicely in terms of specs. But if by waiting 2 weeks I can get a better machine then if I bought it now, then that is getting the best value for my dollar, not speciffically specification lock in.

But I do see where you are comming from. My professor bought his wife a quad core iMac... for web browsing and email. Talk about over kill.

15. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Better off buying the latest if it's just around the corner.

16. Cali3350 macrumors regular

The issue is the graphics chipset. A 9600M is horribly outdated at this point and many people do require a better card, either for gaming needs or app development utilizing DXCompute/OpenCL/Spire.

A 25% CPU bump is nice but not groundbreaking. Its all about the GPU.

17. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

i don't think Apple will update MBPs in couple of moths unfortunately. Because if they update something it has to be on the main page of apple.com. it is the ipad now and 60 days later when ipad starts to ship it still needs to be on the front page. because people who doesn't track Apple like we do will see iPad's on the street or friends, wonder and go to Apple.com. If Apple updates MBP it has to be on the main page and i don't think they would want to abate iPad and put MBP in.

I really hope they will update by July because i really will need a laptop for university by July.:):)

emir

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

amen sister! lol
    I need a mac to run final cut pro... I'm stuck on macs..my employer demands the work to be done in FCP..and frankly who even wants to learn Avid and that stupid red arrow thing :p

19. spooky69 macrumors member

Priceless.:D

20. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

so you're saying that apple never updated a variety of products on their site at the same time?:rolleyes:

21. gri macrumors 6502a

gri

Thats what, late March, so we are talking early April than. Thats 8 weeks away, pretty long time in computer development...

22. gri macrumors 6502a

gri

They can still put them on the front page but under the big iPod touch thingy. I think I saw that before happening.

23. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

A new MacBook would be nice to me, but I've been putting my real needs in front of my wants. I have a mid 2007 MacBook Pro, and it can outperform my friends 2009 dell with a new processor. While it would be nice to have more then 2GB of ram, and it takes about an hour to render videos, this computer is working fine, and even better then a brand new dell with better specs

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Maybe people who need a GAMING notebook should get a GAMING notebook instead of trying to kick and scream about apple not stuffing the latest quad sli super gpu into the machine. Apple doesn't pander to the gaming market. They still have Call of Duty and QUAKE (sigh) as their latest offerings on the graphics section.

For instance: this starship enterprise..I mean Alienware M17x looks...nice...I bet you could even hackintosh it.
    [​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I wish Apple put more horsepower into their notebooks but I'm not going to be disappointed when (not if) their next refresh has a less than top of the line GPU. It's unrealistic to think so after all these years of x600 level cards.

25. archre macrumors member

archre

Absolutely agreeing with you. People who want to game should either buy a desktop computer or a gaming console. If it really has to be mobile gaming, they should by an Alienware laptop.
    I'd like to have an i5 MBP without any dedicated graphics card, saves both - money and battery power.