So what about those who CAN'T use Safari on iDevice for Jailbreak?!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by atrac7, Aug 1, 2010.

1. atrac7 macrumors regular

So from what I understand, the new Jailbreak for OS4 is a BROWSER based process done from Safari IN the iphone or ipod touch.

My problem is: I bought a 3gs with 4.0 on it. This means I can't really do anything on my iPhone besides "make emergency calls". All I have is "slide to unlock", which takes me then to the emergency pad. I cannot go further into the phone to actually access the home page (i.e being able to view youtube app, google app, mail app, etc). Obvioulsy when I connect to iTunes, i get the usual "this sim is not compatible with iPhone, please insert bla bla bla".

This means I obviously can't get into the Safari in the iPhone, which appears to be the main access point to get to the jailbreakme.com site.

Will the DEV Team/Comex be doing anything in the future to allow for the usual jailbreak process? (Where you DL redsnow, quickpwn, etc), connect phone to itunes, restore, install new ispw, jailbreak, unlock)

My primary goal/Cliffnotes: Jailbreak+ Unlock a 3gs with 4.0 that is LOCKED to the "emergency call only" menu--is this POSSIBLE? This means I cannot use Safari to access the jailbreaking website.

Thanks everyone for the help and I appreciate all feedback. I am sure there are others in this boat who would like to know if anything can be done.

2. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

The new jailbreak is a userland jailbreak. It's an exploit in iOS and not any of the hardware. This means you need an already activated phone. This jailbreak cannot hacktivate a phone.

3. atrac7 thread starter macrumors regular

Ouch...so I am SOL on this for the time being?

Or can I still "hactivate" this 3gs on 4.0 in another way and THEN proceed to jailbreak?

Bummer...I got very excited today when I saw the slew of news over the web about the jailbreak finally being out.

4. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Get a PhoneBook Sim to to activate the phone, then you'll be able to use safari.

5. The General macrumors 601

yeah, or get one of those phonebook sims or whatever to activate your iphone

6. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

When you say bought do you mean it had a previous owner? If it did try using TinyUmbrella to see if it has SHSH blobs for previous firmwares on the off chance they jailbroke it previously.

7. atrac7 thread starter macrumors regular

It did, but I am afraid it was not jailbroken previously.

Anyone know where I can purchase this PhoneBook SIM? Seems like I can't really find a vendor online to get this from.

Also, is it theoretically possible for me to borrow an activated sim card from a friend who has a 3gs (so he has ATT, he has a normal iphone 3gs, with his normal carrier card) and insert into my phone to temporarily "activate" the phone? And then from there I can access safari + jailbreakme.com? Or are the carrier sims TIED to a specific phone only (I.E. will only work on his phone). I just want to be able to get to the home page so I could click settings, click on WiFi, and access safari to DL the jailbreak.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Borrow your friends SIM to activate the phone no problem. Then JB and UL and you are good to go.

9. atrac7 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome news--will try to pull this off tomorrow.

Any advice on the process of doing this? Can I just turn off the 3gs, pop in the sim, and it will allow me to access the home page? Or do I have to connect to iTunes, install SIM and then proceed?

10. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You don't even need to turn off the phone before you pop the sim in and but you will need to connect to itunes.