So what am I ? Politically speaking that is..

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iapplelove, Oct 13, 2017.

1. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I actually very much respect the political opinions from you guys, some very smart posts here.

I’m curious, if an individual thinks people on the left are out of their minds, yet don’t stand with conservatives either, what are they?

I know I call out liberals in some of my posts, but I feel very strongly the media has most brain washed. It’s a powerful weapon.

Yet at the same time, I do not have a conservative bone in my body. So I’m a bit confused.

What woukd you call someone who’s stuck in the middle? Someone who’s just sick of all the back and forth bickering and wants to see a more unified outcome?

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Just be you. No need for a party or a label.
    My only suggestion: read history, read law, and do community work somehow.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I agree and disagree with both sides pretty much 50/50. I don't look at any issue through an ideological lens. I'm not brainwashed into believe the tripe either party wants you to believe. I'd pretty much be hated by both parties if I were ever to run for office.

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Honestly, if you're first inclination which is what you've shown with the comment "people on the left are out of their minds" you've got quite the collection of conservative bones. You're just playing at being objective pretending not to have bias, while all the while labelling anyone who doesn't agree with your views. If anyone's a slave of media that would be someone who feels the constant need to label.

You're NOT stuck in the middle.

You've clearly picked a side, and want to claim a moral high ground.

Want to be in the middle?

Let the labels go. Stop using the talking points from the media you claim doesn't brainwash you but others.

Think of yourself as the individual.

There are others who have leanings that are to what you would call the left that do agree with you on certain issues. There are those on the right or conservative that have leanings that some would call liberal.

But they are individuals.

Stop treating politics like it's a sport.

Don't be a sheep, stop hiding behind labels. Do what's best for you & your family, not some political party that will turn on you when it's expedient for them.

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

It is only left or right with most of these people. Get ready to be labeled.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Someone on the left telling someone else to "drop the labels". :confused:

7. Fancuku macrumors 65816

Fancuku

If you think that people of the left are out of their minds then you are alright :D

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

And some never see the trap they are in... :(

9. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

That may hold true in PRSI or even out in the world, but being labeled does not mean we are what someone has labeled us. And anyway, so what? It's not a crime yet to be a Republican or a Democrat.

What's in a label? Someone's idea of the ingredients of policy or a foodstuff? Truth in labeling has perhaps come sooner to canned beans than to US politics. The main purpose of labeling these days in politics is to obscure who's paying for the labels getting thrown around. Meanwhile Americans grow more educated and more aware that just because some outfit calls itself People for True Environmental Justice doesn't mean it might not be lobbying to drill for natural gas in arctic wildlife refuges.

To buy into a label someone else sticks on you is to concede that the big lie works and that whoever talks the loudest --about how red green really is?-- is the winner.

I say just grow a thicker skin and press on discovering what you think could work or not work, and say so, and try to find support while also listening to counter arguments. Not all the stuff that "the other side" says is pure BS. When that becomes the case, American voters see it and a party fades from view pretty quickly. Which is why the Koch brothers work the Republican Party from the dark side of inside these days. Back when they tried to run their purely libertarian and extremely fringe ideas as actual Libertarians, their tickets polled like 1% or so. They're doing better so far as string pullers within the GOP, although the popularly supposed antichrist of government regulation that they managed to get into the White Houseo this time is not a safe bet and they knew it. They just figured like the rest of the GOP that Trump could be managed. Meanwhile the brand they chose to run their gig from is almost destroyed now thanks to this idiot, but that's getting close to off topic even if it does relate to the folly of political labels.

No one has all the answers, or has necessarily even defined a given issue sufficiently. I'd say this is especially so if a person consistently proposes blanket descriptions for entire groups of people or political parties or.. "the media", for instance. By now if we're paying attention we know that neither Republicans nor Democrats in Congress have monolithic views of much of anything. Both parties have their wings and fissures, which means, if anyone cares, that there is still room for reasonable people to negotiate at the center, unfashionable though that seems to have become.

The center shifts somewhat left or right, incrementally. I'd say that's not something we can't live with. What doesn't work for ordinary Americans is how obscenely big money drives the bus on governance -- despite what Americans say they want when they are polled. To me that means we're falling for the labels when we go to the voting booth, because big money buys those campaign ads that try to apply labels with super glue.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This message board heavily slants left so if you agree with the left you'll be fine.

11. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

This is Politics. You're either with us, or against us.

Well, I'm against Republicans AND Democrats. I disagree with the Left and the Right, since I view them as being opposite sides of the same coin. If I were to be labeled it would be an Agitator, a political troublemaker. I ain't with them, so I'm against them.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no conservative bones? maybe that just means you're a spineless right winger? :p

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yea, you never use labels. :rolleyes:

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Lost in cynicism.

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm not the one who said drop the labels. I also don't consider describing someones politics as a label. Not anymore than referring to them as tall or short.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

First, if not a description, what is a label for? Second, who are you to label someone else's politics?

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

A centrist? If you need a label. Why sign up for a label?

I do get tired of what people call my party (still the Democrats) sometimes -- even though I fairly often call out the Dems myself for assorted failures as I perceive them. It's especially annoying that people call the Dems liberals these days, since I'm a progressive and can tell a liberal idea from one generated by a donation from Goldman Sachs.

The last truly liberal ideas the Dems managed to implement were probably about 40 years ago during the Carter administration, judging from the disdain some Republicans and new Democrats alike feel free to express.

But maybe I do cling to how things went down in the neighborhood when we were kids: it was ok for me to call one of my brothers an idiot but when some guy from another tribe chimed in on that a little too enthusiastically then I was ready to sic my entire tribe on whoever that guy was, and follow him home carrying a baseball bat. I admit I'm still sort of like that about the Democrats. If you're one of us, speak up about our faults. If you're from the other side, well... leave the dining room table at my place before you start in on us as a party. Idea by idea I'm willing to debate. Body slams about "the left" and "liberals" usually get me to wondering why I invited you to my house.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

From what I've read of you you lean far more right than you do left

19. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Are the people on the right not fine?

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You're not stuck in the middle if you are using inflammatory phrases like "the left are out of their minds". You've already made a decision. A person truly in the middle might say both sides are out of their minds though. :D

But really, anyone can take issue with anyone. There are people on the left who take issue with the left. There are people on the right who take issue with the right. What does a middle position even look like anymore? The lines seem so blurred and no matter what position you take on an issue, others will criticize, left, right and middle.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2017 ---
    That depends. If they are trying to curtail the rights of gay people somewhere, than no. If they are trying to throw people off their health insurance, than no. If they have a "once you are out of the womb you are on your own" philosophy, than no.

On the other hand if they are just fiscally conservative and approach things from more that POV then fine. It just depends. I hate to frame it this way, but I don't know how to describe it..there are "nice" conservatives and there are ones that just want to be a jerk about everything and get some sort of conservative win on the board. Those people identify with Trump more. He just wants wins on boards and to blow up everything Obama did because he has some sort of weird fixation on him starting with the birther thing and doesn't care who he hurts in the process. Anyone got in the crossfire are just collateral damage to him. Unfortunately a lot of conservatives feel the same way.

That's just not good enough, we need to move past the team sports. Although as long as we have Trump in office, that won't happen.

21. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 601

iapplelove

But in my other thread about protests I did say both sides are out of their minds. I do feel they both are, just the left is a little more out there.

And I don’t feel that I’m automatically conservative if I disagree with the left. I’m not sure what that makes me.

But I’m very concerned about the future of this country, and this is why I post here sometimes.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2017 ---
    I would agree here, but still if you knew me personally you would know im very much in the middle. I get on Trump people just as much.

22. eatrains macrumors 6502

Hence the constant whiny victimhood from the right.

23. Zenithal macrumors G3

Ignore the Canadian.

OP, you be you. Being conservative or liberal is not set in stone. Modern media would like you to believe it is. The truth is, the variance within these politospheres is vast.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have to ask ... what's the value to this discussion?

Are we helping you work through some kind of personal issue?

Why should anybody care about your political stance?

Like Zenithal says, just be you.

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Remember Trump doesn't define the right, nor does Bannon, or really any of that entourage even if they're supposed to. FWIW I consider myself a fairly conservative lefty and the positions you take here are pretty far to the right of me.