So, what are the _believable_ rumours (iPhone 5S)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatsMeRight, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ThatsMeRight, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering, with probably two or three months away from a possible iPhone 5S annoucnement... what are the more believable rumours surrounding the iPhone 5?

I'm just not sure what to make of the rumours. A fingerprint scanner? 60 fps video? Slow motion video built-in? Especially the first one seems to be so anti-Apple, as it has been years since they really put something unique and new in a high-end smartphone.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. Dannel macrumors member

Rumor is always something people guess; but something is reliable, it would definitely be a fact. Just be patient to see what will take place :D

4. cynics macrumors G3

You're in luck my friend! The Android powered Motorola Atrix had a finger print scanner a couple years ago. So its neither unique nor new!

5. Lucille Carter, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I hope Apple does not put a finger scanner on the 5S and expect everyone to jump for joy! Apple needs to step up!:p

6. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

We'll let you know the reliable rumors sometime in September/October :p

Hope the fingerprint reader will appear at that time or at least on the iPhone 6.

7. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

I was talking about high-end smartphones. The fingerprint scanners that have appeared in smartphones, thus far, were unreliable and crap. :p

8. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

In time, the fingerprint reader will improve as technology progresses. Hope they may come up with a retina security reader as well. In time :D

9. cynics macrumors G3

Nope, not in my experience anyway. Atrix was high end at the time.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on who you ask. Believable is highly subjective -- even if bolded. To me, a rumor's a rumor. No sense in getting worked up over anything that isn't an official announcement as that's only good for setting one's self up for disappointment IMO.

11. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

No worries, I'm not even going to buy the iPhone 5S. I was just wondering what you guys think are the believable rumours. :)

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Apple did step up with the 5 hardware. It's everything I want in a phone.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Faster processor and better camera (100% probability in iPhone 2013 edition).

Same screen (95% probability)

1GB Ram (70% probability)

Those are my opinions.

14. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I agree. I can't see it being too much from that. It will be interesting if the iPhone 5(s) series gets more versions of iOS releases compared to the previous generations considering the RAM and processors improvements.

15. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mythbusters ran an episode where they took someone's fingerprints off of a wineglass and made a fake thumb that unlocked the fingerprint scanner of a security system...

----------

wonder if there's something hidden in IOS 7 (that no one has noticed yet) that would give out hints about new HW?

17. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I say it will run iOS7, be made by apple, announced a few days before orders go live, it will come in more than one color, it will be rectangle in shape, it will have a camera on the front and back, it will use a lightning connecter, there will be headphones in the box, it will be 4 inches or bigger, it will cost $199 to $399 on contact, and there will be a guy staying in a tent on tv.

18. AppleCruncher macrumors regular

Personally I think a fingerprint scanner is a stupid idea. I don't see any point in putting something like that into a normal consumer device.

----------

Now slow motion video would be cool. The son and I have been doing a lot of that these last couple of weeks with a Pentax WG-II. Pretty cool.

19. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

That is great but making the screen juist longer did nothing for me.:p

20. cynics macrumors G3

I'm glad there are other people out there that think the fingerprint scanner is dumb. Regardless I don't see them integrating new "additional" hardware into the "S" model release. Maybe on the 6, hopefully not though.