So what are the benefits of the 2011 iMAC vs the 2010- dumb question I know

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kapalua12, Jul 1, 2011.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

So I have a 1 TB 2010 i7 iMAC 27" with 12 GB ram and it runs fine.

I'm yearning for a Sandy Bridge iMAC with SSD, 3.4 processor and lots of OWC RAM but am disappointed with the lack of SATA 3 SSD installation decision by Apple and I don't really don't want to take apart a new iMAC to change the SSD. I run 2 OCZ Vertex 3's in Raid 0 in my PC and love it, but I love Apple more!

What differences will I notice other than a faster boot time? I know me and would end up maxing out the (potential) NEW iMAC if I bought it.

Is thunderbolt any big deal at this point in time as an early adopter? How "good" is the SSD Apple installs in it's BTO's?

Lots of decisions to make!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you don't provide any useful information on what you use your machine for (and you're asking the question in the first place) it probably doesn't matter at all. A faster processor will not help you check your email any faster.

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

It makes the lack of SATA3 irrelevant. Thunderbolt is significantly faster, so you could connect a faster external drive than you could connect internally.

4. ryu3000 macrumors member

ryu3000

Just stick with your Mac now. It's fine. You have no reason to upgrade for another 3 years.